DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Icon
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the mountains in Southern Utah. I have a good view of the transmitter site for OTA digital reception (25 milis away) so yesterday I hooked up the old antenna (15 years old) and pluged it into my 622.......................BANG I am able to receive ABC HD OTA with the antenna laying on the front deck!!!! My signal strength is 64. My question is, is a signal of 64 strong enough to work with an indoor antenna. I really don't want to get up on the roof and route some new coax all over the place.

· Legend
139 Posts
Steve H said:
I live in the mountains in Southern Utah. I have a good view of the transmitter site for OTA digital reception (25 milis away) so yesterday I hooked up the old antenna (15 years old) and pluged it into my 622.......................BANG I am able to receive ABC HD OTA with the antenna laying on the front deck!!!! My signal strength is 64. My question is, is a signal of 64 strong enough to work with an indoor antenna. I really don't want to get up on the roof and route some new coax all over the place.
My indoor antenna (30 miles from broadcast towers) is fine with anything over 60. The problem is that an outdoor antenna that gets a 64 is probably not going to get over 60 indoors. I think you are just going to have to experiment with a powered indoor antenna.

· Legend
167 Posts
wreck said:
My indoor antenna (30 miles from broadcast towers) is fine with anything over 60. The problem is that an outdoor antenna that gets a 64 is probably not going to get over 60 indoors. I think you are just going to have to experiment with a powered indoor antenna.
You will likely experience pixelation and some drops if you signal is below 70.

I occasionally have problems when my signal drops below 75.

anything in the 60's is troublesome ....good luck trying to DVR anything.

Gettting it up on the roof and getting that antenna high in the air is likely to yield some good results.

I got about 10 points more by rising my antenna 10 feet above my roof.

I got no signal from my antenna at ground level.

· Icon
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a "power" indoor antenna yesterday and it going to be returned. It could not find any signal at all.

· Legend
167 Posts
A powered antenna is not always better than a non-powered.

For example... I am 70 miles away from the transmission antennas..

when I use a pre-amp.... my signal strength actually decreases slightly.

Best thing to do... is get that antenna outside... and as high up in the air as you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.