DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why would there be a signal strength difference between tuner 1 & tuner 2 on any given satellite? I have two HR21-100 units on a slimline and it was installed approximately 3 months ago. Same issue with both recievers.

Just curious
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
bearcat250 said:
Why would there be a signal strength difference between tuner 1 & tuner 2 on any given satellite? I have two HR21-100 units on a slimline and it was installed approximately 3 months ago. Same issue with both recievers.

Just curious
Every tuner is a unique electrical device, so there will be some slight differences...

The signal levels should only be a point or two different here and there. It's normal.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
507 Posts
bearcat250 said:
Why would there be a signal strength difference between tuner 1 & tuner 2 on any given satellite? I have two HR21-100 units on a slimline and it was installed approximately 3 months ago. Same issue with both recievers.

Just curious
How different are they?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Every tuner is a unique electrical device, so there will be some slight differences...

The signal levels should only be a point or two different here and there. It's normal.
I understand that theory, but when both HR21-100's show approximately the same signal strenths on each tuner and there is a difference btween tuner 1 & tuner 2 I get curious and ask why.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
426 Posts
bearcat250 said:
Why would there be a signal strength difference between tuner 1 & tuner 2 on any given satellite? I have two HR21-100 units on a slimline and it was installed approximately 3 months ago. Same issue with both recievers.

Just curious
If I'm not mistaken, each tuner is fed from a different cable and a different LNB (unless you have a switch, in which case I have no idea how it works). If you're running two cables, one to each tuner, the LNBs and/or cable losses might be different. One way to tell is swap cables. if the difference follows, then that's probably what it is.

If you're using a switch, then I think the different LNB theory is still valid, but I'm not sure.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
bearcat250 said:
I understand that theory, but when both HR21-100's show approximately the same signal strenths on each tuner and there is a difference btween tuner 1 & tuner 2 I get curious and ask why.
It's not just a theory.

Again, a 1-2 point swing would be normal, as the tuners are man-made devices with hardware that can have some minimal but understandable variences.

No 2 model cars are exactly alike, no two model HDTVs, etc.

If you have 1-2 point variences, that's normal...if its more than 3 points on more than 1 transponder...you may have a tuner problem/issue.

One other cause could be the BBC's connected to each tuner line...they may also vary slightly. If you switch them, do the signal levels reverse? If so, the BBC's are the source of the differences.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,543 Posts
bearcat250 said:
I understand that theory, but when both HR21-100's show approximately the same signal strenths on each tuner and there is a difference btween tuner 1 & tuner 2 I get curious and ask why.
I think we gathered this from your first post.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have four cables from the Slimline, two to each reciever. Thats one cable for each tuner. I will swap the cables on each reciever and respond back with the results. Maybe that will tell us something.
Thanks for the responses
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
bearcat250 said:
I have four cables from the Slimline, two to each reciever. Thats one cable for each tuner. I will swap the cables on each reciever and respond back with the results. Maybe that will tell us something.
Thanks for the responses
Yes...again....if the "stronger tuner" changes when you reverse the input sat cables...then its NOT the tuner itself...but either the BBC, cable, or mutliswitch port variance. If the differences between the 2 tuners is 2 or less points on transponders...its not a big deal.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Sounds like perhaps a BBC or multiswitch issue more than a tuner.
I swapped cable & BBC, not just the cable, from tuner to tuner on both recievers & no difference. I just went up & down the ladder about 12 times to tweak the azimuth and elevation and got the signals as high as I think I can get them. 103C and 99C are averaging in the 70's and 80's and 101 is in the 90's. My picture is great on the two Olivea LCD tv's and good on the RCA rear projection. So I think I have done as much as I can. Thanks for your help.
Norm
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
452 Posts
bearcat250 said:
I swapped cable & BBC, not just the cable, from tuner to tuner on both recievers & no difference. I just went up & down the ladder about 12 times to tweak the azimuth and elevation and got the signals as high as I think I can get them. 103C and 99C are averaging in the 70's and 80's and 101 is in the 90's. My picture is great on the two Olivea LCD tv's and good on the RCA rear projection. So I think I have done as much as I can. Thanks for your help.
Norm
are they straight lines? what i mean, is there a ground block outside in the lines or possibly a diplexer? I'd check for corrosion inside the connectors or especially remove the diplexer, then replace the lnb if that doesn't work.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
I am having a similar problem with my HR21-100.
Signal levels were sig. lower on my Tuner 2 compared to 1. Removed the BBC and the levels were fine. Ordered 2 new BBCs and same problem. Switched the cables and problem stays with 2.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top