DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, all my signals are normally 80+, with mostly 95-100's on 101. Things are great, HD is awesome. Had our first rain tonight, since the install on Monday, and almost ALL the transponders showed zero on all satellites while it was raining!!!!

It was raining fairly heavy, but by no means a horrible storm. No lightning, not much wind, and the slimline on the pole mount seemed steady.

Is this normal? I think I only saw one transponder in a half hour above 0. I would expect them to be lower, but ALL zero?

Overall, the installer was professional and willing to do what I wanted, but did only have 1 months experience. The only obvious error I see is no grounding block outside. (Switch is inside and drives an H23 and D11).

What else could be wrong? Bad connectors? There is only about 6ft of coax outside...

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
kevred9 said:
First, all my signals are normally 80+, with mostly 95-100's on 101. Things are great, HD is awesome. Had our first rain tonight, since the install on Monday, and almost ALL the transponders showed zero on all satellites while it was raining!!!!

It was raining fairly heavy, but by no means a horrible storm. No lightning, not much wind, and the slimline on the pole mount seemed steady.

Is this normal? I think I only saw one transponder in a half hour above 0. I would expect them to be lower, but ALL zero?

Overall, the installer was professional and willing to do what I wanted, but did only have 1 months experience. The only obvious error I see is no grounding block outside. (Switch is inside and drives an H23 and D11).

What else could be wrong? Bad connectors? There is only about 6ft of coax outside...
fairly heavy rain is more than enough to temporily scatter a microwave signal.

are you sure there is no external ground block? is there one inside with a wire connected to the outside of the cable that runs back up to the dish?

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no grounding block outside, and while I watched him connect the wire on the outside of the cable to the dish, it is just hanging freely inside by the switch.

Funny thing is, on the outside, it is 2 feet from the dish to the electrical ground.

"Temporarily" scatter the signal completely on all satellites and all transponders for a half hour?

I'd say more than half our our storms here are much worse than the rain we just had... This really worries me...

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
kevred9 said:
Nope, no grounding block outside, and while I watched him connect the wire on the outside of the cable to the dish, it is just hanging freely inside by the switch.

Funny thing is, on the outside, it is 2 feet from the dish to the electrical ground.

"Temporarily" scatter the signal completely on all satellites and all transponders for a half hour?

I'd say more than half our our storms here are much worse than the rain we just had... This really worries me...
no ground will make a storm scatter much worse.

call directv, get a tech out there now. \

Grounding is critical

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Mertzen said:
Grounding is required; but are you saying that grounding has a relation to rain fade ?:nono2:
storms create static build up. no ground, no way to drain off the static/ excess static during a storm can result in more signal loss/

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
The Ka band signal will be effected by rain more the the old Ku band channels. Plus it doesn't have to be rain at your house that effects the signal, big clouds with lots of moisture in them between the satellites and your dish can also block the signal. I've had the signal go out 4 or 5 minutes before it even started to rain at my house.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
RAD said:
The Ka band signal will be effected by rain more the the old Ku band channels. Plus it doesn't have to be rain at your house that effects the signal, big clouds with lots of moisture in them between the satellites and your dish can also block the signal. I've had the signal go out 4 or 5 minutes before it even started to rain at my house.
Here is a question. I dont have a grounding block per say, the lines go to my multi switch, multi is connected to the house ground outside, the ground from the dish also connects to the house ground, is that ok?

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
compnurd said:
Here is a question. I dont have a grounding block per say, the lines go to my multi switch, multi is connected to the house ground outside, the ground from the dish also connects to the house ground, is that ok?
I've seen some people say that doing that is OK and others that say no it isn't, I don't know the correct answer to that question, sorry.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
compnurd said:
multiswitchs connected to a ground wire are ground blocks as well

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
curt8403 said:
multiswitchs connected to a ground wire are ground blocks as well
Here is another one, if i scrap the ground wire from the ground wire that connects to the MS on the MS, i see small sparks. Is that normal?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
curt8403 said:
NO! that is not normal
Ok, What from the ground wire would cause that if anyone knows? I can hold the wire fine and feel nothing. and i am not talking huge sparks, like smaller then the spark on a gas stove say

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
compnurd said:
Ok, What from the ground wire would cause that if anyone knows? I can hold the wire fine and feel nothing. and i am not talking huge sparks, like smaller then the spark on a gas stove say
a possible bad rcvr that is acting up. it would put a voltage on the ground side of the system, what rcvrs do you have

·
Hall Of Fame
4,987 Posts
curt8403 said:
check the outside of the sat in cable (when connected) to ground. any voltage is bad/
Got it. Will do it in the morning

I am going to check ground connected and ground not connected. for all i know it is the ground wire with the voltage

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
curt8403 said:
check the outside of the sat in cable (when connected) to ground. any voltage is bad/
Digital meters are so high impedance you'll almost always see a voltage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.