DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain Dish Network's policy on SV channels? I live in a town between Oklahoma City and Wichita, Kansas. My DMA is for Oklahoma City (barely) but there are significantly viewed channels from Wichita my area is approved for. The cable company even has wichita, oklahoma city and tulsa channels all on their system. (I know cable rules are different than satellite).

I also have distant locals from Denver and L.A. If I lose these distant locals I will really want to push for Dish to give me significantly viewed from Wichita. Is this possible? Will there be a way to make them give me SV channels I'm eligible for? Thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
If you are nice they may allow you to have ones which are on the list. They do not take kindly to someone trying to force them to do something they do not have to do. Maybe someone will post a link to the list.

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JohnH said:
If you are nice they may allow you to have ones which are on the list. They do not take kindly to someone trying to force them to do something they do not have to do. Maybe someone will post a link to the list.
Well, I didn't mean I would be rude. It's just that when SV's first became eligible for Dish customers a few months ago, I called Dish and asked them to add my SV channels (from a county by county list that was floating around this forum back then) and the Dish rep didn't even know what SV channels were! So I guess my question is, how can I get Dish to add them? Anyone had any luck with getting your SV's added on Dish?

·
AllStar
64 Posts
jericho said:
Well, I didn't mean I would be rude. It's just that when SV's first became eligible for Dish customers a few months ago, I called Dish and asked them to add my SV channels (from a county by county list that was floating around this forum back then) and the Dish rep didn't even know what SV channels were! So I guess my question is, how can I get Dish to add them? Anyone had any luck with getting your SV's added on Dish?
I have the same problem. I live 1/2 between OKC and Dallas though. The Dallas Distant Networks are considered "Significantly viewed" in my area. I called them about it. They told me they would be pulled by Dec 1st since they are Distant Networks. I asked if I could keep the ABC affiliate since it was considered "Significantly viewed" by the latest DMA charts and I don't have a local ABC affiliate. The rep had no idea what SV were. Based on what they were telling me it looks like they just look things up on the website like we can. He told me since if it wasn't part of my local DMA it would be pulled.

I sent a couple of differrent emails reccommending they make the SV or neighboring local networks available for those of us who don't get certain network affiliates.

·
AllStar
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sound like Dish phone reps really have no clue on what SV channels are. I think we need to get a question to a high up rep (even Charlie himself) on whether they can legally offer SV channels to customers after distants locals are gone.

·
Godfather
484 Posts
Ahem. With all due respect, John’s answer was a bit disingenuous.

The holdup with SV, and the reason it hasn’t panned out as many viewers naively hoped, is retrans consent. Unlike DNS, SV is not exempt from retrans consent requirements. The FCC’s SV list indicates which stations are eligible for statutory copyright licensing in which areas, but it does NOT confer actual permission to carry any channels anywhere. Further, there is no must-carry eligibility outside a station’s DMA, so the only way an SV station can be carried is if the station grants retrans consent rights. This is problematic because a station’s contracts with its network and/or syndicated program suppliers could preclude it from granting retrans consent outside its DMA.

Also, DBS companies have complained to the FCC that stations are not negotiating in good faith for retrans consent in SV areas, and I think there are still some ongoing proceedings on that issue.

Basically, E* either has the necessary agreements in place to offer a station as SV or it doesn’t, and calling and asking for it is neither more nor less likely to influence that process than asking for any other channel that E* doesn’t currently carry for whatever reason. Although CSRs may be uninformed about SV, this isn’t really the problem. You can talk to whomever you want, and you can play CSR roulette to your heart’s content, but you won’t get any SV stations E* does not have a contractual right to carry.

Finally, since SV is licensed under the same U.S. Code section as DNS, and thus potentially subject to the December 1 shutoff along with DNS, adding SV stations isn’t likely to be a high priority at E* right now.

Bottom line: if E* isn’t providing an SV affiliate for any given network in your area right now, it’s highly unlikely to start providing one by December 1, no matter what you do.

Sorry.

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Well out here in SW Okla. I have requested SV channels out of the Wichita Falls/Lawton DMA. KSWO channel 7/11 has even sent a request to be available in my county, but no go yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.