DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Hopefully simple question...

At my main home I have a SWM setup, whole home enabled with wired CCK, HR34, HR22, HR20.

I also have an R22, which I have had installed in a simple setup with a basic dish, single coax line straight to the receiver at my cabin (vacation home). I recently upgraded the TV there to an HD TV, so I need to upgrade the dish. It appears the R22 works as an HD receiver as well, according to the menu - I have already enabled 720p resolution and connected via HDMI, but I need a new dish...(currently have the old round dish)

What should I look for online for a basic dish that will be able to receive all HD channels? I only need one tuner, straight connection from the dish to the receiver, no switch or SWM needed. Also, I only have power when I am there and have a generator running. Will be installing myself...

Thanks!

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this dish something I can align myself using the on-screen software (how I did the last one) or do I need some sort of advanced signal meter?

From the searching I've done here on vacation homes it seems a second setup on the same account is allowed as long as the primary setup is suspended while we're at the second site, correct?

Thanks!

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
garywitt said:
Is this dish something I can align myself using the on-screen software (how I did the last one) or do I need some sort of advanced signal meter?

From the searching I've done here on vacation homes it seems a second setup on the same account is allowed as long as the primary setup is suspended while we're at the second site, correct?

Thanks!
right. the difficulty of aligning an slimline dish will depend on whether you have had any experience aligning dishes or not. some folks have gotten away with lignin the HD dishes using the built in signal meter.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
As long as nobody is using your DirecTV service at home at the same time you are using it at the cabin you are pretty much in line with DirecTVs TOS. I wouldn't hook the one at the cabin up to the internet though or you might get hasseled about it (although I'm guessing if you're running off a generator you might not have internet service there).

I was able to aim the Slimline 3 dish VOS posted a link to myself without any problems using the satellite meter built into the receiver. It is a big help to have another person who can watch the signal meters on the screen and tell you what the readings are though so you don't have to run back and forth.

You might consider getting this one instead though. It's the same dish but it comes with the two monopoles which you really should use if you are using the J moun-t that it comes with.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...SL3-LNB-Combo-(AU9SL3B)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

Make sure to get the j-mount pole as plumb as possible. Then set the tilt on the dish according to what it says on the DirecTV receiver when you enter the zip code for where you are at. Then place the dish on the pole and slowly move it side to side and try to get the signal readings as high as possible. Once you geta decent signal tighten the dish down onto the pole. Then use the fine adjustment bolt to keep adjusitng it side to side to really lock in on the signal. I moved about a quarter turn at a time and had my buddy keep calling out the level a few seconds after each turn I made. you'll see the readings slowly go up, and then start coming back down. Once it starts coming back down back up till you are at the highest reading you had. Once you get the side to side set lock it down in that direction and then move it up and down and get the best readings you can there. Lock it down in that direction and you are pretty much done. It took me about 15 minutes to do this and I got all my signals over 85%. It was my first time ever aiming a dish, I was actually suprised I didn't have more trouble.

Some of the other guys here with more experience might have a better way to do it but this worked out good for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.