Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Add features to parental control
----Ability to remove NON-ADULT channels from being manually entered by numbers

Add to Show descriptions
----Add original air date, actors, similar too

When add dual live buffers
----No loosing them when enter any non-live area of the dvr and not loose the pause points

Disk space meter
-----Make it selectable to display by % or hours and minutes

Expand Search
----More searchable categories and make it a saved search

Channels
-----We choose order

Interactive changes
----Interactive & mix can be used even if using both tuners

Series Links changes
----Record no matter channel comes on (except not subscribe to & not show via parental controls)
-----Need duplicate & repeat only record series link options

Delete options
-----Undelete folder
------Add an option to have a warning message before delete

When software updates
-------Messages to receivers list updates

Ratings
-------Recommendations we record via rating shows

Recording shows
------Record or unrecord shows via the record button no matter where found on the dvr
-------Series link, window pops up lets you to change settings

To Do List (History)
---------Time when show was deleted

MORE THAN A LIMIT OF 50 SERIES LINKS, WE SHOULD HAVE A LIMIT OF 250

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeremy W said:
These are impossible.
under current lack of hardware, the interactive cant be done, BUT MUST BE IN FUTURE

so if displaying time left is so impossible on the hd, how can dish network do it then ????????????????????

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
ebisads said:
under current lack of hardware, the interactive cant be done, BUT MUST BE IN FUTURE
MUST BE? Or what? DirecTV will go bankrupt if you can't use Active while recording two shows? Give me a break. Dedicating a tuner to Active is a stupid idea.
ebisads said:
so if displaying time left is so impossible on the hd, how can dish network do it then ????????????????????
I don't know how dish does it, but I know that they can't possibly give an accurate number. There are too many variables.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Jeremy W said:
MUST BE? Or what? DirecTV will go bankrupt if you can't use Active while recording two shows? Give me a break. Dedicating a tuner to Active is a stupid idea.

I don't know how dish does it, but I know that they can't possibly give an accurate number. There are too many variables.
But anyway, if the guide can work without a tuner dedicated, why can't interactive? (Or at least some parts...)

And if they can say "up to 30 hours" on 300gb, seems to me they can say "up to 15 hours" when at 50%. The key will always be up to, tho I have seen systems that say things like "based on your current usage, you will see about xx hours." These don't seem impossible, altho how helpful it might be is hard to say. If I had 5% left, should it say "you got up to 0 hours?"

I'm at least very happy a percent is available. I can do the rough math most of the time.

And I like the warnings. Based on actual usage not just the fact that some time has expired as in the Tivo.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeremy W said:

so having intelligent ideas for what we need for the future, so we have more features is a bad idea huh, ge who heard of progress

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
tibber said:
But anyway, if the guide can work without a tuner dedicated, why can't interactive? (Or at least some parts...)
The guide is downloaded to the receiver. It's just information that is stored, like downloading an MP3 and being able to listen to it while not being connected to the Internet. Active is a live video channel, like any other channel on DirecTV. It's channel 480 actually, but you can't tune to it directly. So using Active without having a tuner available is impossible.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Jeremy W said:
The guide is downloaded to the receiver. It's just information that is stored, like downloading an MP3 and being able to listen to it while not being connected to the Internet. Active is a live video channel, like any other channel on DirecTV. It's channel 480 actually, but you can't tune to it directly. So using Active without having a tuner available is impossible.
Yes and no. The base weather information is sent, like the guide, intermingled in the data stream, so it could be active at any time. And I'm sure that there are some other, mostly text based, bits of information that could (or might already) be in the datastream without a tuner requirement.

Sure, the ads, would be gone. And you couldn't go to a Mix channel. But some "interactive" stuff could be there.

(I'm basing this on the response given to Milominder in the wishlist thread when a D* person was asked about storing the zip code on disk.)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
tibber said:
Yes and no. The base weather information is sent, like the guide, intermingled in the data stream, so it could be active at any time. And I'm sure that there are some other, mostly text based, bits of information that could (or might already) be in the datastream without a tuner requirement.

Sure, the ads, would be gone. And you couldn't go to a Mix channel. But some "interactive" stuff could be there.
This is true, but it would require the interactive system to be redesigned. They'd probably have to totally dump the use of a video channel too, because having two different Active experiences based on whether or not both tuners are in use is unnecessarily confusing to the user. I think it's just better to take an all or nothing approach like they have now.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Jeremy W said:
This is true, but it would require the interactive system to be redesigned. They'd probably have to totally dump the use of a video channel too, because having two different Active experiences based on whether or not both tuners are in use is unnecessarily confusing to the user. I think it's just better to take an all or nothing approach like they have now.
Since they sell the active channel commercial time (one way or another, I don't know if its outsourced or not), you're probably right. I can see how they could do lowbandwidth text in the video windows if the tuner wasn't available or something simple like that, but it likely isn't worth the effort, as you say it would be unnecessarily confusing to many users.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
ebisads said:
Add features to parental control
----Ability to remove NON-ADULT channels from being manually entered by numbers
So you want to remove the kids channels from being entered manually or just everything but the prons?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.