DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Godfather
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mobile/pensacola DMA is one of the markets scheduled to be lit before the end of the year. I'm curious as to whether any sinclair broadcast group stations nationwide have been included in Directv's channel lineup nationwide.

Our local ABC affiliate is a Sinclair owned station, and negotiations to get their high definition signal have been stagnant with the local cablecos. Neither Mediacom nor Cox locally have abc in HD, and after November 30 of course Mediacom will lose carry rights for ABC entirely as a Sinclair station. That leaves Directv/Dish or OTA as the only options in my county to even receive WEAR/ABC, but there are of course many locations on the fringes where OTA is not acceptable.

If anyone has any information as to whether there are any Sinclair stations currently broadcast in HD on Directv, and that would at least give me a hint as to what the chances are of our ABC station being in the lineup. It would be a boon for Directv if they were the only HD carrier with our ABC affiliate.

·
Mentor
49 Posts
I live in Columbus Ohio and Sinclair owns both ABC and Fox networks here. We receive both HD channels through D* via Mpeg-4 feed. Hope that it helps. I know that you can go to D* website and put in your zip code and it will spit back all locals you should be receiving in your area in both SD and HD.

lbostons

·
DBSTalk Club Member
102 Posts
Teronzhul said:
The mobile/pensacola DMA is one of the markets scheduled to be lit before the end of the year. I'm curious as to whether any sinclair broadcast group stations nationwide have been included in Directv's channel lineup nationwide.

Our local ABC affiliate is a Sinclair owned station, and negotiations to get their high definition signal have been stagnant with the local cablecos. Neither Mediacom nor Cox locally have abc in HD, and after November 30 of course Mediacom will lose carry rights for ABC entirely as a Sinclair station. That leaves Directv/Dish or OTA as the only options in my county to even receive WEAR/ABC, but there are of course many locations on the fringes where OTA is not acceptable.

If anyone has any information as to whether there are any Sinclair stations currently broadcast in HD on Directv, and that would at least give me a hint as to what the chances are of our ABC station being in the lineup. It would be a boon for Directv if they were the only HD carrier with our ABC affiliate.
I'm up in Cantonment, and just switched from Brighthouse to D* a few months ago. I was able to put up an antenna in my attic and am picking up ALL stations that are broadcasting in digital/HDTV. If you are interested in the antenna I chose, check out the specs. I'm able to pick up the high band of VHF with this UHF antenna. It is a great antenna, and plus now I have some fault tolerance built if anything happens. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4228.html I got mine at Electronic Supply off of Pace Blvd for I believe somewhere around $55. This antenna will pick up from long distances.....Where are you located in Pcola?

Bill

·
Godfather
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info lbostons. Just what I was hoping to hear.

btalbot, I'm over in Santa Rosa county actually, and do currently have an outdoor mounted antenna (an in attic mount was unsuccessful at picking up fox at this distance) and I pick up everything quite well.

I however have friends and family in both pensacola and santa rosa that refuse to put up an antenna due to cosmetic reasons, and/or distance limitations. Some are already considering the switch to satellite due to the loss of WEAR on Mediacom, and I wanted to know if WEAR HD would give me a reason to suggest DTV over Dish.

Thank you for the suggestions though.

·
Mentor
42 Posts
Re: WEAR TV 3 Pensacola/Mobile...

I spoke with the general manager of WEAR a few days ago (he's a customer of mine) and asked him if Sinclair had an agreement in place with D* for carriage of their digital feed and he said as far as he knew, they do.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
102 Posts
Teronzhul said:
Thanks for the info lbostons. Just what I was hoping to hear.

btalbot, I'm over in Santa Rosa county actually, and do currently have an outdoor mounted antenna (an in attic mount was unsuccessful at picking up fox at this distance) and I pick up everything quite well.

I however have friends and family in both pensacola and santa rosa that refuse to put up an antenna due to cosmetic reasons, and/or distance limitations. Some are already considering the switch to satellite due to the loss of WEAR on Mediacom, and I wanted to know if WEAR HD would give me a reason to suggest DTV over Dish.

Thank you for the suggestions though.
WEAR is strange. I used to have Cox in Southwest Pcola, and they carried them, but not in HD. I think D*/Sinclair is offering $100 to switch to them for current subscribers of Mediacom. We (Pcola/Mobile) are supposed to have MPEG4 locals (digital) by the end of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.