DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VIP 622 and it is hooked up to a single TV. There are two separate cables coming into the back of the receiver from the dish (Satellite 1 & Satellite 2). I am getting a second television and it looks too complicated to try and hook up the second TV to the 622. My question is: Can I unhook one of the inputs to the 622 from the dish and run that cable to my new TV, which will be connected to a 301? I realize that I would loose the Picture-in-Picture feature and the ability to watch 2 separate programs as there would only be one signal input into the 622. Thanks...

·
Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
IF you have the dishpro plus twin lnb , you can run one line to your 301 and run one line to your 622. Then use the dish pro seperator that comes with the 622 and split that one line into two for your 622 and you will have a full functioning 622 and a full functioning 301. You lose nothing and gain everything.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
As to having one cable going into the 622. This does not work and you would need to do something like Mike has suggested. You just don't lose PIP when having one cable, the box will not function properly.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
lacruz said:
I have a VIP 622 and it is hooked up to a single TV. There are two separate cables coming into the back of the receiver from the dish (Satellite 1 & Satellite 2). I am getting a second television and it looks too complicated to try and hook up the second TV to the 622. My question is: Can I unhook one of the inputs to the 622 from the dish and run that cable to my new TV, which will be connected to a 301? I realize that I would loose the Picture-in-Picture feature and the ability to watch 2 separate programs as there would only be one signal input into the 622. Thanks...
I'm curious. What makes you think it would be easier to unhook one of the cables from the 622 and run it to the 2nd TV then to attach a cable to the home distribution of the 622 and run that cable directly to the 2nd TV.

·
Legend
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
saltrek said:
I'm curious. What makes you think it would be easier to unhook one of the cables from the 622 and run it to the 2nd TV then to attach a cable to the home distribution of the 622 and run that cable directly to the 2nd TV.
I tried that, followed the instuctions in the manuel and it did not work. I ran a cable from the "Home Dist." port in the back of the 622, then ran that to my VCR input of my 2nd TV, then ran VCR output to the 2nd TV. Followed the manuel directions for finding a "no signal" channel via the VCR. Then did the modulator setup screen. It was a no-go.

I will try it again tomorrow, but I must be missing something.

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Stop listening to Manuel and read the manual! :D

Did you match the off-air/CATV types for the 622's output and the VCR and TV's tuner inputs?

·
Godfather
483 Posts
lacruz said:
I tried that, followed the instuctions in the manuel and it did not work. I ran a cable from the "Home Dist." port in the back of the 622, then ran that to my VCR input of my 2nd TV, then ran VCR output to the 2nd TV. Followed the manuel directions for finding a "no signal" channel via the VCR. Then did the modulator setup screen. It was a no-go.

I will try it again tomorrow, but I must be missing something.
Do you have your VCR tuned to the proper channel?

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Yes.. make sure you are tuned to the proper channel. I would personally remove the VCR from the equation first and directly hook it up to TV2. Then Tune to the channel you have it set to broadcast on.

It should be pretty easy... I was even able to do it. ;) One thing you could do is do a autoscan on your TV and see if it picks it up. My guess is that as grooves suggested your VCR was not set to the proper channel or your VCR TV/VCR selection was not correct.

·
Legend
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
patmurphey said:
If your VCR can only tune channel 3 or 4 as input, it cannot receive the #2 TV output from the 622. The 622 #2 output uses "cable" channels (check the book) above 50 or so.

Pat
You were right guys...I had the VCR channel set to a station in the 20s, which was too low. When I reset the modulator to channel 73 for TV1 & 75 for TV2, then tuned VCR at TV2 to the same stations, the signal came in for both inputs (TV1 & TV2), if i toggle back and forth between the 73 & 75. Thanks so much, hopefully my 622 nightmares are over...especially since I no longer have to go out and buy 50 feet of dubbing cables! ( I was just going to run some video/audio cables directly from the TV2 outputs on the 622 directly into my VCR at TV2, which is in the next room, but it would require at least 50 feet of cabling to do that).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.