DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forums and didn't find anything so asking this...

I recently upgraded to a 622, I have it in single mode because i only have 1 tv.

How do you set it to record always on TV2? I thought this did it by default, I tried dual mode, setting record plus for TV2.

Reason I ask, I had a timer set (defaulted to tv2 - good) then another timer set right after that on a different channel (defaulted to tv1 - bad, wanted tv2 but didn't see any way to change it.)

my theory is that it went to tv1 because it was immediately after the timer set to tv2 and it seems like the timer started a min early, since tv2 was in use, it went to tv1. Is this correct?

If that is the case, then i'm guessing that i need to adjust the timers so that they don't start early or end late, is that correct? and in single mode it will go to tv2 then as desired.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just as follow up, I've been trying to set a timer by going to the guide, finding a program in the future and hitting select. Unfortunately not it looks like it ALWAYS picks TV1 instead of the desired TV2.

This actually worked earlier tonight, yesterday I set a timer and it defaulted to TV2 like I wanted, so then i could watch something else on TV1 at that time.

Now it looks like no matter when I pick the timer even if there are no conflicts it seems to default to TV1. How do i get it to default to TV2?

I have it in Single mode, I've also tried Dual but no luck, always goes to TV1, tried dish plus recording, enabled to TV2, but no luck.

This is getting frustrating, any ideas?

Thanks

·
Legend/Supporter
1,357 Posts
Are you trying to record a satellite chamnel or an OTA channel? OTA will always record on TV1.

·
Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
tskill said:
Reason I ask, I had a timer set (defaulted to tv2 - good) then another timer set right after that on a different channel (defaulted to tv1 - bad, wanted tv2 but didn't see any way to change it.)

my theory is that it went to tv1 because it was immediately after the timer set to tv2 and it seems like the timer started a min early, since tv2 was in use, it went to tv1. Is this correct?

If that is the case, then i'm guessing that i need to adjust the timers so that they don't start early or end late, is that correct? and in single mode it will go to tv2 then as desired.
That's exactly why the 2nd timer was set to record on TV1 - the start and end pad times caused a conflict between the two programs. If they air on the same channel, though, or it you use a default pad time setting of 1 minute before and 1 minute after, then the 622 will adjust the times to record both events on TV2 (I think).

By default, in single user mode, TV2 is the first choice for timers. You can change this (it's either in the preferences menu or the system install menu).

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I will try that. To answer the question of why care in Single mode, because would like to watch one channel on TV1 and record something else on TV2. Simple.

From reading some other posts, it seems like when you use the guide and set a timer now it keeps showing up as the timer is set on TV1. But from reading that seems like it is only a suggestion and doesn't really mean anything and if there is no conflict it will actually record to TV2 (in single mode), is that correct?

·
Mentor
36 Posts
I get the feeling you are confusing TV1 and TV2 with Tuner 1 and Tuner 2. In single mode, you can watch both tuners on TV1. Therefore, it doesn't matter what Tuner is recording your program, you can always watch the other Tuner on TV1. The only exception to this rule would be if two recordings were occuring at the same time. You then would have to watch one of the recordings unless you have an OTA antenna hooked up also. So, in single mode, it does not matter what TV it is set to record on, as that really represents the Tuner-not the TV itself.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
tskill said:
Ok I will try that. To answer the question of why care in Single mode, because would like to watch one channel on TV1 and record something else on TV2. Simple. ...
Simple yes, but you don't understand. :lol:

In Single Mode both televisions always view the same thing. During a Tuner 1 recording with Tuner 2 idle, changing the channel with either the TV2 or TV1 remote will change the view to the idle tuner.

·
Godfather
492 Posts
I have recorded 2 sat ch and 1 ota all at the same time, I do not know what tuned is recording what and do not care, it just works.
In single mode why do you care which one is recording and which you are watching?

·
AllStar
64 Posts
oljim said:
In single mode, why do you care which one is recording ...?
Most of the time you wouldn't, however, there is the rare occasion where it matters. For example, I like to pad all of my recordings +2/-2. Because of this, I need to make sure to stagger my recordings so the timers don't conflict. Let's say I have a show scheduled to record on tuner 1 from 7:00 - 7:30, and a show scheduled to record on tuner 2 from 8:00-8:30. In this scenario, I won't be able to schedule a recording from 7:30-8:00 because it will conflict with both tuners. The only solution is to reschedule the recordings so that the two flanking shows are both scheduled to record on the same tuner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.