DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Controversial Ad Pulled From Sirius

A commercial developed to run on Howard Stern's Sirius Satellite Radio channels was
pulled this week after garnering attention from other media sources. According to SiCap
Industries, the company that made waves with its "Sinus Buster" ads, decided to pull the
controversial spot despite an "extreme spike in sales."

In the commercial, Albany, N.Y. radio talk show host J.R. Gach endorses the benefits of
SiCap's "Sinus Buster" by saying the product is "The best sh*t that ever was... Sinus Buster."

Sirius began airing the commercial in its uncensored form but starting using an edited
version bleeping out the questionable language. A SiCap press release said Sirius
"has been forced to censor the spot thanks to a calculated negative publicity campaign
perpetrated against them by the media."

SiCap President Wayne Perry said he didn't want to give Sirius' "enemies a venue for
complaints" because "management has been very supportive concerning this commercial."

The company said it will continue to run other spots on Stern's Sirius channels. Sirius did
not comment for the story.

www.SkyReport.com - used with permission

·
Legend
137 Posts
Like Stern himself says, if you don't like him, don't listen. there are hundreds of stations on xm and sir, and even free radio. turn it off. sometimes he bugs me, I jsut turn it off. Usually listen though most of the time. If you don't listen to him, then why do you care what he or the station does? You think I care what some DJ in sticksville, ohio says about this or that? No. because I don't care about him. Also, obviously you don't listen to him as he is more then just saying dirty words. on the air.

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Yeah I never understood it either. A few years ago I was flipping though the FM (puke) dial, this is before satellite radio came about. One of the DJs on one of the stations said that super evil 'S word' and didn’t realize what he said until after the fact. I said to myself ‘cool he said (that word) on the radio. I guess no one ever reported it to the Federal Censorship Corporation because the station was never fined for it.

Satellite radio is about freedom, Stern is the savior for Sirius. I’ve been getting into his show lately, I listen during lunch, some of it can be boring, I hate when he rips on O&A, but I laugh a lot. If I can get into it more, I might even start subscribing to Howard TV for $13 month. On his show the other day he said the NAB or FCC or one of those alphabet soup idiot organizations starting attacking him because of the free preview on Sirius. HBO does free previews on satellite and cable where are all those ‘save the chchchiiiiildern’ wacks when it comes to that. How can anyone honestly say they support content restriction on INTERNET audio. Anyone who supports that, you don’t deserve oxygen. It’s bad enough TV and radio are censored due to completely asinine reasons like ‘obscenity’ and political correctness, the internet is all that’s left.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,526 Posts
Every three months, right on schedule, SSR releases yet another variation on the theme of "I can't believe he said THAT on the radio. PLEASE NOTICE ME!"

Once you get over the fact that this 60 year old teenage boy will say anything on the radio, there is nothing there.

Is this about "censorship" and all of that? No. Its about a one-trick act. He has a "right" to do whatever. Part of his one trick act is to pretend that there are people that want to shut him up. The reality is, as shown by the microscopic effect he had on SSR's bottom line, most people could not care less.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What Sam said.

Stern has his own little band of mentally-challenged juvenile pukes who think
saying naughty words out loud is "kewl". I just hope and pray that God doesn't
judge America on the likes of that foul-mouthed slug. The cops should arrest
Stern's wife for sleeping with an underage boy.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
I said to myself 'cool he said (that word) on the radio.
I've never understood why people think it's "cool" to use four letter words on the radio, or anywhere else for that matter. It shows a real lack of an ability to express oneself without sinking to the lowest common denominator.

·
Daydreamer
722 Posts
Nick said:
What Sam said.

I just hope and pray that God doesn't
judge America on the likes of that foul-mouthed slug. The cops should arrest
Stern's wife for sleeping with an underage boy.
Exactly, let us hope that he/she judges America on the likes of some of our past and present elected officials.

What are you talking about?.... Stern is single!

·
Daydreamer
722 Posts
Richard King said:
I've never understood why people think it's "cool" to use four letter words on the radio, or anywhere else for that matter. It shows a real lack of an ability to express oneself without sinking to the lowest common denominator.
So, do you only watch "G" rated films? And this from the person who posted a huge list of curse word filled "R" rated films in "HDTV Programming." Gee, what was your favorite part of "Deliverance"?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Richard King said:
Why? They're just word, words are nothing more then the meaning we put in them. The whole idea that words can be bad is so funny. How can a word be bad? It can't! Murdering some one is bad, saying that evil 'F word' when your favorite hockey team loses their first game of the year is not.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
So, do you only watch "G" rated films? And this from the person who posted a huge list of curse word filled "R" rated films in "HDTV Programming." Gee, what was your favorite part of "Deliverance"?
I post what they pick to show over the covered time period. As for "Deliverence" I saw it when it first came out in the theaters many years ago. While I stayed for the whole thing and enjoyed the movie, there have been some movies that I have also walked out on, "Clockwork Orange" being one that I recall. I left in the first 10 minutes along with about 20% of the theater. I may have stayed if not for the company that I brought along. It's not a "date" film. :lol:

Why? They're just word, words are nothing more then the meaning we put in them. The whole idea that words can be bad is so funny. How can a word be bad? It can't! Murdering some one is bad, saying that evil 'F word' when your favorite hockey team loses their first game of the year is not.
You still haven't informed me of why it is "cool" to use four letter words though. What's "cool" about being able to wiggle your vocal chords to make sounds that some people feel are offensive?

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Because it’s unusual to hear that ‘awful’ language on the FM airwaves, due to the uptightness of this country. Maybe we should just ban everything that everyone finds offensive? That way all the chchchiiillldern will be protected and we won’t hurt the widdle feelings of those that want government organizations to be their safety blanket from hearing this pure evilness.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Because it's unusual to hear that 'awful' language on the FM airwaves
So would farting or belching into the microphone. But then, those who are impressed by four letter words would probably be impressed by that also. :rolleyes:. None of that tells me why it is "cool" though. Neither saying four letter words, belching or farting takes any special ability or talent, unless of course you can do it on key with a song. THAT I would be impressed by.

·
Super Moderator
53,902 Posts
Stern's program is right where it belongs ... on subscription radio. If he wants to air commercials not fit for terrestrial radio fine. It just reminds us of why he's not fit for terrestrial radio --- when all else fails they go for the cheap laugh of using a vulgarity.

I'm sure he's had some valid content on his shows ... kinda like the articles that people buy Playboy for. But his whole life seems to be wrapped up in a package of "you can't do this on terrestrial radio". The days he does something that could be done on terrestrial radio he isn't the real Howard Stern - he's just another talk jock. Lesbian's describing sex, guests getting naked in the studio, descriptions of body parts and functions - that's Howard Stern at his best.

So let him live on Sirius --- let people pay for the priviledge of hearing his act. Let people pay more for more Howard Stern content as he turns into the Hugh Heffner of the 21st century. It is fine with me.

The only downside is with the lesser 'talented' shock jocks that he inspires. Those who don't have half billion dollar contracts who seem to think Howard is cool and push to the limits of their FCC licensed stations trying to be the next Howard Stern. Jocks that have to go a step further to be "more shocking than Howard Stern" just to make a name for themselves - instead of being better all around DJs who don't have to go below the belt to find "humor".

BTW: In case you want to ask be the question put to Richard ... No, I don't just watch G rated movies. Most of the movies I watch end up in the PG/PG-13 range and I often wonder why the creators felt that they needed to "juice up" the movie with so much crap when the story would be better without the "shocking words" and content. There are R rated films that are better when aired on TNT with most of the crap removed.

Of course I've also seen a few PG-13 movies where the crap was the entire movie - the plot wasn't deep enough to create an infomercial. But hire the right stars, give them one "tasteful" nude scene, some off screen sex and plenty of induendo and "shocking words" and you have a blockbuster. (Until the next crapfest film comes along.)

Unfortunately it is 'unusual' to hear a creative DJ who connects with their audience on the radio nowadays. There are a few ... but too many try to connect by sinking to the base subjects of sex and bodily functions than raising their audience up to a level of higher understanding.

·
Legend
137 Posts
Not to turn this into a what is better then what forum, but you said you don't like people using bad words. Your post above has the word 'crap' four times including the best, crapfest. Now I don't mind that word, but some do. Some consider any word like that bad. Like saying Penis or Poop. It's not bad, it's a word. I am of the opinion that people can listen and watch what they want when they want. Don't like it, move on. Like it, great. You don't even have to like what I like. I don't care. What i do care is people telling other people what to do and listen and watch. Before stern I was hearing horrible talent on FM morning, they talk about nothing, play no songs and say 'funny' things like, fart, or something like that. Now when HS came along and started to let us in on peoples personal stuff, like movie stars, it was great. He didn't ask fluff questions, he dove right in and asked the hard questions. You are right, people will pay to listen to HS on radio, internet, tv, books, dvd etc and we will until it stops being funny. I am not juvinile, nor are many of his fans. yes, some are. BTW he is 50 not 60. I mean I saw some stuff in my life that was shocking and then I saw soemthing on HS that I would never thought possibe. Someone actually coming to terms in real-time with their own emotions about a drug problem that many never knew. That is real. BTW, some of the articles in Playboy are actually interesting to read about. Not the sex stuff, I mean the stuff they ask important people like lawyers and judges. And for someone claiming to be against that stuff, how would you know what is in playboy?

End of Rant.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.