DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
There are probably contracts in place that aren't changed by the fact that there was a merger, so any changes (other than the tweaking of channel lineups like what has already has happened from time to time) would probably come when those contracts were up.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
12,971 Posts
The companies are still pretty much run as they were. Programming, for instance, for all current hardware will be either Sirius or XM with a few channels from the other system eventually thrown in. New packages (including a la carte and everything packages) will take new radios that don't exist yet. So don't expect changes that quickly.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,500 Posts
loudo said:
I would think for the purpose of conserving bandwidth, they would combine a few of the stations that are closely duplicated on both services.
It does not work that way at all.

The XM radio system and the Sirius radio system at two totally different and incompatable technologies. There is no bandwidth savings whatsoever. It is impossible for an XM receiver to receive signals from the SSR sat and v-v.

What will probably happen is that they will eventually merge programming, with channel 85 on both systems playing the same thing, but an XM radio will still be looking at a different bird.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
loudo said:
I would think for the purpose of conserving bandwidth, they would combine a few of the stations that are closely duplicated on both services.
Do they work the same way D* and E* does? Do XM and Sirius decrease the feeds sent out to customers? I have no idea as I don't currently either service, but probably will since the person I carpool with has it.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,789 Posts
tonyd79 said:
The companies are still pretty much run as they were. Programming, for instance, for all current hardware will be either Sirius or XM with a few channels from the other system eventually thrown in. New packages (including a la carte and everything packages) will take new radios that don't exist yet. So don't expect changes that quickly.
im not sure about that part about the radios dont exist yet....here are the packages including a la carte packages that u will be able to get i think even on current radios:

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xms-postmerger.html
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
12,971 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
im not sure about that part about the radios dont exist yet....here are the packages including a la carte packages that u will be able to get i think even on current radios:

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xms-postmerger.html
They may exist in a lab or a development sense but they are not available nor have they even been announced.

The deal was that a la carte radios would be available about 3 months after the merger and super radios (able to get both services) about a year (or was it 9 months...not sure).
 

·
RIP
Joined
·
6,198 Posts
tonyd79 said:
They may exist in a lab or a development sense but they are not available nor have they even been announced.

The deal was that a la carte radios would be available about 3 months after the merger and super radios (able to get both services) about a year (or was it 9 months...not sure).
Tonyd,

Mel Karmazin has stated that the dual band radios do exist but obviously they haven't been mass produced. I think you'll start to see them before Christmas this year....if they get lucky.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,115 Posts
tonyd79 said:
The deal was that a la carte radios would be available about 3 months after the merger and super radios (able to get both services) about a year (or was it 9 months...not sure).
Out of ignorance (or stupidity), what would be the difference between a la carte radios and super radios since (I assume) both would be able to receive both services?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
QuickDrop said:
Out of ignorance (or stupidity), what would be the difference between a la carte radios and super radios since (I assume) both would be able to receive both services?
Who knows :whatdidid Personally I wish D* would get rid of the radio channels :raspberry
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
311 Posts
My mother would likely drop DirecTV if they dumped the music channels. 50% of the time her service is on it's on one of those channels.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,862 Posts
tonyd79 said:
The companies are still pretty much run as they were. Programming, for instance, for all current hardware will be either Sirius or XM with a few channels from the other system eventually thrown in. New packages (including a la carte and everything packages) will take new radios that don't exist yet. So don't expect changes that quickly.
But every new package won't require a new radio. The CEO of the company said Wednesday on Stern's show that all existing XM customers would be able to buy a package of a few select Sirius channels (including Stern's) and receive it using their current legacy XM radios, and there will be a package of a few TBD XM channels made available on legacy Sirius radios. Other more extensive "combination" packages will require a new radio. What you won't ever see is Stern's channels on DirecTV.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
12,971 Posts
cartrivision said:
But every new package won't require a new radio. The CEO of the company said Wednesday on Stern's show that all existing XM customers would be able to buy a package of a few select Sirius channels (including Stern's) and receive it using their current legacy XM radios, and there will be a package of a few TBD XM channels made available on legacy Sirius radios. Other more extensive "combination" packages will require a new radio. What you won't ever see is Stern's channels on DirecTV.
But with the current radios, Sirius XM will pick the channels from the "other" service. The current radios will not be able to do a la carte. There will be 11 channels from the other service as an add on package.

As for the existance of dual service radios. Yeah, they made something so they could say they existed prior to the merger to satisfy the government. I seriously doubt those will be the same radios they eventually release.

And, yes, the a la carte radios are different in that they do not receive both XM and Sirius but allow flexible programming within a single system. (Remember, the 11 XM channels on Sirius and vice-versa are actually on the system you subscribe to, it is not like XM radios are going to get Sirius broadcasts, they are going to get XM simulcasts of Sirius channels.) The dual band radios will be able to get everything from both systems. I have not seen if they will be a la carte or not (I assume they will) as there has not been an all-everything package detailed that I remember.
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top