DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to HD with a ViP622. I have an existing two-LNB Dish 500 for 110 and 119. The installer set up a second Dish 500 with single LNB for 129.

According to SatFinder, the skew for 129 (Telstar 7) at my location is supposed to be 6.0, but the skew on my 129 dish is 0. Since I'm getting signal strength on 129 in the 50-70 range, would changing the skew improve the signal strength?

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assumed that no skew was required for a single satellite, but I was surprised to see a skew setting for 129. I guess I assumed that 129 is never combined with another sat on the same dish.

·
Icon
687 Posts
Technically there are 2 terms used. "Skew" and "Tilt"

What we are calling Skew is actually tilt. Skew has to do with the polarisation of the beam and way over my head to explain.

·
Godfather
297 Posts
Well it's not like setting skew when aiming for a single satellite if one was using a dish with a skew adjustment would be wrong.. I mean I dont think it would.. it's just that it's not really necessary.

I mean obviously a skew setting has some degree of relevance even when discussing one sat because when trying to determine a skew setting for two sats you're using the actual skew settings for each sat and splitting the difference. Thats how the skew setting for a multi-slot dish is determined.

It's just that when aiming at any one sat theres usually plenty of signal strength to where a skew setting doesnt really matter.

Does make me wonder though if in the case of like 129 at my place where the calculator calls for a skew of 26 for that one bird alone, if it wouldnt be a good idea to use that setting if I had a dish aiming at only that one bird and the dish happened to have a skew adjustment. Since any little bit of signal gain from that crippled bird couldnt hurt.

I have a Dish1000 so never tried cause the skew setting I must use of course is determined by the other 2 sats as well.

·
Mentor
35 Posts
EricM1 said:
I just upgraded to HD with a ViP622. I have an existing two-LNB Dish 500 for 110 and 119. The installer set up a second Dish 500 with single LNB for 129.

According to SatFinder, the skew for 129 (Telstar 7) at my location is supposed to be 6.0, but the skew on my 129 dish is 0. Since I'm getting signal strength on 129 in the 50-70 range, would changing the skew improve the signal strength?
I think skew only applies to dishes which are not round.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
When picking up single linear polarized satellites (non dbs satellites) skew is a requirement and is done either by skewing the dish or rotating the LNB. When picking up single circular polarized satellites (dbs satellites) skew doesn't matter. The only reason there is a skew on dishes picking up multiple sats is to adjust for the relative "height" in the sky of the two (or more) satellites.

·
Godfather
297 Posts
Richard King said:
When picking up single linear polarized satellites (non dbs satellites) skew is a requirement and is done either by skewing the dish or rotating the LNB. When picking up single circular polarized satellites (dbs satellites) skew doesn't matter. The only reason there is a skew on dishes picking up multiple sats is to adjust for the relative "height" in the sky of the two (or more) satellites.
Ah.. nice concise answser.

Thanks, Richard.

·
Icon
687 Posts
Richard King said:
Correct. That's why I refer to it as tilt instead of Skew but was at a loss for words. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.