DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 3 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
litzdog911 said:
That's not a supported configuration. Why would you recommend someone setup something that's not supported???
Because the customer might be unable or unwilling to run a second coax cable.

There is no theoretical obstacle to diplexing SWM and off-air, but DirecTV has determined that it simply doesn't want to incur the responsibility of supporting such installations. There are a lot of reasons why they may have determined that they do not want to support such installations. I'm sure they don't support installations of dishes attached to growing trees, nor installations with 1,000 feet of coax and line extender amplifiers and creative LNB voltage boosting techniques either, but sometimes a customer decides that is the only way or most practical way to complete their installation.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
I didn't say DirecTV should offer to do the installation. I said it will work and that the customer may benefit from it.

Substitute "hypothetical" or "contingent" for "theoretical", if you will. The customer can get the benefit of single wire support by self-installing an SWiM and diplexing it with his off-air signal. I personally don't give a damn whether DirecTV is willing to "support" this installation. I am only concerned with accommodating the wants and needs of tvsportsman. If he wants to do this, it will work for him. He just needs to have either an SWiM LNB installed on his dish if they are physically compatible, or he needs to replace his SLM dish assembly with an SWiM one.

As memory serves me, one could put a baseband converter "above" the diplexer and electronically shift those Ka-lo frequencies up to the L-band to support diplexing. I never did that, but others here have reported having done so.

I have done a lot of installations in multiple dwelling units that DirecTV shuns. Sometimes I diplex DirecTV and off-air. Sometimes, I diplex SWM and cable, which is finicky because of the closeness of the SWM upstream signal and the cable company's return signal. Sometimes a cable TV technician making a service call just disables the DirecTV system without having any basis for doing so, other than the fact that he doesn't understand it. Then the customer is either coached by me over the phone to get all his services back or he pays me to reconnect him. All of those customers prefer that to not being able to get the TV services that they desire into their residential unit.

1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.