DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
AntAltMike said:
There is no theoretical obstacle to diplexing SWM and off-air, but DirecTV has determined that it simply doesn't want to incur the responsibility of supporting such installations.
Actually if you're "looking forward", there is an "obstacle" and it's called DECA.
While the customer may not want/start with it, why should DirecTV do an install that can't offer the customer everything offered?

Before SWiM, you couldn't diplex because of Ka-lo.
SWiM moves the Ka-lo out of the band.
DECA comes back into the band.

This isn't "theoretical".

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
AntAltMike said:
I didn't say DirecTV should offer to do the installation. I said it will work and that the customer may benefit from it.

Substitute "hypothetical" or "contingent" for "theoretical", if you will. The customer can get the benefit of single wire support by self-installing an SWiM and diplexing it with his off-air signal. I personally don't give a damn whether DirecTV is willing to "support" this installation. I am only concerned with accommodating the wants and needs of tvsportsman. If he wants to do this, it will work for him.

I have done a lot of installations in multiple dwelling units that DirecTV shuns. Sometimes I diplex DirecTV and off-air. Sometimes, I diplex SWM and cable, which is finicky because of the closeness of the SWM upstream signal and the cable company's return signal. Sometimes a cable TV technician making a service call just disables the DirecTV system without having any basis for doing so, other than the fact that he doesn't understand it. Then the customer is either coached by me over the phone to get all his services back or he pays me to reconnect him. All of thoise customers prefer that to not being able to get the TV services that they desire into their residential unit.
You've just made a very good post showing why DirecTV doesn't support this.
And as to tvsportsman, the only receiver mentioned has DECA, so it has to be addresses, and diplexing doesn't work, "without" some serious consideration.
Yes, you or I can setup all sorts of custom installs/systems, but we have to support them, and customers won't get DirecTV support.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
There are "standards" that are supported. One of the reasons is "anyone" can work/repair the system.

Now to step outside of "the standards", one must know everything about what's going on, so any changes to the system, works without causing other problems.

"In this case" the thread starter didn't give enough information to vary from a "standard" install.

All of those that came in to say "no it will work", were doing this without all the facts, thus were just "blowing smoke".

"Frankly" I see no benefit for anybody listening to "smoke blowers". :nono:

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
bobnielsen said:
you could install a bandstop filter at the input to the receiver to block this.
"And" what happens to the DECA when the signal gets bounced back with no attenuated?
The wireless CCK, which can be connected directly to another DECA, has an internal 10 dB attenuation.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
bobnielsen said:
Good point. I don't know what might happen, but a 10 dB attenuator would ensure that there was a decent match and sufficient loss to minimize any problems.
The DECA is fairly "high power" [in the range of 0 dBm or more].
The wireless CCK, has "some tricks" to attenuate the DECA on either end, while not attenuating the SWiM passing through it.

1 - 6 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.