DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Davenlr said:
Jodean, the receiver he said he has, contains built in DECA. Deca uses the same frequency. He would not be able to do what you say he can do, with that box.
If there is only one receiver and you aren't trying to use DECA for connecting to the router, diplexing should work. The DECA signal out of the receiver may interfere with some OTA channels but you could install a bandstop filter at the input to the receiver to block this. Of course it is unsupported and future expansion is limited but it will work for feeding OTA to a AM21. It might also be better to not use green-label splitters.

Those of us who already have dual coax installations (from the pre-SWM days) have an available cable to use, which is preferable, but not everyone can do this.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
bobnielsen said:
you could install a bandstop filter at the input to the receiver to block this.
"And" what happens to the DECA when the signal gets bounced back with no attenuated?
The wireless CCK, which can be connected directly to another DECA, has an internal 10 dB attenuation.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Because the customer might be unable or unwilling to run a second coax cable.

There is no theoretical obstacle to diplexing SWM and off-air, but DirecTV has determined that it simply doesn't want to incur the responsibility of supporting such installations. There are a lot of reasons why they may have determined that they do not want to support such installations. I'm sure they don't support installations of dished attached to growing trees, nor installations with 1,000 feet of coax and line extender amplifiers and creative LNB voltage boosting techniques either, but sometimes a customer decides that is the only way or most practical way to complete their installation.
Just because something is THEORETICALLY possible does not mean we should recommend it be done. We would only be setting up this person for trouble down the road, and why do that?

·
Registered
255 Posts
txsportsman said:
I have a SL3 dish with one output and wanted to add an off the air antenna to my system, since some local channels are missing. I have a SWM system with the HD25 receiver and the zinwell msplit8r1-03 splitter. Thanks
I believe that it is more correct to say that DirecTV NO LONGER supports diplexing Sat and OTA.
Timeline:
SD/Ku: Supported OTA integration/diplexing.
HD/Ka: Overlapped lower-UHF band. Even though HR20 had an integrated OTA tuner, DirecTV expects that user will run a second coax.
SWM: Introduction of SWM5 and SWM8 units (overlapped band stacked/conflict removed). SWM8 has built-in OTA diplexed input (conclude that OTA diplexing is again supported.
SWM16 or SWM Dish: No built-in provision for OTA diplexing.
DECA: Back to overlapped band.

I have all 4-outputs on an SL5 connected to a pair of SWM8's (2 outputs to each), via an E2-Expander with a single PI powering both SWM8's. I also have a single (attic installed... as is all of the SWM equipment) omni-directional OTA antenna connected to each SWM8 OTA INPUT PORT (OTA output split via 1X2 to provide for both SWM8's).
The diplexed output on each SWM8 is fed into a 1X4 splitter, for a total of 8 outputs, 7 of which feed HDDVR's, the Sat and OTA diplexed out at the HDDVR's. (The diplexers are ugly, but less so than the pre-SWM8 BBC's, and certainly less than a second coax).
The remaining output, I have connected directly (no receiver) to the input on a little used guest room HDTV for OTA reception only (no diplexer required).

4 of the DVR's are VOD-connected through wifi extenders.
I do not need WHV since all rooms have dedicated DVR's (HR20's and HR21's), so I have no plans to implement DECA.
Newer subs, especially with the introduction of the HR34, cannot comprehend the DVR redundancy, but this was the way it was done back then.
This installation may be crude compared to today's technology but was the best (only) solution for 16-tuner, networked, OTA-diplexed capabilty, 6 years ago, and I keep it because it is still (by far) the simplest solution versus implementing the latest equipment.

Note: There are also "legacy" output ports on the SWM8, but these are NOT OTA diplexed, and I have not used these outputs for ~ 5 years after deactivating the last of the old (Sony A50/B50) equipment.

Would I recommend diplexing OTA, while taking advantage of the latest (DECA, etc.) technology?
If you can figure out what to do and can install it without any assistance, and this includes asking others on this forum (goes w/o saying DirecTV will be zero help), then yes, otherwise get some (powered) rabbit ears, bypass the SWM, and connect those directly to the receiver.

·
Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
veryoldschool said:
"And" what happens to the DECA when the signal gets bounced back with no attenuated?
The wireless CCK, which can be connected directly to another DECA, has an internal 10 dB attenuation.
Good point. I don't know what might happen, but a 10 dB attenuator would ensure that there was a decent match and sufficient loss to minimize any problems.

·
Premium Member
41,526 Posts
bobnielsen said:
Good point. I don't know what might happen, but a 10 dB attenuator would ensure that there was a decent match and sufficient loss to minimize any problems.
The DECA is fairly "high power" [in the range of 0 dBm or more].
The wireless CCK, has "some tricks" to attenuate the DECA on either end, while not attenuating the SWiM passing through it.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.