DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
I like how they assume XBox 2 and PS3 will kill current PVRs off. Somehow I don't see my Grandmother running down to Babbages and buying the latest game system to save her latest Jeopardy shows on. :rolleyes:

· Icon
622 Posts
It's a compelling article. I think it makes valid points about cutting edge technology (or in this case, cutting edge uses of technology since the PVR is contructed out of very mainstream components).

The comparison of Amiga devotees and Tivoites is striking.

I do wonder if Tivo can survive alone or even as a subsidiary of some other company.

(full disclosure: I own both ReplayTV units and DirecTivo units, plus stock in both SonicBlue and Tivo)

Tivo needs to ramp up its business of planting their service in other boxes. DirecTV is a good start, but the cable market is the motherlode in this industry. I hope they can land some good contracts in that arena too. (I trust Tivo to develop PVR functionality much more than I trust the cable companies to do it on their own!)

Still to be added to this mix is VOD from the headend. The 'pipe' is not fat enought yet for widespread VOD but eventually it will be. However, I see the cable companies and content providers trying to ramp up copy protection and trying to force us to pay every time we want to watch something. PVRs are nice that they capture programming and allow us to review it an unlimited amount without additional cost.

If PVR companies were to disappear (unlikely, but just for arguements sake) I would build my own PC based unit. I refuse to let go of PVR capabilites.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.