DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Godfather
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why standard ird's would give you the option for slimline 3 and 5lnb in the guided setup? I assume its to tell the rec. to work with a swm setup as opposed to the normal setup (assuming the rec. sends different signals to control the swm) but when the guide loads it shows mpeg2 hd channels in the guide and turning to them just gets you a banner and a black screen. Wondering what sense it makes to have hd channels showing on a standard rec. that obviously cant display them. I know the mpeg 2 hd's will be going away eventually but until then it will be very confusing for new installs that have an hd rec. and sd rec.'s if the tech sets 5lnb or slimline 3lnb on the sd rec. and they show info for hd channels that cant be watched on those rec.'s. Something else that was interesting. A guy in a 72 market got a local upgrade, standard ird's were set to 5lnb in the guided setup and he got searching for sat on all locals on his sd receivers. Changing the guided setup to a 3lnb (not swimline 3) corrected the issue. (posted this in another thread but thought i could get more answers here by posting my own instead of kinda hijacking another thread)

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
wprince614 said:
Anyone know why standard ird's would give you the option for slimline 3 and 5lnb in the guided setup? I assume its to tell the rec. to work with a swm setup as opposed to the normal setup (assuming the rec. sends different signals to control the swm) but when the guide loads it shows mpeg2 hd channels in the guide and turning to them just gets you a banner and a black screen. Wondering what sense it makes to have hd channels showing on a standard rec. that obviously cant display them. I know the mpeg 2 hd's will be going away eventually but until then it will be very confusing for new installs that have an hd rec. and sd rec.'s if the tech sets 5lnb or slimline 3lnb on the sd rec. and they show info for hd channels that cant be watched on those rec.'s. Something else that was interesting. A guy in a 72 market got a local upgrade, standard ird's were set to 5lnb in the guided setup and he got searching for sat on all locals on his sd receivers. Changing the guided setup to a 3lnb (not swimline 3) corrected the issue. (posted this in another thread but thought i could get more answers here by posting my own instead of kinda hijacking another thread)
What you are seeing is normal, but seems to be unplanned. It does not work as expected, and causes problems for the 72.5 and 119 markets. I think it is an attempt at standardizing software for all rcvrs.

· Godfather
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
curt8403 said:
What you are seeing is normal, but seems to be unplanned. It does not work as expected, and causes problems for the 72.5 and 119 markets. I think it is an attempt at standardizing software for all rcvrs.
So a tech installs a 5lnb dish and programs all ird's for 5lnb dish and the locals off the 72 are lost until the sd rec. is reprogrammed to a 3lnb dish, hd rec. got locals the whole time. Most techs are going to assume you set the dish type to what was installed. I see this causing alot of problems for techs and customers

· Registered
8,035 Posts
wprince614 said:
So a tech installs a 5lnb dish and programs all ird's for 5lnb dish and the locals off the 72 are lost until the sd rec. is reprogrammed to a 3lnb dish, hd rec. got locals the whole time. Most techs are going to assume you set the dish type to what was installed. I see this causing alot of problems for techs and customers
If setup correctly, it's not an issue.

What should have been done, is the receiver needs to be set for 5 LNB for the main dish, and "Installed" for the 72.5.

What is happening is that the control signals are getting all jacked up by not being set correctly.

· Godfather
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RobertE said:
If setup correctly, it's not an issue.

What should have been done, is the receiver needs to be set for 5 LNB for the main dish, and "Installed" for the 72.5.

What is happening is that the control signals are getting all jacked up by not being set correctly.
Thats what i figured as far as the signals getting messed up but if i remember right i thought the 72.5 did show installed and it was still messed up. I could be wrong on that but either way i wouldnt think the ird would show the locals from the 72 in the guide at all if it wasnt setup for the 72 either by autodetect or setting it as "Installed."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.