DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· AllStar
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how new this is but I got my new dish installed Monday under the movers program.
Installer put in a Slimline 5 FTM which has just the single coax output and then a SWM8 in the attic. He basically connected the dish's single output on to where the cable input would be and that was that.
Certainly makes for a clean and easy installation.

Leaves me lots of room for growth, considering I currently have single HR20 receiver :D

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,543 Posts
Pretty extraordinary to use an SWM anything with only a single receiver. The rumor was that SWM equipment was reserved for the 5+ tuner crowd. So much for rumors.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
sabex said:
Not sure how new this is but I got my new dish installed Monday under the movers program.
Installer put in a Slimline 5 FTM which has just the single coax output and then a SWM8 in the attic. He basically connected the dish's single output on to where the cable input would be and that was that.
Certainly makes for a clean and easy installation.
That's great.

But, you mean a SWS-8 1x8 splitter in the attic, right?

If you have a SWMline dish...then you don't need/can't use a SWM-8. Also, the SWM-8 requires four coax runs from the dish.

· AllStar
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I know is that the dish has 1 coax out, there is a thing with 1 input and 8 outputs in my attic, plugged into a power source. There is 1 wire into my HR20 and both Tuners show a signal.
The dish was labelled Slimline and FTM on the back.
Took a pic from groundlevel and blew it up... its a lot fuzzy but it appears to read: SL55-WNC Single Wire <something?>
Model No FTM

26,543 Posts
This "SWM8" gizmo in the attic is actually just the power inserter (PI). I'm baffled by your reported appearance of eight outputs on the PI.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
harsh said:
This "SWM8" gizmo in the attic is actually just the power inserter (PI). I'm baffled by your reported appearance of eight outputs on the PI.
Your baffled because, as usual, you don't know what your talking about concerning DirecTv gear.

What he has in his attic is a SWS-8, a 1x8 splitter. One input, 8 outputs. The PI may be up there as well (not recommended though).

As for why and how the installer used it, it could be a number of reasons. As already pointed out, it may have been all that the installer had. It may have been simpler to use it (interior wall & wall fishing required). Some areas are starting to relax the install rules (but don't count on it just yet.).

· AllStar
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can figure a way to post pics I would show it...
The input coax goes into a shiny silver thing with 8 outputs. Currently 1 has a coax plugged in going to my living room, the others have weird caps on. The installer told me never to remove caps without also plugging a coax / receiver in.
There is also a black box plugged in to AC which plugs into the shiny silver thing...
sorry for all the technical terms LOL

26,543 Posts
RobertE said:
Your baffled because, as usual, you don't know what your talking about concerning DirecTv gear.

What he has in his attic is a SWS-8, a 1x8 splitter. One input, 8 outputs. The PI may be up there as well (not recommended though).
Perhaps your royal highness could explain why an 8 way splitter was installed in a household with only one receiver?

I was simply going by what the OP said.

· AllStar
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can confirm it is an SWS-8 in the attic. I did ask the installer why I was getting SWM as I had heard it was for multi-receivers houses only and he said it was standard.
I did not press too hard but think he may have had other reasons...

· Registered
8,035 Posts
harsh said:
Perhaps your royal highness could explain why an 8 way splitter was installed in a household with only one receiver?

I was simply going by what the OP said.
Even going by what the OP said, you'd still be wrong. The SWM8 has, lets count them: 6 inputs, 2 SWM outputs and 3 legacy outputs. Last time I checked, that don't add up to 8.

As to why the installer put a 1x8 up in the attic? While not needed, maybe he thought the OP would be adding receivers and "future proofed" the setup. Or maybe he wasn't aware that you can use a single box without a splitter and all he had was a 1x8. Who knows, you'd have to ask him (the installer).

· Legend
162 Posts
FYI, I had a New Install the other day with 1 HD/DVR and 2 ka/ku receivers (4 tuners). Mastec was out there there day before (it was not flagged for SWMline), but the installer recommended a SWM and they rescheduled for the next day for SWMline. It could have been done with a regular ka/ku but a helluva lot more work. But it seems DTV is allowing this now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.