DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been talked about before, I check with a search and could not fine any specific answers.

A friend of my just had a Slimline dish and a new HD box (not the HR20) installed. Previously he had the 3 LNB with 3 receivers (2 SD, 1 HD) all of them Hughes brand. The new HD box replaced one of the SD receivers and it works great but the other two boxes are experiencing problems. The HD Hughes box has all the channels showing up out of order in the guide and it also has problems getting some of the channels. I have tried to reset it with no luck. The other SD Hughes box seems to have the channels in order but also has trouble getting some of the channels.

The cable runs are no different that before, the one to the Hughes HD box is fairly long but it worked fine with the 3 LNB dish.

Would this be an alignment issue or a multiswitch issue or a signal issuse? I am going over to his house this Sat. to temp. move the new HD box to the other HD box location to see if it works or not. Has anyone had any issues with getting the older Hughes HD or SD boxes to work with an AT-9 or Slimline dish?

Thanks for you help.

Allen

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Those old receivers should work fine with the new 5-LNB dish.

Verify that he has the correct multiswitch. It should be a Zinwell WB68. Or, since the dish has four output and he only needs three for his Receivers, you can bypass the multiswitch and try connecting the Receivers directly to the dish's outputs. Swapping "good" and "bad" Receivers is another way to isolate if the problem is a defective Receiver or a wiring/multiswitch problem.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
litzdog911 said:
Those old receivers should work fine with the new 5-LNB dish.

Verify that he has the correct multiswitch. It should be a Zinwell WB68. Or, since the dish has four output and he only needs three for his Receivers, you can bypass the multiswitch and try connecting the Receivers directly to the dish's outputs. Swapping "good" and "bad" Receivers is another way to isolate if the problem is a defective Receiver or a wiring/multiswitch problem.
Well the installers did not put in any multiswitch does that really matter?

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
OK, well that simplifies things. Provided that each Receiver has its own dedicated cable back to the dish's outputs, it should be working. Be sure that there are no splitters or anything on any of those lines.

Also, what are the signal readings on the various satellites and transponders (use the H20 HD Receiver since it can "see" all 5 satellites)? Swapping "good" and "bad" receivers is another way to troubleshoot the problem.

Of course, he could simply insist that the installers return and make it work properly.

·
6 Posts
I have the AT9 and H20, having the same problem as you, disconnected my H20
hooked up my old HD Mitsubishi and missing some channels, tried old receiver on
some connection as H20 so connection is ok, asked same question here could not get a good answer.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am at his house now and what I did first was write down the signal streanghts from the new H20 box then I took the box to the tv on the 3rd floor and compaired the numbers. They all ended up within 1 or 2 points of the numbers on the down stairs tv. So at that point I rulled out the dish/install or the cables to the 3rd floor. I then hooked back up the old Hughes box and check the numbers and about 2/3 of them were either drastically lower or not even there at all. BTW, that Hughes box is an HD one. Then I checked his standard Hughes box in his bedroom and beleive it or not most of the numbers were better than the H20 numbers. Only one transponder was at 0 and that was either 29 or 30 on 119.

So I guess the issue is with the new 5 lnb dish and this older Hughes HD box.

Time to get another H20 I guess.

Hope this helps anyone else out.

Allen

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
You can't really compare the numbers between a H20 and other models, since the scale is different (the H20 will read lower). It is normal to see some transponders at 0 on 119 (as well as on 101, 99 and 103) because they are using spot beams.

If you check the Directv web site, they are offering some pretty good deals on equipment right now.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks to me like the old Hughes Receiver may be defective, especially if it's showing missing transponders no matter where in the house you connect it.
Well I think is s conspearacy(sp)...:lol:

The things is that before he got the 5 LNB the Hughes box worked great. Well after waiting on hold for an hour and talking to 3 different people we gave up and just went to Best Buy and bought a new H20. 30 minutes later and all was good in the world.

Moral to the story.... If you are gonna upgrade go for the gusto(sp) and don't look back.

Allen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.