DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just signed up for service today, which is scheduled to be setup and installed on Saturday.

I'm assuming they are going to give me a AU9 dish as part of the installation, I'll eventually want to setup at least 4 DVRs and a couple HD non-DVR units eventually.

So my question is, what is the best way to go about setting this up using SWM, since I want to only run a single wire to each unit in the house? I've looked around online but had some trouble finding any type of wiring diagram on how to set it up.

Thanks!

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,839 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk, Dracon!

If you are going to have 4 DVR's and a couple HD receivers you will need to do a parallel or cascading setup with the SWM8 and Zinwell WB68 multi-switch. I would suggest doing a parallel setup. Take a look at my signature and you will find some info on setting up a parallel setup with those units.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for! I also assume if I want to connect more than 4 DVR's using a single wire then I could replace the WB68 in the setup with another SWM8 add additional DVR's that way?

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,839 Posts
Dracon said:
Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for! I also assume if I want to connect more than 4 DVR's using a single wire then I could replace the WB68 in the setup with another SWM8 add additional DVR's that way?
Yes you can do a parallel setup with two SWM's but you need to use single port power passing splitters with that setup. With an SWM and WB68 you can use single or dual.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1663782 said:
Yes you can do a parallel setup with two SWM's but you need to use single port power passing splitters with that setup. With an SWM and WB68 you can use single or dual.
Not that it is particularly important, but I can't see any reason why you could not use dual port power-passing splitters to drive two SWMs in parallel. It is no different from driving two of any other type of multiswitch.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,585 Posts
texasbrit said:
Not that it is particularly important, but I can't see any reason why you could not use dual port power-passing splitters to drive two SWMs in parallel. It is no different from driving two of any other type of multiswitch.
I remember someone reporting during the early SWM trials that they had received two SWM units and tried to connect both using dual power-passing splitters. They were unable to get them to work until they used single port power-passing splitters. I have a SWM5 and a SWM8 and used single port splitters to connect them. No problems so far.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Groundhog45 said:
I remember someone reporting during the early SWM trials that they had received two SWM units and tried to connect both using dual power-passing splitters. They were unable to get them to work until they used single port power-passing splitters. I have a SWM5 and a SWM8 and used single port splitters to connect them. No problems so far.
The DC part of the LNB signal should be fine with single or dual power passing ports, but the 22 kHz tone "can" be out of phase from two sources, so a single power passing port splitter "might" be needed in this case.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
veryoldschool said:
The DC part of the LNB signal should be fine with single or dual power passing ports, but the 22 kHz tone "can" be out of phase from two sources, so a single power passing port splitter "might" be needed in this case.
First, the splitters pass the 22 Khz tone on both ports even if they don't pass power, so it can't be that. Second, If you use splitters to set up two WB68s in parallel then you MUST use splitters that power-pass on both ports, and they work fine.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
i have 2 swm8's and 2 wb68's all ran in parrallel and i am using all leg power pass and it works fine, but i do have a sonora in line as well and it blocks all power and powers the lnb on its own

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
texasbrit said:
First, the splitters pass the 22 kHz tone on both ports even if they don't pass power, so it can't be that. Second, If you use splitters to set up two WB68s in parallel then you MUST use splitters that power-pass on both ports, and they work fine.
#1: is this true for all splitters?
#2: of course this is required for passive multi-switches

I don't know if it's "an old wives tale" or what, but even Earl has posted problems with a powered multi-switch combined with a passive multi-switch using dual power passing splitters. Since the DC voltage can't be an issue, the 22 kHz is the only thing left.

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, they installed my slimline dish on Saturday, I asked them about the SWM8 and they told me that they weren't available in our area yet. So I had to order one from Solid Signal to install.

The problem is, when they installed the standard receivers (which will eventually be replaced with H21's in the coming months). They left me with two D10 units, which aren't SWM compatible.

Will D* swap out the D10's for a pair of D12's in order to use the SWM? (I really don't want to have to run two additional legacy lines to the attic to service the two D10's going into the guest bedrooms.

I really only want to have the one cable going up to the SWS8 and then split off from there to drive the three bedrooms and the family room upstairs while the other SWM port drives the HR21 going into the living room downstairs.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Dracon said:
Well, they installed my slimline dish on Saturday, I asked them about the SWM8 and they told me that they weren't available in our area yet. So I had to order one from Solid Signal to install.

The problem is, when they installed the standard receivers (which will eventually be replaced with H21's in the coming months). They left me with two D10 units, which aren't SWM compatible.

Will D* swap out the D10's for a pair of D12's in order to use the SWM? (I really don't want to have to run two additional legacy lines to the attic to service the two D10's going into the guest bedrooms.

I really only want to have the one cable going up to the SWS8 and then split off from there to drive the three bedrooms and the family room upstairs while the other SWM port drives the HR21 going into the living room downstairs.
In general it's hard to get D* to give you a specific model receiver. When they place any sort of order in there system it's for a generic type of receiver, EG HD-DVR or sd receiver, not a specific model. You could try calling them and seeing if they will do a swap but even if they do there is no way of controlling what you will get. This was commonly a problem with people trying to get HR20s for OTA before the AM21 came out for the HR21s.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
D10s have been out of production for at least 2 years. Are you sure that's what they installed?

-Troy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.