DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been snowing here for 13 hours. I have over a foot in my driveway and 3 & 4 foot drifts in the neighborhood. It has been blizzard conditions all day. DIA is closed, malls are closed, roads are closed but my slimline is still showing 90 and above on all sats!!

I can't even see the dish, the snow is drifted so bad on the roof.

Either is is a good design, or I am really lucky. :D

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
17 inches here in Littleton and still coming down. Still no signal loss. The drifts are 4 & 5 ft high on the side of the house and on parts of the roof.

I am supposed to head out Friday AM to Clovis NM for a relatives wedding. Not sure I am going to try that now. :(

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
I wish it would snow here for 13 hours.
At least once in my lifetime.

weren't you around in 96? We got 36 inches here in PA..i'd assume DC got a bit less but still on the magnitude

· Godfather
410 Posts
Phil T said:
It has been snowing here for 13 hours. I have over a foot in my driveway and 3 & 4 foot drifts in the neighborhood. It has been blizzard conditions all day. DIA is closed, malls are closed, roads are closed but my slimline is still showing 90 and above on all sats!!

I can't even see the dish, the snow is drifted so bad on the roof.

Either is is a good design, or I am really lucky. :D
I have never had a problem with snow, even the wet lake effect snow we can get in Chicago. I usually find the rain faid occurs just before a heavy rain storm, but not snow.

I don't think snow is anywhere as dense as rain.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - 28+ inches here in Littleton and still snowing!!

Still no signal loss.

DIA will not open until noon Friday.

See if you can see the red car in this photo, from my laptop out the window this morning!

· Registered
5,747 Posts
newsposter said:
weren't you around in 96? We got 36 inches here in PA..i'd assume DC got a bit less but still on the magnitude
I do remember that. I didn't think it snowed for 13 hours. It was about what, 18" to 2 feet if I recall. Those only happen every so often around here. When there is just the possibility of flurries, everyone rushes to the store for bread, milk, and TP. It's hilarious actually.

· Mentor
37 Posts
I remember that storm too. Was stuck on my block for 3 days before the town could get to us and clear the streets. That was a cool a*s storm. :) Yeah its really funny with the mass hysteria as soon as the weather man says it's going to snow. What I'd like to know is why is there always a mad rush for snow shovels. What does everyone do with the ones they got from the previous year? :)

Back on topic... :)

Its good to hear that the new dish and sats are doing just fine in bad weather.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
<ahem>, let's make this my first post. It is currently 82 degrees here in FL, and yesterday I had about 30 seconds of rain fade as a thunderstorm rolled through. Cheers to you up in the frozen tundra ! Ha ha !

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JeffBowser said:
<ahem>, let's make this my first post. It is currently 82 degrees here in FL, and yesterday I had about 30 seconds of rain fade as a thunderstorm rolled through. Cheers to you up in the frozen tundra ! Ha ha !
Wecome to the forums, even though you suck!!! :D

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have never lost OTA during storms unless the TV stations themselves have had issues, which happen a lot in low power Denver.

I was planning to use the digital OTA if the dish got covered, but did not have to!!!

· Hall Of Fame
1,120 Posts
Despite it only breaking below freezing once or twice this season in CMH, it's nice to konw he new dishes get good reception in snow. The worst we had was a foot or so of snow, then ice thick enought that my 190 lb + steel toe boots + heavy leather trench coat could stand on top of the deal without breaking through, and I found this out because I had to go clean off the dish.

Attachments

8 Posts
tzphotos.com said:
I have never had a problem with snow, even the wet lake effect snow we can get in Chicago. I usually find the rain faid occurs just before a heavy rain storm, but not snow.

I don't think snow is anywhere as dense as rain.
Occasionally, with just the *right* conditions, I will lose signal due to snow. But it isn't the snow in the air like with rain fade but instead that falling snow sticks to the dish and accumulates. It's a pretty uncommon thing as it has to be just the right temp with the right kind of snow. When it happens, since I have a chimney-mounted dish and no easy access to it. my 'fix' is going out to the front lawn and throwing snowballs up at the dish to try and dislodge the stuck snow. :) I'm sure my neighbors and any passers-by think I'm pretty goofy but you gotta do what you gotta do. ;) I'm maybe 2 miles west of the lake.

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never mind. :(

The storm today is heavy & wet. The Slimline held a signal for 9 hours but I lost all signals a 9:15 MST. Unfortunately, I am now SOL since I have a roof mount. My HR10 locked up when it lost the signal. I thought I could still watch my digital locals but no luck. I just dug out my 1970's rabbit ears and had to bypass the HR10.

This may keep up until Sunday. Time to read a book!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.