DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a slimline dish and cannot receive signals from the 99a and 103a satellites (it says N/A on the receiver screen and will not allow me to select between the transponders for signal strength). Other channels are coming up with 0 strength with the other satellites where the signals I receive are in the 90's. As I proceed with the installation from the DirecTV receiver, it says that the satellite installation has failed and there is no dish?

I have peaked the dish multiple times using a Digistat III perfect 10 satellite meter. I'm at a loss on why the satellites are not being detected by the receiver and if the dish is not able to received signals from these satellites.

I called up DirecTV technical support and received virtually no help. They seem like they are only capable of helping with connection and power to the receiver problems. I was referred to their installation services where they would charge about $100 per hour to service it.

What am I doing wrong? Could an LMB be defective? Are these satellites hard to align to where I need a finer adjustment? Or do I need to have DirecTV to enable the programming signal to enable the satellites for installation where I want to enable programming services when the equipment is functioning properly.

Thank you for any and all help in this matter.

· Godfather
353 Posts
You are likely peaked on the wrong satellite. Start with a plumb mast. Set elevation, tilt and azimuth to the numbers indicated in setup for your zip code.

You will probably get better results using the receiver individual signal meters than your test meter. If you can't arrange to see a TV screen directly while aligning, have someone watch the screen and relay what is happening. You need to move slowly since there is a time lag between antenna movement and see a change in meter readings.

Start with a transponder on satellite 101. First adjust azimuth until you have a signal, then peak azimuth and elevation for best signal. Next check the 119 satellite and compare the readings on those transponders to those of 101, you should use the multi-transponder screen for the comparison. If the readings on both satellites are in the same range there is no need to adjust tilt.

Next select a transponder on 103 and do a fine adjust of azimuth and elevation for peak signal. You should not have to move the fine adjustments more than about two turns.

When you first get a signal, you may want to check channel 200 or 201. The receiver does not have to be activated to receive those channels and if you receive those channels you are looking at satellite 101.

· Godfather
452 Posts
itsmillertime said:
I just installed a slimline dish and cannot receive signals from the 99a and 103a satellites (it says N/A on the receiver screen and will not allow me to select between the transponders for signal strength). Other channels are coming up with 0 strength with the other satellites where the signals I receive are in the 90's. As I proceed with the installation from the DirecTV receiver, it says that the satellite installation has failed and there is no dish?

I have peaked the dish multiple times using a Digistat III perfect 10 satellite meter. I'm at a loss on why the satellites are not being detected by the receiver and if the dish is not able to received signals from these satellites.

I called up DirecTV technical support and received virtually no help. They seem like they are only capable of helping with connection and power to the receiver problems. I was referred to their installation services where they would charge about $100 per hour to service it.

What am I doing wrong? Could an LMB be defective? Are these satellites hard to align to where I need a finer adjustment? Or do I need to have DirecTV to enable the programming signal to enable the satellites for installation where I want to enable programming services when the equipment is functioning properly.

Thank you for any and all help in this matter.
What type of receiver is it hooked up to?

· Legend
162 Posts
For some reason the HD receivers do this during installation. On the H23's it always says 103a failed. I just hit Continue and Fix Later and it's fine. The HR21's now have the IV and makes it more of a pain. Half the time 99 and 103 fail even though the signal is perfect. Yesterday I had one that actually worked right, but most of the time you have to work around the apparent software issue.

· AllStar
92 Posts
This may sound like a silly question, but do you have the B-Band Converters installed on the back of the reciever? Those are the black boxes that go on the sat 1 & 2 in jack on the back of the reciever, then the cables from the dish are connected to them.

Also do you have any diplexers in line for OTA? Those will knock out the 103 and 99 signals.

· Mentor
43 Posts
gen2rx7 said:
This may sound like a silly question, but do you have the B-Band Converters installed on the back of the reciever? Those are the black boxes that go on the sat 1 & 2 in jack on the back of the reciever, then the cables from the dish are connected to them.

Also do you have any diplexers in line for OTA? Those will knock out the 103 and 99 signals.
This would be my first question. Also do you have a multiswitch? If so, is it a Zinwell WB68 or WB616? If not, that could be the problem.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far. I appreciate any help as I try to install this equipment.

I have the H21-100 receiver and no diplexers or multi-switches on the lines. The receiver has been tested with the B-Band converter in series with the line.

Originally, I used my zip code for the original settings for the tilt, elevation, and azmuth when installing the dish and replacing the original 3 LMB with this new 5 LMB dish. The pole is plumb and secure for the mount. As the dish is peaked for tilt, using the 119 signal, the Digistat meter shown no deflection or changes (it remained at the HI setting, which means to me that the signal strength is strong and saturating the meter). I looked at the receiver signal, contrary to the installation guidelines, and peaked the tilt using this method.

Then, I set the signal for 101 and peaked the elevation and azmuth using both the series and receiver meters. However, the 103a displays n/a for all transponders on the setup screen and does not allow me to select any of them for signal strength (clicking on the -/+ has no effect and nothing shows up in the box).

This is what the satellites and transponders show on the screen, where the working signal strengths are 85+%.

99a 1-14: 0%, 15-32: n/a
99b 2,4,6,15-24: 0%, 7-14, 25-32: n/a
101 18: 49%, 26: 0%, all others 85+%
103a all at 0 or n/a
110 1-7,9,11,13-32: n/a
119 22 & 25: 0%, 1-21: n/a

The dish setup displays that the 99a & b and 103a satellite transponders have failed.

I followed the instructions except for the peaking signal suggestion of not using the receiver strength meter. I guess my thought of trying to peak on one of the other satellites could help but the 103a won't allow me to select any even or odd transponders. None show up in the screen. Would another satellite be better than the 101 for peaking the elevation and azmuth? Should the 22KHz signal be enabled for this?

My voltage from the receiver is just over 12 VDC according to the Digistat meter, and it saturates when checking the signal strength (displays HI and a current level during the peaking stages).

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
Please go to the System Setup menu page, select Reset, and then select Reset Everything. Make sure you select the standard Slimline 5 LNB dish and that you do not select the 72.5 or 95 degree satellites.

· Legend
162 Posts
Is it letting you get past the screen where it says it failed? If so, continue on til you get a picture, and then check signals. You might be fine, like I said above, the HR21's do this for some reason even if the signal is perfect on all sats.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the timely replies. I appreciate all responses where everything can be helpful.

I have gone through the system setup page every time I power it on and only select the 5 LMB setting along with not enabling the 72.5 or 95 satellites. I'm able to get past the setup screen by selecting the ignore problems and continuing. However, I have not completed the setup completely since I'm concerned with the failures. I will try this the next time I install the receiver.

Currently, I'm using an old Sony receiver that is about 10 years old where this provides more connections than any receiver that I have seen and the programming menus are outstanding, allowing more than 25 favorite channels. I hate to give it up but must digress for HD programming. This connection is used on a daily basis and the receiver is exchanged from the Sony to the H21-100 while I'm working on setting up the dish and other concerns.

By the way, is there a cheaper way to order the DirecTV service instead of the monthly charges? Can a person subscribe to an annual cost to save some money? In 10 years of service, I have had only problems 2 or 3 times for less than 20 minutes where the local cable services are constantly having outages. I decided to own the equipment vs leasing to save money. I have never had any equipment failures other than an LMB failing once.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
The real question is whether or not you receive the HD channels after the setup is complete. Try 206 and 501 (99(c)) and 202 and 242 (103(c)).

· Legend
178 Posts
itsmillertime said:
I decided to own the equipment vs leasing to save money. I have never had any equipment failures other than an LMB failing once.
If you purchased the receiver @ a retail store, you still do not own it, it is a leased unit. Please check the box/packaging for the info regarding this. When you activate the receiver for HD, you will be locked into a 2 year programming commitment.

As for the dish setup, when it says failed, pick ignore, and proceed. As was posted above, if you can get the channels indicated (Try 206 and 501 (99(c) and 202 and 242 (103(c), you should be good 2 go. When the unit is activated you should be able to do a reset and then you should be able to access the 99/103 signal strength screens. As has been stated above, this is a known issue and should not affect activating the receiver and subsequent reception. You will then be able to see the 99/103 signal strengths to further peak the dish if necessary.

· Legend
115 Posts
FYI-I just had an issue with my HR21-100 install where the unit's newer software will NOT let you move forward until an "inside tech" (a tech where the installers w/issues call in to) with Dish orders a forced download, it took a really long time to do.
Apparently D* is forcing theirs techs to work harder for better signal numbers thus the not letting it proceed screen....?

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the timely replies. I appreciate all responses where everything can be helpful.

I rechecked the receiver today and did the setup again where it allowed me to go past the failure installation screen and "ignore problems". The channels suggested, 202, 206, and 242 are HD channels where the 501 is the HD HBO #1 channel. Since the box and card have not been activated, the signals were not available. However, I checked channels 200, 201 and 500 where they worked fine.

I then reviewed the satellite signals where the 103a continues to show the "signal failed" and all transponders show "n/a" and the setup screen says there is "0" dish installed. But the 99a has 1 - 14 at 87+% where 15 - 32 still is "n/a". The 99b remains the same (only 1, 3, 5, 7 - 14 at 87+%. The 103b now is working and 1 - 14 have 87+% where 15 - 32 are "n/a". The 110 and 119 remains the same.

It appears that the dish is setup good where some fine tuning might be required when the box is activated, unless it can be done with the 99a and 103b satellites. Would this be recommended now or wait until the box is activated and peak the 103a at a later date (I'm not sure if this satellite is used on the west coast).

I purchased the equipment from my electronics supply distributor - MCM Electronics in Ohio, where the box says "not programmed". No other literature is present in the box stating that the equipment is the property of DirecTV. I purchased it to own the equipment and not lease it - and I believe this is the case unless someone knows otherwise. I know that if it was purchased from Circuit City or any of these retail outlets it would be the property of the service provider.

Let me know if any further peaking is required and if it should be done now or after the box has been activated.

Thanks,

ItsMillerTime

· Mentor
43 Posts
itsmillertime said:
I then reviewed the satellite signals where the 103a continues to show the "signal failed" and all transponders show "n/a" and the setup screen says there is "0" dish installed. But the 99a has 1 - 14 at 87+% where 15 - 32 still is "n/a". The 99b remains the same (only 1, 3, 5, 7 - 14 at 87+%. The 103b now is working and 1 - 14 have 87+% where 15 - 32 are "n/a". The 110 and 119 remains the same.

It appears that the dish is setup good where some fine tuning might be required when the box is activated, unless it can be done with the 99a and 103b satellites. Would this be recommended now or wait until the box is activated and peak the 103a at a later date (I'm not sure if this satellite is used on the west coast).

Let me know if any further peaking is required and if it should be done now or after the box has been activated.

Thanks,

ItsMillerTime
Your signals are good for HD. You may be able to get them into the 90's, but unless you are having problems, 87+ is very good. Above 70 is acceptable. I would go ahead and activate it, as peaking the dish with those signal numbers is just going to be a lot of time spent for little if any gain. 99a and 103a failures are not an indication of a problem, just that you are not in an area covered by any of the spot beams. You should only be concerned with 99b and 103b.

· Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
I know this is confusing, but it's 99(a) and 103(b) you should be concerned with. Those are the two national HD signal strength pages. 99(b) and 103(a) will be automatically in alignment when 99(a) and 103(b) are in alignment, so with 87+ on 99(a), you probably have nothing left to do, pending similar 103(b) numbers on activation. Your signals on 99(b) and 103(a) will be all over the lot, since they are spot beams for local coverage areas.

99(a) National HD's from DirecTV11
99(b) Local HD and possibly some SD spot beams from DirecTV11 and Starway2

103(a) Local HD and SD spotbeams from DirecTV10 and Starway1
103(b) National HD's from DirecTV10

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
itsmillertime said:
I purchased the equipment from my electronics supply distributor - MCM Electronics in Ohio, where the box says "not programmed". No other literature is present in the box stating that the equipment is the property of DirecTV. I purchased it to own the equipment and not lease it - and I believe this is the case unless someone knows otherwise. I know that if it was purchased from Circuit City or any of these retail outlets it would be the property of the service provider.
BEFORE you activate, you had better call MCM, but I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that they are going to tell you that you paid an up-front lease fee on that receiver, and that it will be leased.

Currently, the ONLY way to *own* a modern receiver, other than the HR21 Pro, is to purchase the receiver directly from DirecTV, and you'll have to work at finding someone who knows how to do so, because it's extremely uncommon outside of commercial installs. HD-DVRs purchased to own cost $499. The standard up-front lease fee is $199, regardless of the retailer.

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
K4SMX said:
I know this is confusing, but it's 99(a) and 103(b) you should be concerned with. Those are the two national HD signal strength pages. 99(b) and 103(a) will be automatically in alignment when 99(a) and 103(b) are in alignment, so with 87+ on 99(a), you probably have nothing left to do, pending similar 103(b) numbers on activation. Your signals on 99(b) and 103(a) will be all over the lot, since they are spot beams for local coverage areas.

99(a) National HD's from DirecTV11
99(b) Local HD and possibly some SD spot beams from DirecTV11 and Starway2

103(a) Local HD and SD spotbeams from DirecTV10 and Starway1
103(b) National HD's from DirecTV10
Starway? You mean Spaceway? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.