DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install a slimline dish. What I have is a single lnb eyeball. The lnb says 99/101/103. It also has 4 outputs on it. It also says SL3PIG-Z on the lnb. It is going to be connected to a D12-300 (which has been confirmed working in good order.

So, all I had was the receiver signal meter which I got nothing, and also bought a radio shack satellite finder, which I know is cheap but figured I'd give it a shot. The hook up is from the dish right to the receiver, one room.

First thing I see is I have a few selection to pick from on the screen. like:

Dish Type: 03: slimline -3
17: slimeline-3s (swm)

So which one do I use???

Also switch type: 02: Multi-switch
01:swm

So which switch do I pick?

I'm also wondering if for Boston the azim - 236
Elev. 33
Tilt 60

Are they correct.

Well Im getting nothing. Like I said I know the receiver works fine and gets signal, as I tried it elsewere and it works.

Any suggestions???

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Gladiatorxx said:
Trying to install a slimline dish. What I have is a single lnb eyeball. The lnb says 99/101/103. It also has 4 outputs on it. It also says SL3PIG-Z on the lnb. It is going to be connected to a D12-300 (which has been confirmed working in good order.

So, all I had was the receiver signal meter which I got nothing,

First thing I see is I have a few selection to pick from on the screen. like:

Dish Type: 03: slimline -3

Also switch type: 02: Multi-switch

I'm also wondering if for Boston the azim - 236
Elev. 33
Tilt 60

Are they correct.

Well Im getting nothing. Like I said I know the receiver works fine and gets signal, as I tried it elsewere and it works.

Any suggestions???
The Boston numbers looks to be within a degree or so, so they should be close enough for the starting point, where you then move the dish ever so slightly right/left, up/down until you find the signal.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
choose Dish Type: 03: slimline -3 and switch type: 02: Multi-switch

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i noticed that by trying the reciever on a different dish which was aligned properly receiver got signal right away. Also I noticed if you don't select the right dish in the setup to match what is installed on the roof, you get no signal on the meter. This is different from what I'm used to with dishnetwork.

So back to the other dish 99/101/103, im still not sure if the settings on the receiver are right. I used a radio shack sat finder, seems im hitting something but the ird signal meter shows nothing.

anyone have any advice?

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Gladiatorxx said:
I used a radio shack sat finder, seems im hitting something but the ird signal meter shows nothing.
There are a LOT of satellites up there, all very close to each other. Your inexpensive sat meter is going to show a signal no matter what sat you are pointed at. But your DirecTV receiver is only going to show when you are pointed at the correct satellite.

So, it appears you are pointed at some satellite but not the correct satellite. Try moving azimuth until the signal you have drops out and you find the next one. Peak it and check your receiver. Repeat until you find the right bird. Also, check www.dishpointer.com to get a very good idea of where you should be pointing (check for DirecTV at 101 degrees).

Mark where you are at now, so you know where you started from. You may need to try the other direction if you don't find it going whatever way you try first.

· Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok but that doesn't really address if i am truly on the correct settings in the receiver. My understanding so far is you can have a dish getting signal on the receiver change the setting to say slimeline 5, and get no signal on the receiver meter. Change it setting back and vola you are good, and you never touched the dish itself.

So why is that?

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Complicated answer to a simple question. The different stack plans associated with different LNB's, and what voltage and tone is sent to the dish from the receiver. For details, you can read the Dish and multiswitch FAQ: http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Dish, Multiswitch and Cable FAQ.pdf

By changing dish types in your receiver, you are telling it how to encode the request that goes to the dish, and decode what comes back. If it isn't correct for the type of dish you have, it may not work.

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
Gladiatorxx said:
Ok but that doesn't really address if i am truly on the correct settings in the receiver. My understanding so far is you can have a dish getting signal on the receiver change the setting to say slimeline 5, and get no signal on the receiver meter. Change it setting back and vola you are good, and you never touched the dish itself.

So why is that?
Well the signal really shouldn't disappear on the 101 signal strength screen when changing between a SL-3 and SL-5. The 110 and 119 screens and signals obviously will disappear, but the 101 signals should not.

Unless perhaps the receiver signals only temporarily disappear while the receiver re-initializes on the new dish setting is what you're mistaking for a complete disappearance.

For an SD receiver like the D12, the SL-3 is the electrical equivalent of a standard 101 round dish (Phase I). And the SL-5 like an 18" x 20" triple sat. dish (Phase III). In either case though, the 101 signals should be the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.