DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My interest in this device is peaked. If anyone has it and is using it with directv and either of these receivers, what has been your experience and how does it work? Thanks for your help!

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I've got three slingboxes, one Pro and two Classic's. They are connected to two R15's and one R10 (sorry, don't have the hi def receivers).

The slingbox Pro, with a yet to be released dongle, will allow you to connect a hi-def input to it, however the slingbox will internally down-rez this to standard def for slinging. It does NOT sling in hi-def.

On the local network, the slingbox will sling 640 by 480. On the WAN it normally slings 640 x 240. If you've got the upload bandwidth, you can change the parameters, but the best you can get is 640 x 480.

For regular slinging (640 x 240) you need a consistant upload speed somewhere between 300 and 500K. 256K will work, but is the absolute minimum you can get away with. If you've got better than 1meg upload speed, you might be able to get away with 640x480.

Now, from a purely subjective point of view, I love my slingboxes. Can't imagine living without them.

Carl

· DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
The HD dongle has been released. Several people have reported receiving it. They also released a firmware upgrade for the Pro a few days ago. Apparently it had some updates that were specific to the HD dongle.

· AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you log into your home network from outside the home? Does the setup software establishes a connection for you or do you need special software and capabilities to do this. Here is my setup, help me visualize the slingbox:

Comcast cable internet with Lynksys Wireless G Router (WEP enabled)
XBOX 360 Live enabled
2 Desktops
2 Laptops (one with verizon broadband card)
HR20
H20
1st generation D* Tivo (philips)
HR10-250
D10

I want to be able to watch my TV from the Hospital when I'm on call using the verizon BB card (the hospital does not have wireless or wired internet in the call rooms).

Thanks for the help, gang.

· DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
RedskinsForever said:
How do you log into your home network from outside the home? Does the setup software establishes a connection for you or do you need special software and capabilities to do this. Here is my setup, help me visualize the slingbox:

Comcast cable internet with Lynksys Wireless G Router (WEP enabled)
XBOX 360 Live enabled
2 Desktops
2 Laptops (one with verizon broadband card)
HR20
H20
1st generation D* Tivo (philips)
HR10-250
D10

I want to be able to watch my TV from the Hospital when I'm on call using the verizon BB card (the hospital does not have wireless or wired internet in the call rooms).

Thanks for the help, gang.
If you have a static IP, you just connect to that IP address via the software, and redirect a port to the slingbox.

If you don't have a static IP, your slingbox comes with a finder id. The slingbox then "broadcasts" where it is to the sling servers. You put that finder ID in the sling player software, and it queries the sling servers to find your slingbox.

· AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bagleyb said:
If you have a static IP, you just connect to that IP address via the software, and redirect a port to the slingbox.

If you don't have a static IP, your slingbox comes with a finder id. The slingbox then "broadcasts" where it is to the sling servers. You put that finder ID in the sling player software, and it queries the sling servers to find your slingbox.
Do I have to disable the WEP key on my wireless router or will I be able to put the WEP key in the slingbox?

· DBSTalk Club Member
88 Posts
RedskinsForever said:
Do I have to disable the WEP key on my wireless router or will I be able to put the WEP key in the slingbox?
Slingbox doesn't have wireless. You'd have to buy a wireless bridge, and configure it to talk to your wireless router. That's completely independent of the SB though.

· Icon
563 Posts
RedskinsForever said:
Thanks for your help!
depending on your router you will need to manually open a port for the slingbox or the sling software will do it for you if your router has upnp and that is turned on.
In addition to wireless you can get adapters from sling or others to connectvia the powerline if your router and cable box are far apart.

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
The Slingbox (all models) only have a wired ethernet connection, and your best option is to have a router that provides one or more ethernet ports. Many wireless routers also provide wired ports.

The remote station must use the slingplayer software. Many people have reported good results with broadband cards from various service providers, however, be aware that all of them, specifically including Verizon, have clauses in their terms of service which don't allow ongoing video streaming. There have been reports by some people where there service was shut off after doing that. There have also been reports by lots of people who are doing it with no problem at all. You just need to be aware that it could be a problem.

The easiest way to connect is to use the slingfinder ID, and the software will default to doing that. With cable internet, your public IP can change without your even knowing it, unless you specifically subscribe to a static IP. Using the slingfinder ID overcomes needing to know your IP.

Carl

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Yes. Essentially, the slingbox is like having another tv and remote control sitting in front of your tv at home. You can do anything remotely that you can do locally, if you have it set up correctly. If you are connected to a dVR, you can watch previously recorded programs, fast forward, rewind, etc. Watching live TV you can change channels, whatever.

Carl

· AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
carl6 said:
The Slingbox (all models) only have a wired ethernet connection, and your best option is to have a router that provides one or more ethernet ports. Many wireless routers also provide wired ports.

The remote station must use the slingplayer software. Many people have reported good results with broadband cards from various service providers, however, be aware that all of them, specifically including Verizon, have clauses in their terms of service which don't allow ongoing video streaming. There have been reports by some people where there service was shut off after doing that. There have also been reports by lots of people who are doing it with no problem at all. You just need to be aware that it could be a problem.

The easiest way to connect is to use the slingfinder ID, and the software will default to doing that. With cable internet, your public IP can change without your even knowing it, unless you specifically subscribe to a static IP. Using the slingfinder ID overcomes needing to know your IP.

Carl
So is this ANY video stream?

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I don't know, just that I have read posts specifically regarding slingplayer where people have had trouble with their wireless service provider because of the amount of bandwidth they used. Someone quoted Verizon's terms of service which was more broadly worded.

Carl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.