DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody out there that has a slingbox on a D* receiver can let me know what you think of it. How is the quality on the remote playback? Did you have any problems setting it up? I'm thinking of picking one up for Christmas and am curious if it is worth it.

Thanks.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
TMullenJr said:
I was wondering if anybody out there that has a slingbox on a D* receiver can let me know what you think of it. How is the quality on the remote playback? Did you have any problems setting it up? I'm thinking of picking one up for Christmas and am curious if it is worth it.

Thanks.
I have one of the First Gen Slings and I love it. I use it with my R15 DVR and it works great. The playback is good, I heard from a friend of mine that the new Slings look even better. He has the new High end one.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Clint Lamor said:
I have one of the First Gen Slings and I love it. I use it with my R15 DVR and it works great. The playback is good, I heard from a friend of mine that the new Slings look even better. He has the new High end one.
I've got one of the new Slingbox Pro units as well, and the quality is quite good.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
88 Posts
I have a Pro, A/V and a Classic, and use them all a lot. I find myself using it on the LAN more than remotely though.

I have a Mac in the kitchen, and am running the Mac Beta client on it. I was about to buy a TV for the kitchen, but I just use my Mac now. Whatever TV isn't being watched is the one I connect to. That's why I have 3 of them.

I have dual monitors in my home office. One of them is a 19" Dell LCD TV, but I only had basic cable hooked up to it. I get it free with my cable modem. I was going to run a D* cable drop to my office, but I just used my slingbox now. Saves me $5 a month and the cost of an additional receiver.

PM me, I'll let you connect to mine for a couple of hours to see how you like it.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
88 Posts
bobnielsen said:
With more than one, is there a way to assign different ports to each and have your router do IP forwarding?
Yes, I can access all three remotely. Just configure your slingbox for something other than the default port, then redirect that port at the router.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
23 Posts
I also have the AV, and I also love it. It is hooked up to my non-HD DVR in the basement.

Best part? While at the Patriots game on Sunday, I could tune into other games on my smartphone with the Slingbox/Sunday Ticket combo.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
I have two of the classics. I use them to listen to the XM channels remotely as well as at my desk in my home office. Remotely works ok for TV. All depends on your uplink speed with your internet. I have 512MB up and it is fair. It keeps up the sound pretty much all the time. The picture sometimes is pixelated when the link is slow though.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,886 Posts
I have two classics and a pro - the classics are connected to R15's and the pro is connected to an R10. All work excellently.

On the LAN, the Pro definately stands out from the Classic for picture quality. On the WAN (remote access) not so much so.

For remote viewing you will need around 350K to 500K upload speed minimum. Less than that and your viewing experience definately starts to suffer. It will not work for you if you have say 128K DSL upload, and will be marginal with 256K.

Carl
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
97 Posts
bagleyb said:
I have a Pro, A/V and a Classic, and use them all a lot. I find myself using it on the LAN more than remotely though.

I have a Mac in the kitchen, and am running the Mac Beta client on it. I was about to buy a TV for the kitchen, but I just use my Mac now. Whatever TV isn't being watched is the one I connect to. That's why I have 3 of them.

I have dual monitors in my home office. One of them is a 19" Dell LCD TV, but I only had basic cable hooked up to it. I get it free with my cable modem. I was going to run a D* cable drop to my office, but I just used my slingbox now. Saves me $5 a month and the cost of an additional receiver.

PM me, I'll let you connect to mine for a couple of hours to see how you like it.
Can you tell a difference between the Pro and A/V? Quality wise??
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
112 Posts
I wanted to know if I connected the AV box to my PC LCD monitor which has S-Video and Audio inputs, can I watch "Live TV" off my Directv receiver? thanks
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top