DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into getting a Slingbox Pro-HD, but have some questions.
The website says that it requires a computer. What for? I'd want to watch everything on my tablet I plan on purchasing. If it does actually require a computer, does the computer need to be on in order for everything to work correctly? I turn my computer off when I leave the house to save on electricity. Would the Slingbox no longer work like that?
It has Component and digital coax inputs. I'd be using this with a Directv HR34 that connects to my Tv via HDMI. I have 720p, 1080i, and 1080p resolutions selected, with Native On. Any problems there?
The website mentions that it recommends a 1.5 Mbps internet connection for HD. My internet connection is 2 Mbps up. There are also other users in the house, as well as a VOIP (Ooma) phone. Any problems here?

·
Icon
669 Posts
I've been using Sling Boxes for a while and currently have one Pro and one Solo. The first thing to remember is that none of the sling boxes currently support HDMI but it does support Component which your Direct TV Box should have so that shouldn't be an issue. Component only supports up to 1080i so you should be all set there.

The only reason you will need a computer is to set up the Slingbox. To set it up you WILL need a PC and you will have to download / install their software. This set up will walk you through setting up what input you are using and program the unit to work with whatever Set Top Box you are using. After the set up is complete you will NOT need a PC unless you want to change the settings. That said the PC will not need to be on to watch the slingbox.

As for your internet connection I am on the fence with this, I typically use my 17" Laptop at work to watch and I need to have a solid 3Mb/Sec which
I force int he Player Software for the picture quality to be acceptable. That said I also have an iPad and I just did some testing and by default it started in "Auto Quality" which was showing "SD" mode and the pictures quality was pretty bad. From there I forced it to HD Mode and the picture quality was very good in my opinion. I checked my bandwidth usage from home and confirmed that it is using between 1mb and 1.5Mb/sec in HD Mode

So provided your ISP Connections on both sides are good quality you will probably be good to go but I'd say give it a try first.

Oh one more thing if you have a Firewall, Router or Modem you will need to open up the port for the slingbox to be accessible from the outside world. Their Setup Software does try and assist in this but I've always done it manually on my end.

Let me know if you have any other questions or missed something.

·
Legend
419 Posts
funhouse69 said:
The only reason you will need a computer is to set up the Slingbox. To set it up you WILL need a PC and you will have to download / install their software.
I have a Pro HD as well, and just to avoid confusion, you can also use a Mac for the setup. And I tend to get a pretty good quality stream on anything 1 Mbps or higher.

·
9 Posts
I've never said this before in my life, but you might consider buying the warranty/replacement plan. :(

My PRO's power supply went dead right after 90 days. Fortunately, Slingbox did replace the unit for FREE!! I'm not sure I will be that lucky next time. (If my Google search was correct, there will be a next time.)

Another tip, disable the power-saver mode on HR*34. Ipad app isn't user-friendly when it come to on/off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.