DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my brother has moved about 13 hours from me. He'll have high speed internet in his new apartment...

If I buy a SlingBox pro and attached it to my HR20 or HR21, will he be able to view shows remotely at his apartment--and more importantly, because the HR2x puts Closed Captioning on the screen--will he SEE the captioning?

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Capmeister said:
So, my brother has moved about 13 hours from me. He'll have high speed internet in his new apartment...

If I buy a SlingBox pro and attached it to my HR20 or HR21, will he be able to view shows remotely at his apartment--and more importantly, because the HR2x puts Closed Captioning on the screen--will he SEE the captioning?
I dont know about the CC but yes he will be able to see shows at his apartment. Thats whats so great about a slingbox, your tv where ever you go.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Yes to both. See the attached screen capture. The captioning might be hard to read depending on bandwidth, though.

Attachments

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
Yep. He will be able to see whatever is displayed on the screen, including menus, progress bars, captions, etc. Make sure you have decent upstream bandwidth too, by the way.

Of course, if you connect the IR repeater from the Slingbox to the HR2x, he'll be able to remotely command the receiver too. You may or may not want to do this. :lol:

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Herb is right. The screen capture above is at 610kbps. When I view it at home at 2.5mbps (that seems to be the top end for the Slingbox AV anyway) it looks similar to SD quality on a regular TV.

· Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently I'm about 10mbps down/900kbps up. But I might be moving and won't know what my down/up is. And he doesn't move into his new place until Sept 1 and we don't know what his speed will be.

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
dave29 said:
lets just hope that he doesnt change your channels while you are watching:lol:
Hence my warning about the IR repeater . . . Mrs. Lefty got mighty p.o.'d at me one time watching a shuttle launch on NASA TV from work while she was home sick trying to watch repeats of Top Chef. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.