DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

4 Posts

· Legend
458 Posts
A way to keep Slingboxs going after Nov 9, 2022 has been found. But you must get you slingboxes passwords before Nov 9. You need to login to Slingbox.com, stay logged in, then get your slingbox’s admin passwords from this:
Slingbox - Country Selector
Save all text info to email, Word etc. for later use. Do it now!

https://github.com/GerryDazoo/Slinger

https://www.reddit.com/r/slingbox/comments/vxgozw/some_genius_has_sorted_out_using_a_slingbox/
This looks very confusing?

4 Posts
This looks very confusing?
Yes it is confusing, after a month of reading 100s of posts I got one working. Often the instructions are vauge, but I will give basic instructions here. But, the first step is to get your slingbox info by using you Slingbox username and password to login to your account and going to the page I referenced. Note, that I typed it all in, but this Forum turned it into a shortened clickable tab. You should do this even if you are no longer interested in Slingbox. You may change you mind or want to sell it in the future.

while on the site, download "Slingbox Player for Windows" it is not totally needed, but will speed things up without having to do port forwarding on your router.

More later after someone reports that they have their box admin password and other data.

· Registered
2 Posts
I built my own Slingbox replacement using just two products from Amazon:
  • My setup doesn't require all these confusing hacks and settings
  • My setup doesn't require a dedicated PC (or pi) to be powered on 24/7.
  • My setup uses a true HDMI input instead of the component input of most slingboxes - many users have reported that the picture quality is noticeably better than a slingbox.
  • My setup is future-proof: Just replace the encoder with a 4K one when you want to
  • My setup is easy to fix - just replace the encoder if it ever goes bad (many different companies make one) - no need to hunt ebay for a used one and hope that you can use the default admin password to set it up
  • There is nothing proprietary about my setup - the encoder and IR blaster can be easily replaced with one from another manufacturer.

· Legend
458 Posts
I built my own Slingbox replacement using just two products from Amazon:
  • My setup doesn't require all these confusing hacks and settings
  • My setup doesn't require a dedicated PC (or pi) to be powered on 24/7.
  • My setup uses a true HDMI input instead of the component input of most slingboxes - many users have reported that the picture quality is noticeably better than a slingbox.
  • My setup is future-proof: Just replace the encoder with a 4K one when you want to
  • My setup is easy to fix - just replace the encoder if it ever goes bad (many different companies make one) - no need to hunt ebay for a used one and hope that you can use the default admin password to set it up
This is easier that the other slingbox plan? I will need to do something as I love my Slingbox, before that I had a Vulcano that was solid also.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,009 Posts
The "hardest" part of my setup is setting up a port forwarding rule in your router ;)
Port forwarding is required either way so that's probably not something to cite in comparing solutions.

I would argue that the most painful part of setting up is configuring Dynamic DNS (also required for both solutions).

Your assembled solution may be a better alternative but it comes at a considerable cost.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts