DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 508. I canceled my programming subscription several years ago but continue to use the 508 to record and watch NASA channel.

Earlier this year I noticed a major change in the user interface. For example, I now have to click twice to open the list of recorded events. The reason I mention this is because firmware upgrades are still being pushed to my receiver even though I'm no longer a customer. I wish I had known about the "block upgrades" feature. I used to keep up with this stuff over in Dan Collins' forum.

Here's my issue: I re-activated my account earlier this month to watch the Olympics. I immediately noticed the cursor became sluggish when navigating within the grid. If I want to move "up" several rows, I have to count button presses, otherwise, the display lags and I overshoot the desired row. Prior to re-activating my account, cursor movement in the grid was very snappy.

I can't imagine that simply re-activating my account or adding programming would cause this behavior. The current firmware is P4.07

Does anyone know what the heck is going on?

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
ginahoy said:
Does anyone know what the heck is going on?
Partly. The responsiveness of the EPG is in part determined by your receivers hardware revision. The only thing you can do in this particular instants is exchange 508s with one that has a different revision number.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blowgun said:
Partly. The responsiveness of the EPG is in part determined by your receivers hardware revision. The only thing you can do in that case is get a receiver with a different revision number.
Thanks for your response. I understand that hw version affects responsiveness, but in this case, there's a dramatic difference from one day to the next. This obviously cannot be explained by hardware.

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to close the loop (and hopefully help others who might be reading this thread), I wanted to share the cause and solution to my problem.

When I signed up for locals last month, I noticed they were translated to their broadcast channel number (e.g., channel 4 for KVOA, whereas the DISH channel is 8952). Pretty convenient, or so I thought. My locals package includes nine Tucson stations plus CSPAN. I set up a "Favorite" list with those ten plus a couple of other channels that are 'in the clear' (NASA TV plus whatever channels DISH is previewing this month).

Apparently channel translations (there are others as well) are implemented in a very inefficient way in the 508, dramatically slowing down grid response time. For example, a navigation sequence of six "up" or "down" clicks, which would normally would take about 2 seconds, takes several times longer with channels remapped. Once I set up my Favorites list with the DISH channels, grid response time returned to normal. Problem solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.