Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon,
In speaking with customer retention earlier in the week they mentioned they were developing a smaller 5lnb dish. Has anyone else heard this and when it might be deployed?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
It's the AU9 model number. I don't have it. It also goes by the term Slimline. It's a little smaller and alittle s leeker looking. I've seen other posts where some folks don't think it's that much smaller. Someone that already has it installed will probably chime in soon and give you better information.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies...the installers brought out the slimline but they were afraid of the wind. In talking with customer retention they made it seem they were developing a smaller dish closer to the current 3lnb dish I have now.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
311 Posts
Watrat said:
Thanks for the replies...the installers brought out the slimline but they were afraid of the wind. In talking with customer retention they made it seem they were developing a smaller dish closer to the current 3lnb dish I have now.
DirecTV CSR's are not kept up to date about things like this. The Slimline is the newest "smaller" dish. If your dish is going on a rooftop the installers should have installed it with two extra braces, called monopoles, to allow it to withstand winds up to 80 MPH or so. Many 5-LNB dishes installed without the extra braces have drifted off point or fell over due to winds.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
w6fxj said:
DirecTV CSR's are not kept up to date about things like this. The Slimline is the newest "smaller" dish. If your dish is going on a rooftop the installers should have installed it with two extra braces, called monopoles, to allow it to withstand winds up to 80 MPH or so. Many 5-LNB dishes installed without the extra braces have drifted off point or fell over due to winds.
The problem is that mine has to go on a chimney..and the installers directv sent out won't put it there. I found an independent installer that someone recommended here but they want $350 plus $125 for a chimney mount plus equipment..but they say its absolutely doable.

·
Legend
218 Posts
That price sounds steep to me. Can you not put the dish anywhere else? I have the slimline dish and its still pretty big compared to the 3 lnb dish that it replaced. It does look a lot better than the at9 dish. IMHO.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gmaxx said:
That price sounds steep to me. Can you not put the dish anywhere else? I have the slimline dish and its still pretty big compared to the 3 lnb dish that it replaced. It does look a lot better than the at9 dish. IMHO.
No, they could put it on my roof but the roof is brand new and don't want it there. Its amazing that the installer I found has no problem doing my chimney but directech won't.

·
Mentor
32 Posts
HiDefGator said:
Is rain fade any different with the AT9 vs. the slimline? If I don't care about the size or looks should I go with the AT9?
Rain fade is reduced with bigger dishes, but what counts is how effective the reflector is and what sensitivity the LNB's have. I've not seen a comparison one way or the other.
Someone would need to have both dishes up in the same location (next to each other) hooked to two different receivers and compare rain fade effects.

One thing to look out for on the AT9 is that the main LNB (that covers the 103 sat) tends to leak and allow moisture in there. I've had mine replaced once, and it needs another replacement. I'm thinking of going to a slimline to address that.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
I'd like to chime in on this one, if I may. I've had a Direcway tx/rx dish for about 4 years now. I don't have the service anymore, but the dish is still there. The Direcway dish is at least 1/3 larger and twice as heavy as the AT9 dish. It survived the 2004 hurricane triple hit I got. No monopoles, no smokepoles, no totem poles, no poles of any kind. The AT9 uses that exact same mounting hardware as the Direcway dish. Just for Shiitz and giggles, I stuck my Birdog on the Direcway dish right after I finished the AT9 installation. Lo and behold there was Satmex5, just as strong as when I installed the dish 4 years ago. As long as the surface you're mounting the dish to is solid I don't think any of the dishes will cause problems. The electronics, well, that may be another story.

·
6 Posts
We recently had the new "slimline" dish installed. Unfortunately I was not at home at the time. When I look at the elevation and tilt setting they are what are suggested for my zip code, however we are not at the center of the zip area and using my GPS I find the setting are about 2 degrees different for my lat/long. I do have the alignment instructions for the AT-9 by dithering, will the same procedure be used for th AU-9?
Doug.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
The settings for the zip are just the starting point. The installer then adjusts the setting to maximize the signal. The AU-9 has a simpler alignment procedure than the AT-9. Both the azimuth and elevation adjustments are similar to the elevation adjustment of the AT-9 (no dither). After az and el are set for 101, tilt is adjusted to maximize the 119 signal.

·
AllStar
65 Posts
There has been speculation that a more compact dish that receives only 99, 101, & 103 will be designed when 110 and 119 can be reassigned to other services.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UncD2000 said:
There has been speculation that a more compact dish that receives only 99, 101, & 103 will be designed when 110 and 119 can be reassigned to other services.
Good evening..this is what I was originally posting after speaking with customer retention. Hoping that this may someday still be the case.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
UncD2000 said:
If that is the case, the 110/119 assembly can easily be removed from a AT-9 (of course the dish won't be any smaller).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.