DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall, I began to notice that when I use the smart search by an actress or actor's name, the results included movies and talk shows that were broadcast in the past. In other words, the results may show an actor is on the Tonight Show, David Letterman, The View, and Entertainment Tonight, but all these shows were actually broadcast months ago. In fact, the actor is not on any of these programs over the next two weeks and they are not shows "On Demand".

I have called DirecTV numerous times about this. At first, I was told it was probably a firmware issue and they would report it to the Engineering Dept. More recently (and I spoke with a Supervisor), I was told that this is by design. DirecTV considers it a "feature" of the smart search. They believe their customers both want and like this. One guy actually told me "some of our customers want to know what talk shows their favorite actor has been on in the past 6 months, even if they can't watch or record them". In addition, he has not heard of anyone complaining about it besides me.

Why would anyone be interested in shows or movies that were broadcast in the past? You can't plan to watch or record them. IMO, it is simply an issue they do not want to address. So instead, they made up this ridiculous excuse that it's a "feature" of the search program. The only way to get the smart search to work correctly, is to disconnect my receiver from the internet.

Do you consider this a useful "feature" of smart serach, a minor fault you are willing to put up with, or an annoyance?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
No big deal here either.

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
I always thought it was supposed to be an historic database, under TV shows under filmography. No complaints here, either.

If anything available is upcoming that the person is in, that should appear in the list before getting to the filmography option.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
BobCA said:
Do you consider this a useful "feature" of smart serach, a minor fault you are willing to put up with, or an annoyance?
I no longer have DIRECTV, but I will often IMDB a show to see what other shows or movies an actor that looks familiar to me appeared in. Linking to a database of an actor's work is a pretty handy feature, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
Yep. Under filmography it's i think the database pulled from IMDb. And it's split between movies and tv. But for shows upcoming that's on the first screen where the autorecord option is as well.

It even lists their birth date and place. It's bio info. I like it and everyone else I know does too.

·
AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Delroy E Walleye said:
I always thought it was supposed to be an historic database, under TV shows under filmography. No complaints here, either.

If anything available is upcoming that the person is in, that should appear in the list before getting to the filmography option.
I'm not sure I follow. The filmography is historic, I agree. I am referring to the just the search results (I am not seleting filmography). Is there a way for me to see just the upcoming programs (that are available to record), not what was on months ago?

·
Legend
377 Posts
I 100% agree with the OP. Used to be that search was a useful tool. If you entered a name say Tom Hanks it would show you all the movies or talk shows or whatever he was on in the near future so if you wanted to record it prospectively you could. Now it is useless. The results may say for example The Tonight Show because he was on that in the past but is not going to be on it anytime soon.

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
BobCA said:
I'm not sure I follow. The filmography is historic, I agree. I am referring to the just the search results (I am not seleting filmography). Is there a way for me to see just the upcoming programs (that are available to record), not what was on months ago?
The choices should be "autorecord," "filmogrophy" and "done," with only the currently available shows (usually including on-demand) listed on that first results screen.

For me it works this way whether I use "smart search" on a person, or select on a person from the "cast and crew" list. Also, it works the same whether I'm searching in an old HR21, or the newer HR44. The only way this works differently for me is using the H25, which can only contain a current database. No history (or posters or other past work) in the H25 receiver.

Sounds like either 1, you've got a "bug" in your machine, 2, are somehow getting past the first search screen, 3, you're using a DVR or receiver the rest of us are unfamiliar with or 4, perhaps another search option. Not sure what would be different on your end of things...

·
Legend
377 Posts
The unusable search happens on my HR44 and HR24s. The three options are there but there is no first screen or whatever you are talking about. If I search for a person by name or as part of cast and crew the next screen that comes up is one that lists all historical appearances whether on in the near future or not. This is more of an issue if the person is on a show like a talk show or a one off appearance than historical movies. It makes searching for upcoming appearance like on Fallon or Kimmel impossible. It never used to be that way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.