DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From TVbytheNumbers (and others):
NBC has renewed its critically acclaimed musical drama "Smash" (Mondays, 10-11 p.m. ET) for a second season, it was announced today by Robert Greenblatt, Chairman of NBC Entertainment.

"Smash" is NBC's #1 drama in adults 18-49 and total viewers. "Smash" is up 160 percent in 18-49 versus NBC's season average in the time period prior to "Smash" (with a 2.6 rating vs. a 1.0, "live plus same day") and in total viewers, "Smash" has improved the time period by 100 percent (7.7 million vs. 3.9 million).
I glad to see it renewed though I'm finding recent episodes of the show a little too bogged down in soap story arcs and I'm not real impressed with Debra Messing in this show. But the rest of the cast is excellent and the development of the production of "Marilyn: the Musical" is fun to watch.

And poor NBC. To be thrilled with ratings that places the show #3 in a competition of 3....

·
1*
10,289 Posts
phrelin said:
And poor NBC. To be thrilled with ratings that places the show #3 in a competition of 3....
It's like the old joke of Russia and the U.S. competing in basketball in the Olympics after everyone else boycotted. The U.S. wins and the headlines in the U.S. the next day read, "U.S. Defeats Russia. Wins Gold Medal." The Russian papers' headlines the next day are "Russia Wins Silver Medal. U.S. Places Next to Last." :)

- Merg

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
I was just thinking how Ms. Messing seems lost here- not a good role for her. The story is way slow, and I wonder if they have enough to even finish out this year....

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I had high hopes after seeing the first show. I've been a little let down. The show needs more of Ms. Huston (who is divine), many more songs, and a lot less of that "Ellis" character. He's no fun.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
Agree about Ellis. Glad AH put him in his place.

The Mrs. and I are still really enjoying the show, so I'm happy it got renewed. The "Marilyn" musical production numbers are first rate, IMHO. Makes me want to see the play for real, should it ever make it to Broadway.

I was also happy to see Bernadette Peters looking so good. It's been years since I saw her in anything, and she's still "got it", IMHO.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
Well that's good news at least!

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears that NBC has recognized that the show has "creative" problems. According to Deadline Hollywood the show "will return next fall without its creator/executive producer/showrunner Theresa Rebeck."

According to the story:
While the pilot of Smash was universally praised, there have been some qualms about the creative direction of the series - chronicling the creation of a Marilyn Monroe Broadway musical - which became increasingly soapy. Additionally, Smash, which started off big and broad, sometimes meandered into niche territory by focusing too much on the insider Broadway stuff over the human drama of the two singers, played by Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee, battling it out for the role of their career. Rebeck, a playwright in addition to being a screenwriter, will have a continuing presence on Smash - the female lead on the show, Julia (Debra Messing), half of a successful Broadway writing team, was based on her.
I think they could have a much stronger second season if they bring in the right writers. Therein lies the challenge.

·
Large Member
4,867 Posts
I don't know why but I usually hate shows like this, but I just love Smash. Maybe it's just Katherine McPhee I love especially when she closes her sexy eyes and belts out a song at a Bar Mitzvah. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.