DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Legend/Supporter
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to watching the new season and wondered why the the cast was changed. I like the two new guys, but liked the two who left too. Don't much care for the new announcer though. Anyone else still watching it?

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
I gave up last season. I tried it once this season, but it's so completely ridiculous that I just can't stand it.

The episode I watched had the girl and a new guy trying to make a personal rescue device for if you fell off a cruise ship. Ok, good concept. They both wanted to try some sort of personal ascender. He wanted to launch a grappling hook from an air gun, she wanted to use a crossbow.

So they build their rigs.

Then they jump in the water. Apparently without ever testing them, because she can't manage to load her crossbow. He loads his grappling hook just fine, and it shoots a grand total of about 1/2". Are you telling me he never tried firing his grappling hook before jumping in the water to see if it would work?

That was enough for me. That kind of shoddy "science" was more than I could handle.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I gave up on this show after the 1st episode (last year). Too much like a cheap MythBuster's knockoff.

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,251 Posts
I tried one episode of the new season and was amazed that the show could actually get even worse.

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
MIKE0616 said:
and this show has apparently been canceled (thankfully) and replaced by an equally lame "Prototype This".
The only saving grace for Prototype This is that they've actually done a couple of pretty cool things. The "mind controlled" cars was a pretty fun episode, and the last one I watched was some firefighter gear which actually ended up pretty cool, with a heads up display built into the helmet which interacted with RFID in the other firefighters so you could navigate in the dark and see who you were with, etc.

Admittedly, watching them fumble about making the stuff isn't particularly interesting, and more than once I've seen them do something while thinking to myself "There's no way in hell that's going to work" and, low and behold, it doesn't work...

The end result has actually been fairly interesting in a few of these shows.

· Godfather
484 Posts
Sharkie_Fan said:
The only saving grace for Prototype This is that they've actually done a couple of pretty cool things. The "mind controlled" cars was a pretty fun episode, and the last one I watched was some firefighter gear which actually ended up pretty cool, with a heads up display built into the helmet which interacted with RFID in the other firefighters so you could navigate in the dark and see who you were with, etc.

Admittedly, watching them fumble about making the stuff isn't particularly interesting, and more than once I've seen them do something while thinking to myself "There's no way in hell that's going to work" and, low and behold, it doesn't work...

The end result has actually been fairly interesting in a few of these shows.
I thought that rescue machine / equipment carrier on the Firefighter episode was going to get someone hurt (or killed), but was glad to see it work and would like to see that type of device actually used. The "in-fire" gear was a nice integration / implementation of available technology and fire departments all over should be asking for that NOW.

At least this show is making some things that are reasonably apt to the world, unlike what the crew on Smash Labs was doing. The crew seems to have a better grip on what to do, how to do it, and when to call in experts.

The downside is that the regulars on the show are not as interesting as the original MythBusters are, but then neither are the add-ons there either, IMO.

I hope the PrototypeThis show keeps developing like the 1st season of MB did, if it does (and maybe a personality implant for a couple of regulars, too), I think Discovery has another good offering for us to watch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.