DBSTalk Forum banner

Snow on dish 1000.4..

10K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  krel 
#1 ·
I just late this summer received an upgrade to the 1000.4 (from the 1000.2) to use the eastern arc (due to tree growth)... I live in southwest Michigan and we just started getting a few snow showers (and a storm or two),,, it does not take much to cover my dish now. The previous dish appeared to be aimed lower so the build up was much less and I had no issues...

Anyone had any luck with a heater of accessory of any kind for such a large dish? A local tech mentioned to try and coat the dish with a spray on silicone. Not sure what to do but would love some recommendations…

Thanks all,

#3 ·
IIP said:
Dish heaters work; sprays don't.
Just how much snow do you get in the Bay area?

For me, spray on silicone has worked very well for the last 12 winters (and we get some fairly heavy snows here). I spray my dishes twice a year. The first time is about this time of year and then I spray them again in late February. Its the heavy wet snows in late winter that usually cause more signal loses than the dry snows of December and January. The second spraying has really helped eliminate that problem.

While you are doing that it is also a good idea to check your connectors. The installer should have used "moisture sealed" connectors but it is often a good idea to give the connectors some extra protection (especially at ground blocks and connections to switches).

#4 ·
My EA is like a snow cone right now and I still have signal... :lol:

If your worried about it silicone is cheaper and safer than a heater. Then again in the past I have used dish covers with good success. If you buy a cover for a 1000Plus it should fit. The reflector and mast length are very similar.

#5 ·
I've cleaned my dishes 3 times in 24 hours. First time I had lost 129 completely, which doesn't take much more than a thick cloud anyway. Last two times were precautionary but there was snow building up on the dish.

Normal snow is never a problem but we had a day of temps hovering around freezing and wet, wind-driven snow. That builds up a rough layer on the dish and it won't reflect the signal to the LNB. I've tried sprays but nothing seems to help with this kind of snow. Odd thing is my Dish 1000 is much more prone to problems than my original Dish 300 which I now use for 61.5. Fortunatley both dishes can be reached from the ground.

#6 ·
Ice kills more than snow ... thick clouds (heavy thunderstorms) have blocked more signal to my dish than anything else (other than a squirrel who likes to sit on my LNB housing).

#7 ·
James Long said:
Ice kills more than snow ... thick clouds (heavy thunderstorms) have blocked more signal to my dish than anything else (other than a squirrel who likes to sit on my LNB housing).
Do you have a picture of that squirrel on the LNB housing?

#8 ·
No ... but I have a picture of something he left there (a corn cob).

#11 ·
I posted this in another section,but use some vegatable oil for snow,It will not stick,unless its snowing hard and thn you wont have a signal anyways.Works here where I live south of ya about 700 miles and it can snow some here pretty deep occassionally,but it slides off with oil left behind.

There's some real slick none freezing spray type mechanic lube that works great for bitter cold areas and if I can remember the name I will post it.That stuff is slick and hards to wash off and wont freeze period regardless the temps below O!

Ever try a 34" super dish with a dish HD wide lnb with the arm attachment for a single lnb for the 129 sat?I have 3 of those and get a strong signal hard to knock out with heavy clouds,hard rain,heavy snow,snow covered,or the such.These work real nice when it comes that way and I havent experienced the snow part here like a few I know that have them in upper Ohio.Just a thought...

casey

#15 ·
It snowed when I lived near Wichita Falls, Texas. Got half an inch - schools closed and they used road graders (construction equipment) to plow it away.

Not quite the same handicaps in Indiana. :)

#16 ·
James Long said:
It snowed when I lived near Wichita Falls, Texas. Got half an inch - schools closed and they used road graders (construction equipment) to plow it away.

Not quite the same handicaps in Indiana. :)
People around here do not know how to drive in snow, that is why the schools close, on ocasion it can snow a great deal in north Texas, not every year but, some years it does. I have had my dish "snowed out" here before I am about 100 miles east of Whitcha Falls but, the weather is much the same.

#20 ·
We get a little every few years, I remember like 5 inches in 2004, but usually it's just a few flakes.

And yeah, if three flakes are noticed falling, schools shutdown, and all hell breaks loose, lol.

#21 ·
ZBoomer said:
We get a little every few years, I remember like 5 inches in 2004, but usually it's just a few flakes.

And yeah, if three flakes are noticed falling, schools shutdown, and all hell breaks loose, lol.
Same way here in Arkansas. lol, don't forget to run to the store to stock up for a week. that always amazes me how much people buy when the threat of snow/sleet is on. lol

#24 ·
Jason Nipp said:
OK.... Update, Another 4 inches of white stuff precluded by ice, and I had to finally sweep off the reflector. First time in 7 years I have had to clean off a dish.

I suspect that is because EA (72w) has a much lower signal.
I'll agree with that. I set up my 1000.4 last night and couldn't find 72° following the instructions (switch check with nothing connected to clear the matrix - connect to output 2 - find 72° TP 19 or 21). After scanning the skies a few times I did a switch check just to make sure the 1k.4 was connected and 61.5° came up immediately (I was that close to being there). I used 61.5° to get as close as possible then redid the switch check and peaked on 72° as instructed.

I managed to pull low 50's off of 72° and keep around 60 on the 61.5°. Forgot to check the levels on 77°. But a lower powered satellite will lead to more problems with weather. Ask anyone with 129°. :)

#26 ·
It has been a while since you told me ... I guess I should not have read the manual. :)

My dishes are intentionally sheltered from the weather ... under the eves of my house where snow rarely touches them. I like the mount on the 1000.4 ... I can spin it all the way around without hitting the wall. The dish 500 I had there was touching the siding because of the angle needed to get both 61.5° and 72.7°.

Here are a couple of pictures taken this morning ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.