DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an HR 10-250 which I own.
Was paying for HD and apparantly the unit only receives SD all this time?
Called 3 times to D in the past 2 days with so much varying responses I just want to cancel everything.

My simple question is this. I have this 1 unit which I would like to upgrade to be able to record more than 2 shows at the same time.
D said they would offer me a whole house network system which will do this.
The rep couldn't tell me what the unit was until it was ordered?

What will record more than 2 channels and be HD?
Thinking of just using OTA to get real HD for free since I just read this unit will record OTA content and cancel my D after 12 years with them.

· Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
The only HD satellite receiver that will record more then 2 channels is the HR34. It is capable of recording 5 simultaneous programs and ships with a 1TB drive (it's expandable to a larger hard drive by adding an external sata HD).

The HR 34 requires a SWM lnb.
An OTA add-on module called an AM21/AM21N can be added to any HX or HRx HD receiver....

As far as an OTA HD recorder goes without a satellite subscription, Channel master makes a dual tuner HD recorder for ATSC channels.

· Large Member
4,792 Posts
If you want to record MORE THAN 2 channels at once you have to ask them specifically for "Home Media Center" DVR (the HR34) which, as stated above, will record 5 channels at once. If you want a normal DVR which records 2 channels they will send you any one of a large number of other models from the HR20 to the HR24. In that case you have no option which model you will get from them.

If you only have one receiver in your home you don't need the whole house network. If you have multiple receivers and want to watch shows from 1 DVR in a different room you do. If you purchase the "Home Media Center" (HMC) and do have multiple receivers they probably will try to force the "whole home" system on you (which, IMO, is the best thing going).

Also, as mentioned above, if you want OTA (which will NOT work if you drop DirecTV on the newer receivers) with the exception of the HR20 (oldest model but does have built-in OTA) you would have to BUY an AM-21 OTA "adapter."

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Also worth noting, the HR10 is a Tivo based DVR. DirecTV chose to move away from Tivo when they introduced their HD DVR products (The HR2x series and HR34). They have recently introduced a new Tivo based HD DVR, the THR22.

Do some reading on this forum, as the user experience between the Tivo based units and the non-Tivo based DirecTV units is different. In your case, with only a single TV using an HR10, you might be better served with the THR22. It is a 2 tuner DVR.

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
"Dr Pete" said:
Thinking of just using OTA to get real HD for free since I just read this unit will record OTA content and cancel my D after 12 years with them.
If you cancel your DirecTV service you will also cancel your TiVo service and you will not be able to record anything, even OTA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.