DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to a new house in Morris County in northern New Jersey. I have two very big trees in my front yard that block the southwest sky. It appears that my only choice if I want DirecTV is to mount the dish on one of those trees.

I know there are big drawbacks to this as trees have a tendency to grow, leading to dishes needing to be realigned, etc.

So I'm trying to decide if its worth it. My only other option is iO through Cablevision.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

1. To clear the neighbors' trees, I'd have to have the dish about 20' up the trunk of the tree. It's a big tree, so I'm not worried about the dish moving.

2. I have to take down a fairly big branch to clear a line of sight.

3. The installer can't guarantee the reception from the 2 satellites that are furthest west and lowest on the horizon (he didn't lug his meter up the ladder with him). Any idea what that mean for me in terms of programming? He says the 3 "main satellites" are not a problem.

4. This clearly is not a standard install, so I imagine this will be all on my dime other than whatever credits I can wrangle out of customer retention.

I appreciate any and all thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Banned
231 Posts
O'C;687926 said:
I just moved to a new house in Morris County in northern New Jersey. I have two very big trees in my front yard that block the southwest sky. It appears that my only choice if I want DirecTV is to mount the dish on one of those trees.

I know there are big drawbacks to this as trees have a tendency to grow, leading to dishes needing to be realigned, etc.

So I'm trying to decide if its worth it. My only other option is iO through Cablevision.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

1. To clear the neighbors' trees, I'd have to have the dish about 20' up the trunk of the tree. It's a big tree, so I'm not worried about the dish moving.

2. I have to take down a fairly big branch to clear a line of sight.

3. The installer can't guarantee the reception from the 2 satellites that are furthest west and lowest on the horizon (he didn't lug his meter up the ladder with him). Any idea what that mean for me in terms of programming? He says the 3 "main satellites" are not a problem.

4. This clearly is not a standard install, so I imagine this will be all on my dime other than whatever credits I can wrangle out of customer retention.

I appreciate any and all thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Chris
DUDE - this will probably be fine 90% of the time. Wind may not be your friend if that puppy starts dancing around?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,530 Posts
O'C;687926 said:
... 1. To clear the neighbors' trees, I'd have to have the dish about 20' up the trunk of the tree. It's a big tree, so I'm not worried about the dish moving. ...
You may have more trouble here than you expect.

Even a large tree will experience movement 20' up the trunk when the wind starts to blow (more of a problem when the tree is full of leaves, of course). There's very little margin for error in aiming at the satellites, so I'd expect loss of signal during windy conditions as the dish alignment is affected.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I talked to the installer that did the survey again. I can definitely get the 101 from a pole mounted dish way in the back of my property, so I can decide to go for just SD for now and see what changes over the next year.

The last time I went through the installation hassles was pre-HD and my house had a clear view of the sky. The install was a snap. I'm amazed at how complicated this can get.

·
Legend
188 Posts
Why can't you pole mount the dish at the tree line. If you were going to put on the tree anyway, you won't have to run anymore cable. That is what I would do, just put it by the tree that you could mount it on and pray you don't get a falling limb, which although possible would require a good dose of bad luck. That's what I would do.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tommyb said:
Why can't you pole mount the dish at the tree line. If you were going to put on the tree anyway, you won't have to run anymore cable. That is what I would do, just put it by the tree that you could mount it on and pray you don't get a falling limb, which although possible would require a good dose of bad luck. That's what I would do.
Thanks Tommy, but I think that's a no-go. In addition to my own trees which are in the way, I need to clear the neighbor's trees across the street. So the dish needs to be 15'-20' up in the tree, which I think is less and less realistic. Even I can't justify putting a pole that would be sturdy enough at 15' in the middle of my front lawn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.