DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was an exciting day for Good Ole SB! Today I installed my first SWM dish and everything was as smooth as silk. Thanks to the good work of the DBSTalk.com community. You guys are invaluable tools to techs like me. I am telling everyone in the office about this site!

Oh a little something else. My SWM was a converted customer from Comcast who wanted to keep the Comcast internet. I got the HDDVR and the Comcast interwebbie to come through perfect! It was beautiful!

P.S. I had my DBSTalk cheat sheet with me!!!!:lol:

SB

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
SebastianBlack said:
Today was an exciting day for Good Ole SB! Today I installed my first SWM dish and everything was as smooth as silk. Thanks to the good work of the DBSTalk.com community. You guys are invaluable tools to techs like me. I am telling everyone in the office about this site!

Oh a little something else. My SWM was a converted customer from Comcast who wanted to keep the Comcast internet. I got the HDDVR and the Comcast interwebbie to come through perfect! It was beautiful!

SB
Wonderful. glad to hear about successes

· Registered
2,913 Posts
SebastianBlack said:

SB
Congrats, way to go!
I got the HDDVR and the Comcast interwebbie to come through perfect!
???? Could you explain?

· AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Customer wanted to keep the internet and wanted the HDDVR. I diplexed the lines and internet and D* both work perfectly independent of each other with the existing lines in the house. Therefore, eliminating the need to travel up into the hot attic to wall fish the second line to the HDDVR.

· Legend
120 Posts
SebastianBlack said:

SB
I've installed 3 so far and everything 's been smooth.My last one I installed a bar with 8 HD receivers,man was i glad not to run all 4 lines ,would've been hectic.

· Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
NYCEGUY01 said:
If you diplexed it with the swm lnb you will be back in that attic sooner than you think.

If you didnt use a diplexer on the sat line then it will work but by reading your post thats sure what it sounds like you did.
It is very simple to diplex using the SWMLine Dish. I have had mine that way since the beginning of the field trials for that SWMline dish. It works fine. See my signature.

· AllStar
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NYCEGUY01 said:
If you diplexed it with the swm lnb you will be back in that attic sooner than you think.

If you didnt use a diplexer on the sat line then it will work but by reading your post thats sure what it sounds like you did.
The order goes like this:

SWM LNB one line ------->Sat side for D*/Cable from street TV side-->in/out diplexor line going inside house----->in/out diplexor---->sat line for D* into the PI-29 red side--->line to swm4 input from white side of PI-29---->line to HDDVR/HD into red output on SWM4 switch--->tv side of diplexor to line going to the computer......something like that...

· Icon
749 Posts
SebastianBlack said:

SB
I done 6 so far.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
NYCEGUY01 said:

There is no problem diplexing onto the sat line with the SWM. The SWM moves all the sat channels to frequencies away from OTA so they don't interfere with each other. Cable modems can be more of a problem depending on which frequencies they use.

· Registered
8,035 Posts
Despite it *currently* working, it doesn't change the fact that it is not approved or supported by DirecTv. Anyone or any Tech that diplexes on the SWMLine LNB does so at their own peril.

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
kevinm34232 said:
So diplexing cable, internet and OTA works with the SWMLine but is just not approved or supported?
It seems to be true.

It's been done and works.

You just can't get CSRs to support it.

Mike

· Icon
682 Posts
While I install all my own stuff, I is great to see all the Techs on this forum looking to enhance their training and knowledge. If I ever really need a Tech, I hope I get one like all of you! Taking pride in your work and knowledge is something not to be taken lightly in this day and age. Keep it up!

· AllStar
92 Posts
Awesome to hear a fellow tech trying things out. I should be getting my SWMline wihtin the next week. We haven't been trained on them yet. I am tring to talk the shop into doing live training at my house :D I have my main HR20 and secondary HR21 diplexed. Also I have 2 R16's that are only connected with one line, since I really don't want to wall fish my OWN house LOL.

I will keep you guys posted when I get it up and running.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
gen2rx7 said:
since I really don't want to wall fish my OWN house LOL.
:lol: That's pretty darn funny.

SWM is really an awesome new technology. I'm happy DirecTV spent as much time as they did making sure it was ready for prime time. I've been a SWM user for about a year and a half and it has been AWESOME!

· Registered
8,035 Posts
kevinm34232 said:
So diplexing cable, internet and OTA works with the SWMLine but is just not approved or supported?
It works in most cases for now. The future isn't so clear. DirecTv neither approves of or supports diplexing with a SWMLine LNB. Specifically, they say to run an additional line or don't diplex at all. They do not want to and will not be liable for diplexed results.

· AllStar
73 Posts
Ive seen them work diplexed as well. BUT when coupled with a cable modem is where I think you will have a problem.

We tried it at out local shop and it really slowed the connection down to a crawl and then just failed after a week or so.

When the diplexer was removed everything went back to normal.

Also if your QC dept is on the ball they should fail that job immiedately for a non supported install.

Heres the big problem from experience. What happens when it fails and the next tech actually listens to DTV and tells the customer he needs a second line ???

He will be very upset because now he has a problem and the last guy told him it would work.

There has to be at least minimum standards with these installs. Untill everyone does thier job the way theyre supposed to we will continue to see all the negative posts here and other forums etc...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.