DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm very confused. I upgraded to the new KaKu gigantic dish, and got the HR20 which is cool, so now I get the PVR. I had HD already on my old receiver, my question is with this new setup are the channels supposed to be clearer with the new MPEG4 encoding or is that not available yet ? I really don't see any difference with the new dish, etc.

Thanks
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
550 Posts
As far as I know all local channels that are in HD are provided via MPEG4 so the difference is that. Your old HD (I'm assuming you had the HR10-250 Tivo box) used an antenna to provide local HD content versus the satellite so that would also be a big difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
lguvenoz said:
As far as I know all local channels that are in HD are provided via MPEG4
This is correct. Any of the channels in the 70 range are MPEG2. All HD locals and HD RSNs provided by D* are MPEG4.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
jerkieman said:
So when do all the channels go HD and Mpeg 4 ?

Thanks for the quick response.
Over the next year, you will start to see the transition of MPEG2-HD to MPEG4.
There is no definitive timeline.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
PoitNarf said:
This is correct. Any of the channels in the 70 range are MPEG2. All HD locals and HD RSNs provided by D* are MPEG4.
Technically there are still NY & LA locals via MPEG2 ;)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
"Technically there are still NY & LA locals via MPEG2 "

Thank you for saying that--it is often overloooked.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im in NYC, so when im looking at 2, 4, 5, 7 are they MPEG 2 or MPEG 4. I guess my other question is does MPEG 4 give me a better picture then MPEG2 or just better compression so DirectTV can offer more channels ?
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
118 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Over the next year, you will start to see the transition of MPEG2-HD to MPEG4.
There is no definitive timeline.
Will this new stuff be coming from the 99 and 103 satellites?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
596 Posts
jsevinsk said:
Will this new stuff be coming from the 99 and 103 satellites?
Yes all of the new MPEG 4 HD channels will come from those two satellites.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
228 Posts
TimGoodwin said:
Yes all of the new MPEG 4 HD channels will come from those two satellites.
So, let me get this straight - MPEG4 feeds are satellite dependent? Am I correct in concluding that:
1.) The 'old' 119, 110 & 101 birds are not MPEG4 capable?
2.) All new birds will only be MPEG4 - hence new HD content is dependent upon future satellite deployments?

What will become of the 119, 110 & 101 sats? Retirement home?

Just curious.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
qlanus said:
What will become of the 119, 110 & 101 sats? Retirement home?

Just curious.
DIRECTV will be putting them on EBAY.:lol:

I'm guessing the 119, 110 & 101 sats will be used for other DIRECTV channels.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
:) I would want one if it was on Ebay...

101 is still going to be the main slot for SD National and SD Locals

110 & 119 have SD Locals on them, some international programming.
It is possible they will take the items off the 72 and 91 (?) sats... and move them over to those two Sats... so more people can receive them with just a signle dish.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
jerkieman said:
So I'm very confused. I upgraded to the new KaKu gigantic dish, and got the HR20 which is cool, so now I get the PVR. I had HD already on my old receiver, my question is with this new setup are the channels supposed to be clearer with the new MPEG4 encoding or is that not available yet ? I really don't see any difference with the new dish, etc.

Thanks
My new 5 LNB dish is larger than the 3 LNB dish but I won't say it's gigantic.
Don't scare away the people that don't have the 5 LNB dish yet and are still trying to get the wife's approval.:)
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
23,903 Posts
qlanus said:
1.) The 'old' 119, 110 & 101 birds are not MPEG4 capable?
No. The method used to transmit the programming is hardware independent.
2.) All new birds will only be MPEG4 - hence new HD content is dependent upon future satellite deployments?
No. They will likely require the behemoth dish though as DirecTV has chosen to use higher frequencies (larger dishes and/or more rain fade). The old birds should work through their forecast lifetimes providing national content to the small dish users.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
As harsh pointed out...

Two different things:

Compression Technology
Transmission Technology

The later is what is important to the SATS

So why move all the HD to the other two?
So they get more room on the 101 (everyone can see it), and the 110/119 where a good amount of the population can see it.
So they can continue to add more SD channels.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
244 Posts
jerkieman said:
Im in NYC, so when im looking at 2, 4, 5, 7 are they MPEG 2 or MPEG 4. I guess my other question is does MPEG 4 give me a better picture then MPEG2 or just better compression so DirectTV can offer more channels ?
In NYC 2,4,5 and 7 are SD. The HD versions are 80(CBS),82(NBC),86(ABC) and 88(FOX). They are MPEG2. I think the only channels in MPEG4 in NYC are YES and SNY with the HR20. If you have the HR10 you only get YES and SNY in SD (channels 622 and 625).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Car1181 said:
In NYC 2,4,5 and 7 are SD. The HD versions are 80(CBS),82(NBC),86(ABC) and 88(FOX). They are MPEG2. I think the only channels in MPEG4 in NYC are YES and SNY with the HR20. If you have the HR10 you only get YES and SNY in SD (channels 622 and 625).
Actually if you have and AT9 and an HR20 you should see two of each for 2, 4, 5 and 7. One is MPEG4 HD and the other is MPEG2 SD. You will also have 80, 82, 86 and 88 which are MPEG2 HD.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
Coming from the days of C-band dishes (and having two ten-footers and a 12 foot fiberglass dish where I work) I never thought I'd hear the AT9 referred to as "gigantic" or a "behemoth."

We sure take technology for granted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
paulman182 said:
"Technically there are still NY & LA locals via MPEG2 "

Thank you for saying that--it is often overloooked.
....and these LA/NY locals appear in the 80's. The NY MPEG4 Locals appear as their normal channel number.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top