• Mark Kanemura

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Stephen "Twitch" Boss

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • William "Will" Wingfield

Votes: 1 8.3%

So you think you can Dance 7/16/2008 and 7/17/2008

1083 Views 19 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Sharkie_Fan
Ah .. The Top 10 .. and this week we have the return of Comfort. It's certainly the first time in my recent memory that we've had a sub brought in, but with dancers pairing off you can't very well leave a hole like you could on Survivor.

Anyway .. the Dancers switch partners this week unless they happen to draw the same name. This week also, it should be the two with the lowest vote totals (guy & girl). As a result, I'm going to have a block for each person and you can vote for your favorites again.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Here was tonight's order:

Courtney & Joshua
Kherington & Mark
Comfort & Twitch
Katee & Will
Chelsie & Gev
I have to say my favorite couple by far was Katee & Will .. no question. Courtney & Joshua are second and were also very good. Chelsie and Mark were also very good in my book.

What did I not like .. Kherington & Mark .. :nono2:

I was a bit indifferent to Comfort & Twitch. Interestingly enough in my non-cultured world I enjoyed the waltz from them more than I enjoyed the hip-hop routine .. The Judges were quite the opposite.
As for the best .. Joshua has a great shot at winning the whole thing despite the fact he is not as technical as Katee & Will.
Doug Brott said:
I was a bit indifferent to Comfort & Twitch. Interestingly enough in my non-cultured world I enjoyed the waltz from them more than I enjoyed the hip-hop routine .. The Judges were quite the opposite.
I thought their hip hop routine was great - and am by no means in the hip hopper demographic. Overall I thought most of the routines were pretty bad last night. I think Gev and Comfort are gone.
So, just as I was beginning to understand the old format.... :lol:

First if I may say, I think it's a shame that Comfort was brought back because I think that Jessica would have been a better choice. I think it's a double shame that she drew hip hop, because any other dance would have shown her essential weakness. Because she is a hip hop dancer, she did not seem as weak as previous episodes.

However, the pairing of Will and Katee was simply magic. Those two have lept from the pack and I would be willing to bet that one of them will be the winner. No matter if I'm wrong, for both have attracted enough national attention to make their careers. Their dancing was spot on. It reached out to me and I was extremely entertained.

I also think Chelsie has a great career in front of her. She is full of energy, precision, and style. In some ways she reminds me of Julianne Hough. I liked it when Mary said watching her and Gev was like Dancing with the Stars... I thought the same thing. She dragged him along for the ride. I had hoped he'd be gone by now but we'll see where it goes.

I will say that my affection for Kherington is waning, though. She's such a positive and upbeat young lady, and I think she's more talented than I will ever be, but clearly she is not up to the superstar level of some of the others. A shame, really because she is very entertaining. I feel the same way about Courtney. She's certainly a great dancer but being surrounded by superb dancers makes her seem less so.

"Twitch" was fairly disappointing but I do not blame him, being saddled with Comfort. The hip hop routine they did was probably quite good but for now, I just have to admit that I neither like nor understand hip-hop. He'll be all right this week I suspect and maybe he'll draw a better partner next week.

As for Joshua and Mark, I think these guys are great. I don't think they had much to work with this week and I just hope they stay safely in the middle of the pack and get a chance to shine next week.
See less See more
Doug Brott said:
As for the best .. Joshua has a great shot at winning the whole thing despite the fact he is not as technical as Katee & Will.
I told my wife last week that I thought Joshua had a good chance of winning this thing. He's good. Not as good as some of the others, but he makes up for it with personality. He seems like a really nice kid who is just genuinely thrilled to be dancing there.

Stuart Sweet said:
First if I may say, I think it's a shame that Comfort was brought back because I think that Jessica would have been a better choice.

I will say that my affection for Kherington is waning, though. She's such a positive and upbeat young lady, and I think she's more talented than I will ever be, but clearly she is not up to the superstar level of some of the others. A shame, really because she is very entertaining. I feel the same way about Courtney. She's certainly a great dancer but being surrounded by superb dancers makes her seem less so.
I agree it's a shame they had to bring in a sub.... There was something about Jessica that I liked, even though she hadn't really shown that she could be really good with any kind of consistency.

And don't sell youself short, Stuart. I bet you could bust out a mean Tango. ;)

I agree with the sentiment though. Kherington and Courtney are both very, very good dancers. But they're just a step below some of the others in the competition who are clearly GREAT dancers.

For those girls (and, when it boils down to it, the guys like Gev and Mark and probably Twitch) there's no shame in losing this competition. You can be damn good and still lose when you're facing off against great dancers.
Sharkie_Fan said:
I agree with the sentiment though. Kherington and Courtney are both very, very good dancers. But they're just a step below some of the others in the competition who are clearly GREAT dancers.
Don't be shocked if Courtney beats out Chelsie for the final two girls .. Kherington and Comfort will be the next two girls to go and the order really doesn't matter. Courtney does well in the solos and has that "cutsie" factor. But yes, Chelsie has a lot of good about her .. So that leads us to a final four (for the girls) of:

Katee and (Courtney or Chelsie)

On the guys side .. Twitch's thing is waning so he'll be out. I like Gev and he'll have his place in dance somewhere but he'll be out as well. Mark? .. Well, that's who I think will go home tonight .. again, Gev has that likability (even if you don't like him Stuart :) ). So on the guys side the final two will be:

Joshua and Will

Of that group, I believe that it's an almost certainty that either Katee or Joshua will win .. Joshua is the likely person simply because .. Dude! he's a popper and he can do THAT? Yeah, I think he's effectively shed the popper label now :)

So I'll put the final four at:

Katee, Joshua, Will, Courtney

And I still think the guys are better than the girls this year (as a whole).
See less See more
I agree with you, Doug, on three out of four. I think Chelsie has got more "cutsie" than Courtney, although admittedly they're both pretty high on the "awwwwww" scale. Chelsie needs to bring up the quality in her solos, though, and that's where you may be right.

Who will go home tonight? Comfort, for one. I really hope so anyway. Mark or Gev, that's a no brainer. But we'll have to agree to disagree for about 13 more hours (as we're both in the same time zone). I have to hope it's Gev.
You may be right Doug. Courtney's solos may be enough to put her in the final 4 ahead of Chelsie.

Personally, I think Chelsie is the better dancer, BUT.... the solos can carry alot of weight, especially if they're good solos. In general, I'm not a big fan of ANY of the solo dances. The 'beauty of the dance', to great extent, is lost on me in the solo performances. That said, I was thoroughly entertained by Courtney's solo last week!

And you're 100% right about Joshua.... it gets mentioned from time to time that Twitch is dancing "out of his element" and doing well. But so is Joshua, and I don't think I've heard the judges comment on it. And, honestly, Joshua is doing a better job of it (and it pains me to say that becuase I LOVE Twitch. I was a big fan of Twitch LAST season when he just missed out on the top 20).
I certainly do agree with you, Doug - "And I still think the guys are better than the girls this year (as a whole)."

Sharkie_Fan said:
And you're 100% right about Joshua.... it gets mentioned from time to time that Twitch is dancing "out of his element" and doing well. But so is Joshua, and I don't think I've heard the judges comment on it.
And how many times has Joshua had the opportunity to dance in his own style? Once is all I can remember. How about Twitch? (3 times plus 1 krumping)

Obviously, the hip hop "contest" between Twitch and Comfort in their second dance was very energetic, punched up, and fun to watch. However, the difference between him doing his own style and Mark & Kherington doing that 2-step is enormous!

With that 2-step being extremely technical, I was actually impressed they finished as well as they did, plus learned a second dance, plus did a solo. That was a ton of choreography to learn in one week!

Katee won me over last night. I've liked what she's done before, but she really wowed me! Will has impressed me most of the time, but as a couple these two were simply wonderful to watch.

I'm planning on Comfort and Gev going home. It certainly could be Mark, but his partner failed him as Nigel pointed out, so I hope not. We'll see... :)
See less See more
Well, I was close .. but no cigar .. I was blurting it out tonight as things progressed .. Bottom two girls - Kherington & Comfort .. Check .. Bottom two guys - Mark & Gev .. Check .. First Girl to go home - Kherington .. Check .. First Guy to go home - Mark .. Bzzzz! .. Dang it .. Missed it by THAT much! :lol:

Stuart, you should be happy now as Gev is gone. I would have preferred Gev over Mark but I'll say it now .. Next week .. set in stone .. well maybe clay :) .. Mark & Comfort go home .. but there is a slim chance that Twitch works his way into bottom guy position. No way Joshua or Will get there, and Katee, Courtney and Chelsie are just way too much better than Comfort.

The good thing is that Comfort knows this, and expects this. She's already gone past her goal so I'm happy for her. She's done well even though she could have gone home long ago .. Kudos.

I though the results show was just as entertaining as the normal show .. and for the record, I said "Shane Sparks" was the mystery choreographer before the dance but the second I saw the dance I was saying .. Nigel! .. Boo Yeah! :)
See less See more
Watching the show a day late, as usual...

Joshua and Courtney were pretty good on both dances. She's a cutie, though a little immature when she speaks, I think. Good thing this is a dance competition.

Mark and Kherington. Brutal. Not a good couple, and they didn't perform well tonight. Get your solos ready.

Twitch and Comfort. Not great on the first dance, but pretty good on the second - even though the dance was mostly lost on me. I didn't care much for that routine, but they did what they were supposed to.

Will and Katee. Best of the night. With the exception of that one slip up. Nuff said.

Chelsie and Gev. Pretty good. Better than I expected. I think these two will be dancing for their lives, but should be safe after the solos.

As far as tonights solos... I'm not a huge fan of solos anyway.. but I was completely unimpressed by Comfort's solo. If you got sent home, and then got a reprieve, wouldn't you come with EVERYTHING you possibly could muster. Her solo was just... same old, same old...

I'll predict Mark and Comfort are shown the door. Gev gets a reprieve based on the first contemporary dance that was pretty good. Now to watch the results show. :)
See less See more
Doug Brott said:
Well, I was close .. but no cigar .. I was blurting it out tonight as things progressed .. Bottom two girls - Kherington & Comfort .. Check .. Bottom two guys - Mark & Gev .. Check .. First Girl to go home - Kherington .. Check .. First Guy to go home - Mark .. Bzzzz! .. Dang it .. Missed it by THAT much! :lol:
You're better than I am. I figured the bottom 2 (and I think my bottom 3 would have been right as well if there had been a bottom 3).

I picked both dancers going home incorrectly though. I had Mark and Comfort, and if you had asked me to wager on it, I probably would have. I was confident they would be the two going home.

I think though that we learned alot about the dancers Wednesday night.

Joshua, Katee, and Will are ahead of the others by a good couple of notches. Chelsie, Courtney and Twitch are in that second tier.

Kherington and Gev, Mark and Comfort were even a step behind that.

I should have listened to myself when I heard that Comfort was coming back and I commented that she might stay if some one else stumbled. But I didn't, because I really liked Kherington.

I think Twitch would have to have a horrific week to dance himself into the bottom spot. I think his personality wins him another week. Joshua or Will would have to stumble significantly for Twitch to last beyond that.

I still love Twitch, but he's not the caliber of Will and Joshua, so I'm pulling like mad for Joshua. He's got almost as much personality as Twitch, and I think in this competition, he'd claim the "underdog" role, and who doesn't like to see the underdog win.
See less See more
I missed by thoroughly thinking Comfort would be voted off. However, as much as we all seem to think Comfort should leave, it looks like the audience in general is enjoying her dancing.:rolleyes: To be fair, her hip hop was fast and fun, though it shouldn't have been a stretch for her.

Kherington did have a pretty bad night, and based just on Wednesday night, I suppose she deserved to go. I just think Comfort has only had two good nights while Kherington has had more.
Yeah. It's unfortunate that, it seems, the voting went in large part based on just one week, at least in the case of the girls.

Kherington had been pretty good when paired with Twitch... you'd have thought she'd have some goodwill built up with the judges that would allow them to get through one bad week, but it didn't work out that way.

IIRC, the season that Natalie and Musa were paired together, they looked like worldbeaters each week, and I think he may have been voted out the first week that the pairs split.

I think in both cases, we found out after switching partners that they (Musa and now Kherington) are GOOD dancers, but they were dancing out of their minds in the earlier rounds thanks to a very favorable pairing. Because of the pairing in the first weeks, they looked GREAT, when in fact, they're just very good.
Kherington was BAD this week .. So much that she killed any goodwill that she had from previous weeks. I like Kherington .. But the other girls are so much better (sans Comfort) so it really didn't matter which of the two went home this week. Short of something off the stage happening next week, Comfort will be the one to go home for sure.
Doug Brott said:
Kherington was BAD this week .. So much that she killed any goodwill that she had from previous weeks. I like Kherington .. But the other girls are so much better (sans Comfort) so it really didn't matter which of the two went home this week. Short of something off the stage happening next week, Comfort will be the one to go home for sure.
I agree completely that she and comfort should be the ones going this week and next.

And, bad doesn't do justice to what she did on the dance floor this week. You're probably right she burned through any goodwil she had with the voters by being SO bad.... I was just a little surprised that the public "turned on her" so quickly.
I was excited this week that they introduced two new dancing.

I asked the first season I watched where the country dancing was. Glad to see it. And the contemporary ballet - the piece was just beautiful.

And the group Bollywood - WOOT! It was total awesomesauce.

We decided Nigels choreography was classed as Broadway Step :D

I was surprised that Kherrington was booted. Like really. I said goodbye to Comfort like 6 weeks running! She needs to go.
Oh, I am SOooooooooo ready for Comfort to go home (again).

Her solos are the same thing every time she's up there. And they aren't even that interesting.

I could watch Joshua and Twitch do their solos all night long... which is strange, because they've both got that hip hop style, which I don't particularly care for. But those two can sure entertain a crowd! Chelsea's solos are generally alot of fun as well.

Comfort, though.... we don't even bother watching anymore. We just FF through them because you pretty much know what she's going to do. It's the same steps all the time, pretty much....
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.