• Kourtni & Matt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twitch & Kherington

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Jessica & Will

Votes: 7 58.3%

So you think you can Dance 7/2/2008 and 7/3/2008

867 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Sharkie_Fan
Things should start to get interesting now. There are perhaps a couple of dancers that are not what I'd call absolute top notch, but everyone left is very good. There are a few that are really, really good and those folks should stick around but it's likely the bottom 3 couples will be a tough pick this week.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Without seeing the show yet, my early prediction for the bottom 3 is:

Will & Jessica
Comfort & Thayne
Kourtni & Matt

I hope Comfort and Thayne are the two to go this week, simply because they're the two who I've yet to really form any liking for. In my own personal rankings, if any of the other competitors go home this week, then they will have been "sent home too soon".

Once it gets past Comfort and Thayne, then I think you've got several couples grouped really close together and any of them could be in danger at any point based on that weeks performances.

I think Twitchington and Katee/Joshua should be around for a while. I think those two couples are just a notch above the other couples. That can all change if/when the couples start getting mixed up. I think those two couples really compliment each other nicely and that gives them the advantage at this stage of the competition. I don't think those 4 are individually that far ahead of some of the other dancers, but the pairings are to their advantage right now.

I'm wondering when we're going to see Travis chorograph a routine? In the auditions, he was the final "audition", dressed up as a girl, and they introduced him as "your choreographer". Was he just choreographing some part of the audition shows, or is he going to choreograph a routine at some point in the actual competition?
See less See more
Katee and Joshua .. Wow! they just Rock!

I really thought Kourtni and Matt looked good, too. But the Judges railed over them

Round 1:

Katee & Joshua
Jessica & Will
Chelsie & Mark
Kourtni & Matt
Twitch & Kherington
Courtney & Gev
Comfort & Thayne
See less See more
Round 2:

Twitch & Kherington
Katee & Joshua
Jessica & Will
Courtney & Gev
Chelsie & Mark
Comfort & Thayne
Kourtni & Matt

"Passion is a Fever and I think mine just went up." - Mary Murphy

OK .. I guess the winner tonight was Mia Michaels ..

The only one clearly in the bottom is Comfort & Thayne .. Likely also are Kourtni & Matt .. anybodies guess for the third couple, but maybe Courtney & Gev (I like them, too).
See less See more
Either the show is beginning to go more my way, or I'm beginning to understand the show. I'm glad I hung in because this episode was easily the best I've seen.

First, last night's episode was noteworthy for me because there was so much less filler, and I really appreciated that. The packaged pieces were a lot shorter and so were the judges' comments. This one really moved quickly.

I was also sincerely appreciative that the dances were more conventional and less hip-hop. I'm still trying, folks, but two people in Manning jerseys who run around like circus acrobats imitating the Mario Bros., that may take talent but it's not dancing in my book.

On the other hand the rest of the dances, including the other hip-hop number, were excellent. Overall I think the quality has gone up, even though there was nothing that blew me away like last week.

I really, really liked Joshua&Katee and Chelsie&Mark. They were all excellent and they continue to deliver top-notch dancing. They prove over and over again that they can conquer some very tough stuff.

I am also continually impressed by "Twitch" and Will but they are both much better than their partners. Kherington is doing a great job but she is does not seem to be up to the same standard. Jessica on the other hand seems to really be holding Will back. Thayne seemed to really step up this week, but he's definitely being held back by the increasingly disappointing Comfort, whom I had thought would be a crowd favorite.

As for the other two couples, I'd be fine seeing them go I guess.

I am searching my heart and soul to try to figure out why Mia Michaels is revered as a dance goddess. She certainly is innovative but her choreography seems to consist of people acting out things that are being said in the music, punctuated by fast steps when there should be slow ones. Oh well, there must be something I don't get.

Still, an excellent night of more traditional dancing and very well done.
See less See more
Sharkie_Fan said:
Without seeing the show yet, my early prediction for the bottom 3 is:

Will & Jessica
Comfort & Thayne
Kourtni & Matt

I'm wondering when we're going to see Travis chorograph a routine? In the auditions, he was the final "audition", dressed up as a girl, and they introduced him as "your choreographer". Was he just choreographing some part of the audition shows, or is he going to choreograph a routine at some point in the actual competition?
I will agree with your bottom three Sharkie and I'll predict that Matt and Kourtni will be the two leaving this week. The entire time they were doing their rountine I was sitting there thinking if another couple had the same two choreographers that it would look so much better.

Travis was the choreographer for the choreography stage of the auditions. Hopefully we'll see him get a whole number not just a quick 30 sec spot.
Stuart Sweet said:
I am searching my heart and soul to try to figure out why Mia Michaels is revered as a dance goddess. She certainly is innovative but her choreography seems to consist of people acting out things that are being said in the music, punctuated by fast steps when there should be slow ones. Oh well, there must be something I don't get.
For me Stuart, the appeal of Mia's routines is the fact that she can make you feel the story being told by the song. Sure most dances do that, but Mia is able to find that little thing in a dancers heart and is able to bring it out of them. If you get the chance or care to, see if you cant find the Hummingbird routine from last season, it was incredible to see.
jodyguercio said:
For me Stuart, the appeal of Mia's routines is the fact that she can make you feel the story being told by the song. Sure most dances do that, but Mia is able to find that little thing in a dancers heart and is able to bring it out of them. If you get the chance or care to, see if you cant find the Hummingbird routine from last season, it was incredible to see.
Yes, and really, the best example of that last night was tossing the roses on the bed in the second number.
Doug Brott said:
Yes, and really, the best example of that last night was tossing the roses on the bed in the second number.
Exactly Doug, but the other thing that comes to mind is this, Mandy Moore also does contemporary routines. Can you remember a single one she has choreographed ? I cant.
Ah. I guess I'm just a cold-hearted snake. I'll have to work on that.
Stuart Sweet said:
We all know better than that .. :p
Stuart Sweet said:
Thats not true at all. I was the same way the first season with Mia. She'll grow on you.
jodyguercio said:
Thats not true at all. I was the same way the first season with Mia. She'll grow on you.
FOr me, anyway, contemporary dance as a whole had to grow on me over the past several seasons.

Season two, Mia choreographed the 'park bench' routine, which was really good. But at that point, to me, it was just another good dance. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I didn't watch it and think to myself "Mia is a genious" (though that routine did get her an emmy nomination).

The turning point for me, with Mia, wasn't until last season, and the 'dancing in heaven' routine with Lacey and Neil. That's the routine that gave me goosebumps and I thought "Mia is a genius".

There are still some of her routines from time to time that I don't care for, but, for the most part, I really enjoy her routines. And, I do agree with you to an extent, Stuart, that some of her routines, as I'm watching, I'm thinking 'this part should be softer, slower' and she's choreographed in some harder, harsher movements at that part of the story. All in all, though, I think she's really good.
I liked at least parts of all of the dances last night, and this was the first time I thought Comfort looked like she belonged on this show. That said, she should have gone the first night and likely will go soon. I was quite impressed with Will and Jessica's opening number, and the following dancers kept it going. Mary and Nigel certainly were in critique mode--they didn't seem to like anything in the first round. Sure, there were nitpicks with most of the dances. I noticed that the timing was off for some on moves that should have been together and a couple of awkward-looking lifts, but on the whole, it was a great night of dancing.

I thought Mia's routines were average for her, with her best being those mentioned before--"park bench" and "hummingbird." I'll remember those two as outstanding forever.

I guess there really isn't anyone I want to leave, but one good night for Comfort isn't enough at this stage and she'll probably drag Thayne down too. I think both Courtney and Gev have done a nice job each week, but nice probably will land them in the bottom, with Ninja Matt and Kourtni most likely joining them there.

Gosh, Doug, I really appreciate you posting the poll--I'd never get any names spelled correctly without that! I'm sure I missed some anyway, but at least I can check some of them.:D

Time to watch the show! I hope you all have a great 4th of July tomorrow!!! :flag:
See less See more
Well, Kourtni & Matt are on their way. The right two couples were the bottom two, though. Somehow I actually picked this one 100% although I probably would have sent Comfort home instead of Kourtni. Too bad Nigel didn't have my vote to help him out in that regard :)

Each week is definitely going to get tougher .. These are some really good dancers. Courtney's Solo was Awesome. I really think she benefited from doing the solo routine. Heck, Gev as well. Both of them shined which is why they were saved rather quickly.

It's gonna be fun ..
I pretty much agree with all the comments here.

This was the first week I liked Comfort at all. I thought she did pretty well for both routines. I didn't like her solo at all, though.

I really enoyed both Courtney and Gev's solos. I think they probably will benefit from having 'danced for their lives'.

Matt and Kourtni.... probably the right couple to go. I actually liked both of them, but they never really did "connect" with the audience for whatever reason.

I didnt care much for Joshua & Katee's swing routine. Their first routine was unbelievable. They get #2 on the night for me.

Twitchington, I agreed with the comments of the judges on the first routine. I really enjoyed their second routine. #1 for the evening (ok, so my #1 is biased cause I really like these two!)

I loved Courtney and Gev's hip hop routine. Their "New York" routine was just OK for me. I had these two #4 on the evening.

Jessica and Will were very good tonight. Their first routine was good. Their second routine was excellent. I really enjoyed the second. Probably my #3 of the night, watching the show.

Kourtni and Matt were just OK on both routines. I think Nigels comments at the end said it best for those two. They came it at a high level and just stayed there. They're good, but they needed more. Bottom couple for me tonight.

Comfort and Thayne. I don't care for Thayne that much, but this was the first week I enjoyed Comfort. I thought she did a nice job. #6 on the night. I had them safe for the night, but they still have room to grow.

Chelsie and Mark. For me, they're like Kourtni and Matt. They're both very good, but they need a little more. #5 on the evening. Good, but gotta get better.
See less See more
I've been AWOL for over a month now, but I figured I'd some up my feelings of the remaining dancers....

Chelsie and Mark (surprisingly I didn't like them at first)
Kherrington and Twitch
Gev and Courtney
Katee and Josh (they aren't falling in my rankings, but others are climbing)
Jessica and Will (I am so in love with her :p)
Comfort and Thayne

And for some flashbacks.... the best two (IMO) dances from previous seasons...
Jamie and Hok -
Travis and Heidi -
kitchj said:
I've been AWOL for over a month now, but I figured I'd some up my feelings of the remaining dancers....

Chelsie and Mark (surprisingly I didn't like them at first)
Kherrington and Twitch
Gev and Courtney
Katee and Josh (they aren't falling in my rankings, but others are climbing)
Jessica and Will (I am so in love with her :p)
Comfort and Thayne

And for some flashbacks.... the best two (IMO) dances from previous seasons...
Jamie and Hok -
Travis and Heidi -
I'm kind of partial to this dance from previous seasons:
Lacy & Neil -
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.