DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Day-after-Xmas to everyone.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I notice that the picture on my Mitsubishi 62" DLP (WD-62725) is somewhat softer than when it was hooked up to the HR10-250. I am connecting the HR20-700 to the DLP using both component and HDMI. The picture seems to be the same with both connections. I have an indoor OTA antenna connected to the DLP. The HD picture from the OTA antenna is a lot sharper than the HD picture out of the HR20-700...MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

I've calibrated the picture using AVIA calibration DVD with no noticeable improvement.

Other than the softer picture I have had no issues with the HR20-700. I do miss the dual buffer but have learned to live without it. Life is full compromises.

Happy New Year to all.

Dan

Mit WD-62725
HR20-700 (0x10B)
HR10-250 (6.3b)

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Welcome, stretch!

Just a dumb question - what resolution are you outputting from the HR20? Easy to tell from looking at the front panel or using the Format button on the remote. Is it possible you're looking at the picture in 480i or 480p?

Another interesting thought - if you're running 0x10B - and I presume you are at this point - you should be able to run your antenna into the HR20 and record OTA as well. If you split the antenna signal so it goes both into the TV directly, and also into the HR20, does the resulting image look the same?

Finally I've noticed that KNBC must have had some change in equipment or settings in the last two weeks, because there are fewer dropouts and they use far less sharpening when converting SD to HD. Deal or No Deal, for example, used to be flat out unwatchable because of all the sharpening artifacts. I don't know if that is factoring into your perceptions.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lamontcranston said:
Welcome, stretch!

Just a dumb question - what resolution are you outputting from the HR20? Easy to tell from looking at the front panel or using the Format button on the remote. Is it possible you're looking at the picture in 480i or 480p?

Another interesting thought - if you're running 0x10B - and I presume you are at this point - you should be able to run your antenna into the HR20 and record OTA as well. If you split the antenna signal so it goes both into the TV directly, and also into the HR20, does the resulting image look the same?

Finally I've noticed that KNBC must have had some change in equipment or settings in the last two weeks, because there are fewer dropouts and they use far less sharpening when converting SD to HD. Deal or No Deal, for example, used to be flat out unwatchable because of all the sharpening artifacts. I don't know if that is factoring into your perceptions.
I have the HR20 set at 720P to match the native resolution of my Mitsubishi DLP. The native resolution is turned off on the HR20. I do have the OTA signal split between the DLP and the HR20. I did the same thing when I had the HR10-250. The OTA signal when viewed directly from the TV is sharper than the OTA output from the HR20. I spent a good couple of hours watching several shows using PIP for comparison.

Also I've noticed that the SD resolution is not as good as the HR10. Watching the Lakers on KCAL channel 9 is horrible (the SD resolution not the Lakers). My wife has noticed the same thing.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
I was doing the same thing (splitting a cable to feed both my TV and the HR20). A few days ago I pulled every cable and started over, including the antenna cables. I replaced the OTA antenna mess with a singleRG6 feed from the wall (my antenna is in the attic) to the HR20, and eliminated the feed to the TV.

My TV supports 1080i, so I have NATIVE on and let the HR20 send everything in it's native resolution.

By not splitting the cable, and improving it to RG6 (all the way back to the antenna) I am now getting better signal strength and more OTA channels. On my TV the HD feed from the HR20 looks great. I get it there via some fairly heavy 4' long component cables. If I take the one cable off the HR20 and feed it to my TV, the TV finds exactly the same channels at roughly the same signal strengths.

Don't trust that your split cable gets the same signal strength to both your TV and tour HR20. Also be sure you are using a good quality cables. Are you going straight to the TV or passing through a Pre-Amp? I recommend feeding the video signal straight to the TV, with as short and good a cable as you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.