DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question is the following a software problem that will eventually get fixed or is a hardware problem where I should get a replacement unit.

When I record any program (MPEG 4 or 2) after I view the program it asks me whether I want to delete the program or keep the program. If I select keep the program when I go back to the list and select play I either get a few different things. 1) It will play but all trick play commands do not work or 2) It will be a black screen (not frozen because I can exit out of it). I have already tried reseting the unit and that does not work

Just wondering if I need to be patient or request a new box, Thanks?

· Registered
5,952 Posts
nich0142 said:
One other comment, I am using the latest software EF or whatever it is because I do have 4 x FF.
Before I would send a box back to D* (assuming it isn't something obvious like the hard drive is mechanically messed up (you can hear feel strong vibrations/clanks, etc), I would try a full format of the box...in other words, reformat the hard drive and start over. It's possible that you have some bad sectors on the hard drive or corruption of some sort.

Go into setup and select RESET ALL (as I recall). You lose everything on the hard drive and all your settings (at least that's how it's supposed to work). You'll have to re-enter your programmed recordings (series).

Several people who have had similar problems did this as a last resort and have been fine ever since.

· Legend
182 Posts
RESET EVERYTHING just simply resets the receiver back to factory defaults...if you want to truly reformat the drive, here's how you do it..

(it's pretty similar to the R15)

1. red reset button
2. wait for the screen to blank out after "almost there"
3. press the record button and down arrow (on the front of the receiver)
4. wait for the receiver to power completely down..

then the receiver should come back up with the "hello" screen...
to make sure you reformatted the drive, check the MYVOD and To do list...

· Registered
5,952 Posts
untouchable said:
RESET EVERYTHING just simply resets the receiver back to factory defaults...if you want to truly reformat the drive, here's how you do it..

(it's pretty similar to the R15)

1. red reset button
2. wait for the screen to blank out after "almost there"
3. press the record button and down arrow (on the front of the receiver)
4. wait for the receiver to power completely down..

then the receiver should come back up with the "hello" screen...
to make sure you reformatted the drive, check the MYVOD and To do list...
Check with Earl...he maintains that RESET EVERYTHING does do a full format of the hard drive. You only need to do the procedure you outlined if you can't get to the reset menu because of some malfunction inside the GUI.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
hasan said:
Check with Earl...he maintains that RESET EVERYTHING does do a full format of the hard drive. You only need to do the procedure you outlined if you can't get to the reset menu because of some malfunction inside the GUI.
The RESET everything is supposed to do the exact same things as the down arrow record... but just from "reports", it appears that the down arrow record, does something just a little bit different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.