DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok do you guys do anything else other that force updates to your receivers; There is life out there you know

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
mlobitz said:
OTA... anyone, anyone...Bueller, Bueller...

I'd say the same for dual buffers, but please...
No...

Does anyone read the Release Notes?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No...

Does anyone read the Release Notes?
I read them before I even posted :D

This is build #220 if anyone is keeping score.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jamielee said:
Earl, I know you have got to have some sort of date for the ota, please pass it along, or atleast tell us what the problems are with it.

Also why is the sound effects option shaded and unavailable?
If I shared the date, it would be the last thing I would be able to share with you all.... seriously.. Even though I am under no formal, legal, NDA, or anything like... it is more of a handshake agreement.

Seriously though... It isn't much longer... I know you are all are dying for it.. and I promise.. the moment I can say... you will see a thread, just like the one for eSATA.

As for sound effects... Sound Effects don't work well over Digital Audio. So right now, they have opted to keep them disabled on the unit, until they can come back to that feature and make sure it won't cause any audio issues if they are enabled.

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
If I shared the date, it would be the last thing I would be able to share with you all.... seriously.. Even though I am under no formal, legal, NDA, or anything like... it is more of a handshake agreement.

Seriously though... It isn't much longer... I know you are all are dying for it.. and I promise.. the moment I can say... you will see a thread, just like the one for eSATA.
M vote is still Oct 13.....though that is fast approaching....:lol:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jamielee said:
Earl can you atleast say if its this month?
Also what about the sound effects tab and it being disabled?
Thread moves so darn fast.

1) No I can't say if it is going to be this month... The "Official" statement is before December 1st... but I am pretty sure it is going to be before that.

2) I did reply above... basically Sound Effects don't work well over digital audio, so they opted to disabled sound effects for now, and address it at a later time.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Give it a rest. OTA is coming. No sense badgering Earl about it. I want it to but I haven't been able to record OTA HD for 4 years, another month or two ain't gonna kill me.
Aye. It should become a rule that every person that asks Earl about OTA from this point on needs to buy him a beer. :D

·
Icon
752 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Give it a rest. OTA is coming. No sense badgering Earl about it. I want it to but I haven't been able to record OTA HD for 4 years, another month or two ain't gonna kill me.
I agree enough already about ota (I don't have hd locals...) Thanks for all the info you give Earl!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jamielee said:
It's okay... I understand the need and the desire.
You have to see some of the questions I hound my contacts with.. :D

:backtotop

·
Godfather
304 Posts
As much as I would like to be excited about OTA and dual buffers, I just want a stable f'n software release!!!
This is UNREAL DTV... what are you guys thinking??? Are you testing this crap at all before you release it? Do your programmers actually own the units and run them thru the paces? It just baffles me that a company of this size can have these kind of software issues!!!
here are my results of the new software release so far:
First off, my recording of The Unit tonight resulted in BSOD (before the software update), then after a reboot was gone from myVOD - nice work DTV.
After forcing software update to 0xDC - and then rebooting:
right off the bat there was this issue mentioned in the release notes:
"Known Issues with release
Pixelization During FF/RW functions. Noticeable primariy in 1080i/720p MPEG4 recordings, while FF/RW the video play pixelizes. This is due to updates with the MPEG4 code (which was changed to address other issues), the pixelizing will be corrected in a future release."
They need to add that the FF/RW funtion will actually STOP working all together - and the only way to get out of it is to use the 30secskip button!!! UNBELIEVABLE
Even as I post, trying to watch the HD MPEG 4 recording of Letterman tonight, these prblems are everywhere.
WHY KEEP RELEASING "UPDATES" IF THE NET OUTCOME AND PERFORMANCE OF THE UNIT IS CONTINUALLY REGRESSIVE!!! sorry for the caps, but my patience is quickly coming to an end.
So, it's not just pixelation during FF/RW, it just plain gets stuck and will not FF or RW properly- at least for me.
This is after 2 reboots.
I will be calling DTV tomorrow, and may even be seriously considering ending my relationship with DTV all togher.
The early adopters should not be punished, for wanting to record and watch HD content, period!
And now that is out of my system, I 'm off to bed...

·
Godfather
336 Posts
jbstix said:
As much as I would like to be excited about OTA and dual buffers, I just want a stable f'n software release!!!
This is UNREAL DTV... what are you guys thinking??? Are you testing this crap at all before you release it? Do your programmer actually own the units and run them thru the paces? It just baffles me that a company of this size can have these kind of software issues!!!
here are my results of the new software release so far:
First off, my recording of The Unit tonight resulted in BSOD (before the software update), then after a reboot was gone from myVOD - nice work DTV.
After forcing software update to 0xDC - and then rebooting:
right off the bat there was this issue mentioned in the release notes:
"Known Issues with release
Pixelization During FF/RW functions. Noticeable primariy in 1080i/720p MPEG4 recordings, while FF/RW the video play pixelizes. This is due to updates with the MPEG4 code (which was changed to address other issues), the pixelizing will be corrected in a future release."
They need to add that the FF/RW funtion will actually STOP working all together - and the only way to get out of it is to use the 30secskip button!!! UNBELIEVABLE
Even as I post, trying to watch the HD MPEG 4 recording of Letterman tonight, these prblems are everywhere.
WHY KEEP RELEASING "UPDATES" IF THE NET OUTCOME AND PERFORMANCE OF THE UNIT IS CONTINUALLY REGRESSIVE!!! sorry for the caps, but my patience is quickly coming to an end.
So, it's not just pixelation during FF/RW, it just plain gets stuck and will not FF or RW properly- at least for me.
This is after 2 reboots.
I will be calling DTV tomorrow, and may even be seriously considering ending my relationship with DTV all togher.
The early adopters should not be punished, for wanting to record and watch HD content, period!
And now that is out of my system, I 'm off to bed...
Don't let the bed bugs bite...

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Wolffpack said:
I guess it's safe to say the HR20 development staff must have alot more resources to draw upon than the R15 development staff. But I guess that's not really a surprise.
The HR20 is without a doubt DirecTV's flagship receiver. They have to make it perform flawlessly.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
DVRaholic said:
Wake up Earl, its 6:30 am CST, time to get up for work :)
MAJOR BUG Here :(

NOTE This on BOTH my HR20-700's,
1 with Internal Drive & 1 with eSATA
I guess your bug means Earl can magically fix?

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
sigma1914 said:
I guess your bug means Earl can magically fix?
I thought Earl was magic! Of course, I've been known to be wrong about such things. I thought frosted Lucky Charms were magically delicious, and they turned out to be, in fact, tragically malicious. I couldn't have been more mistaken, no?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Aye. It should become a rule that every person that asks Earl about OTA from this point on needs to buy him a beer. :D
Earl deserves a beer from each of us, anyway. I work with a blog that has an associated forum and it's hard to believe how the young woman who moderates it maintains her sanity.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.