1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Software 12/12/2006
Manufacture 700 - 0x108

Release Notes: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72913

PLEASE DON"T POST... DIDN'T GET IT, or GOT IT tracking posts in this thread, they will be deleted

Extended Staggered Rollout: Small subset of users first (mostly Pacific Timezone), then a gradual increaes of the user base. primarily by timezones. Being that this is such a large release, it make take several days for everyone to receive the update. Please don't ask why you don't have the update, unless you see an update that the release has gone national; and you don't have the release yet.

Tracking Threads We will continue with the tracking threads for problems with this release: See Post #2

The more detail the better Simply put... the more detail you can provide the better the feedback.

Special Sub-Feature Discussion Threads
The updated/new Record menu items - Discussion
The updated History feature - Discussion
The OTA/ATSC feature - Discussion
The ViiV feature - Discussion

Revision History:
Version 0x104 (12/06/2006): Discussion Thread Note: Was not released nationally
Version 0xFA (11/22/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xF6 (11/21/2006): Discussion Thread Note: Was not released nationally
Version 0xEF (11/15/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xEB (11/07/2006): Discussion Thread Note: Was not released nationally
Version 0xE3 (10/19/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xDC (10/11/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD8 (10/04/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD1 (09/26/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xCC (09/16/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread
Version 0xBE (09/01/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread

The Original HR20 Review Thread
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=61862

Tips and Tricks Threads
Official Tips and Tricks
Unoffical Tips and Tricks v2.9

Unoffical Feature Request Survey
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68183

Unoffical eSATA Feature Discussion
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66201

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Issue Holding Thread

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PLEASE!!!!!

In this thread, do NOT discuss the OTA not going national, and this release comming out in it's place. If you want to discuss that, or vent, or what ever.... take it to another thread.... as this is not the place.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
84 Posts
how national was is this release? and is it staggered like the last one was? I know it is in San Antonio and LA, does anyone else seeing it other places? Im not home to check mine and see if I got it or not Im in da Lou. (st.louis mo) If I get it then wow today would be like xmas for me. my broken xbox 360 comes back and OTA what will I do first hmm what to do what to do.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I'm glad to see the ethernet port is finally going to get a work out at least for some of us. I look forward to this and the continued expansion of LAN/Internet use.

·
Godfather
271 Posts
Do they have anything like a schedule for this other than starting west and may move east? Like a zone map or planned dates?

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
:eek2: Network with a Viiv computer huh? Hmmm, I may like this b/c I'd love to play mp3s through the stereo. Now, for me to figure out how to set this up is another story lol. My TW cable internet is nearby with my router like 4' away. Do I just plug into the router & go through a setup on the HR20?

P.s. I'm not as advanced as many of you, as I see many software developers and computer techs here. I'm not computer ignorant either. :lol:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
remlle said:
how national was is this release? and is it staggered like the last one was? I know it is in San Antonio and LA, does anyone else seeing it other places? Im not home to check mine and see if I got it or not Im in da Lou. (st.louis mo) If I get it then wow today would be like xmas for me. my broken xbox 360 comes back and OTA what will I do first hmm what to do what to do.
It is first going to those that had 0x104.
After it's initial period, it will be evaluated and then decided if it will go national or not.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
The big question for me is going to be, when it says it will stream mp3s, does it specifically mean .mp3 files, or will there be support for other formats, specifically iTunes? I am not an iTunes user, I prefer Windows Media WMA for several reasons which are incredibly OT. The point is, though, without iTunes Fairplay/AAC support, I see only limited appeal. I cannot imagine someone so keyed up to stream audio from his computer that he would burn his entire iTunes collection onto CDs and re-rip them into .mp3 format just to do this.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
84 Posts
so with the VIIV computer addon do you have to have a VIIV or whats the deal with it? will there be some application to run on the computer with the music files?

·
Icon
730 Posts
yes you will need an Intel Viiv computer to use that feature of the HR20, should it ever be released nationally.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strejcek said:
Earl, where are we supposed to vent? Every other thread concerning this release has been redirected here. Guess you guys are tired of hearing about this :D What I would like to know is, when are we going to get OTA? Sometime this month? Next year? Never? If you can let the rest of us less fortunate folk know what's going on. We're not lucky enough to live in CA or have your contacts at DTV, since you had OTA well before it was released the first time.
The "other" thread where redirected here, as they where talking about 0x108 as a release.

Please go ahead and start a new "venting" thread.

Sometime this month.... seriously.
The "purpose" of the staggered release, is to limit any introduced issues.
These are some pretty serious changes that went on underneath the GUI.

And yes, I know you all want OTA... and it is comming.
But the "threats" of dropping service, because they didn't get OTA yet (when it is just a week old)... You WILL get it...

And just a warning for the future....
This is how it has ALWAYS been... staggered rollouts.
As the user base of the units grows, the rollouts are going to farther apart... and take longer to get there. Just the nature of the process.

·
Godfather
314 Posts
Do we actually need a Viiv certified PC or just a Viiv certified device that is capable of serving music and photos in a Viiv'esque manner?

Intel is certifying all kinds of devices so perhaps we could see a Viiv Certified NAS in the future.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HDtoshiba said:
So the only thing that they released is a worthless ViiV Networking feature. Why wouldn't they use a system that more people could actually use?
So it is worthless to you, because you can't use it.
Guess they shouldn't release OTA then... as it is worthless, because there is someone out there that can't use it.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
HDtoshiba said:
So the only thing that they released is a worthless ViiV Networking feature. Why wouldn't they use a system that more people could actually use?
Probably because they have a deal with Intel, and as well it's easier to choose ONE STANDARD and work with it rather than every standard. Heck, even the HDMI standard is causing issues on so many TVs.

If you want the features, get a ViiV computer. If you don't (like me) don't worry about it. But if some do, why shouldn't D* do it?

·
Icon
942 Posts
Capmeister said:
But if some do, why shouldn't D* do it?
I'm not saying they shouldn't do this, but for god's sake, fix some of the problems before releasing new features like this. :confused: :nono2:

I just don't understand this decision. No wait, yeah I do... it's probably to please some upper management who needed to make a deadline to get his/her bonus.

Bob

P.S. My definition of "New feature" is something that is totally new. To me OTA is not totally new. It's just new to the HR20 and I agree with the decision to implement it while working on fixes to other items. Mainly because it is still the only option for some people to get HD locals.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.