1 - 20 of 647 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Software 12/15/2006
Manufacture 700 - 0x10B

Release Notes: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=73209

PLEASE DON"T POST... DIDN'T GET IT, or GOT IT tracking posts in this thread, they will be deleted

Forced Update Only; During "Santa" window; As of right now, this version was only available for a tiny window on 12/15/2006. This version has not been pushed to customer, and should be consdiered a Release Candidate, not a national release

Tracking Threads We will continue with the tracking threads for problems with this release: See Post #2

The more detail the better Simply put... the more detail you can provide the better the feedback.

Special Sub-Feature Discussion Threads
The updated/new Record menu items - Discussion
The updated History feature - Discussion
The OTA/ATSC feature - Discussion
The ViiV feature - Discussion

Revision History:
Version 0x108 (12/12/2006): Discussion Thread #1 Discussion Thread #2 Note: Was not released nationally
Version 0x104 (12/06/2006): Discussion Thread Note: Was not released nationally
Version 0xFA (11/22/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xF6 (11/21/2006): Discussion Thread Note: Was not released nationally
Version 0xEF (11/15/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xEB (11/07/2006): Discussion Thread Note: Was not released nationally
Version 0xE3 (10/19/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xDC (10/11/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD8 (10/04/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD1 (09/26/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xCC (09/16/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread
Version 0xBE (09/01/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread

The Original HR20 Review Thread
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=61862

Tips and Tricks Threads
Official Tips and Tricks
Unoffical Tips and Tricks v2.9

Unoffical Feature Request Survey
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68183

Unoffical eSATA Feature Discussion
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66201

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Issue Tracker

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HDMI Tracker

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
my history is showing 2 lettermans, although season passed, as cancelled; 12/25 and 12/26

wasnt this resolved?

·
AllStar
81 Posts
Hi guys,

Just got the 0x10B software. Thanks Earl & DTV! I have a pretty decent attic antenna and get good reception on all locals using the tuner in my HDTV. However, when using the HR-20 OTA tuner, the signal levels are much lower and one of the stations does not even come in at all (comes in fine using the TV's tuner).

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
Well, I downloaded this (didn't have the other OTA santa gift) at 11pm.

Here's what I find.

OTA works well, though I see overscan problems I NEVER see with my HR10, but I am on a different TV than my HR10.

OTA signal seems about as strong as my HR10, but NOT as good as my old H20 I used to have, which is disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

Closed Captioning seems WORSE. More garbled, out of sync on some channels (and it's not the station because the HR10 isn't out of sync) and the timing issues of one line appearing and then one below it when they should both appear at the same time isn't fixed.

Attached at pictures of the closed captioning issues that can be seen in pictures. Note the garble (sorry for blur on one of the pics) and note cut off letters.

Closed captioning, by the way, on WILX-DT (NBC) HD for Conan OBrian is excellent. On WLNS-DT (CBS) with Letterman is was horrible--garbled, late--terrible.

Attachments

·
5,222 Posts
Oh, as well, I still get the audio/video blackout when the screen is mostly white.

As well, more about the out of synch captioning issue. The captions on WSYM-DT 1 and 2 (one is HD one is SD but show the same shows) were both terribly out of synch on the HR20 but PERFECT on the HR10. This makes closed captioning USELESS to me, though it is mostly now because of the poor timing, poor placement, and cut off and garbled captions.

If this isn't fixed soon, this box is no good to me. :(

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
I have a switch that my H20 and HR20 feed through so I can go back and forth to view both OTAs. My OTA antenna comes in directly and has a high quality splitter to both these settop inputs. The H20 drives about 20% better reception on average over a exact channel-channel comparison.

I'm hoping D* used the same tuners (vendor, etc.) and it is just firmware tweeks to increase receive sensitivity on the HR20 but there is most definitely a difference that is noticable enough that some channels tune and others don't.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
thekochs said:
I have a switch that my H20 and HR20 feed through so I can go back and forth to view both OTAs. My OTA antenna comes in directly and has a high quality splitter to both these settop inputs. The H20 drives about 20% better reception on average over a exact channel-channel comparison.

I'm hoping D* used the same tuners (vendor, etc.) and it is just firmware tweeks to increase receive sensitivity on the HR20 but there is most definitely a difference that is noticable enough that some channels tune and others don't.

Hope this helps.
Are you going by the strength meters or some other measurement...because I have a very similar switch setup, and I actually get virtually the same strength on both boxes. I also noticed an HR20 increase on 1 of my OTA channels after about 30 minutes of operation - it has not changed since that time...its like the guide rebuild was delaying the channel sync-up...

·
5,222 Posts
When I had my H20 I could get in a station whose tower is 16 miles from here (strong) but the antenna isn't pointed at it. My HR10 doesn't bring it in. Nor does my HR20. The H20 did.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
just upgraded to 10B, all my OTA channels show up in guide but all are 0 signal strength. They all worked fine when antenna hooked up to built in TV tuner.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Are you going by the strength meters or some other measurement...because I have a very similar switch setup, and I actually get virtually the same strength on both boxes. I also noticed an HR20 increase on 1 of my OTA channels after about 30 minutes of operation - it has not changed since that time...its like the guide rebuild was delaying the channel sync-up...
I'm looking at signal strength meter. Also, I'll have the HR20 set to a OTA and it will drop out or was searching and switch over to H20 and the channel is working....jump back quickly HR20 OTA channel is out.

I also had a HR10 and it's reception was hit or miss on OTA. The H20 was leaps ahead of it ! The HR20 with the little I've tried appears to be not as bad as HR10 was but not as good as H20.

·
5,222 Posts
Update...as I paid attention to closed captioning on Conan O'Brian it is great. But the sound is out of synch a little.. It's not on my HR10.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
badit11 said:
just upgraded to 10B, all my OTA channels show up in guide but all are 0 signal strength. They all worked fine when antenna hooked up to built in TV tuner.
Try going to the antenna setup, and re-keying your zipcode, and then let it re-run the channel lookups. In my case, I keyed the zip in in the first place, even though it was prefilled, and all my channels came up well from the get-go.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Try going to the antenna setup, and re-keying your zipcode, and then let it re-run the channel lookups. In my case, I keyed the zip in in the first place, even though it was prefilled, and all my channels came up well from the get-go.
I've rekeyed in zip code, red button reset, and reset antenna setup and still 0 signal strength on all channels

·
Hall Of Fame
4,585 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
I had the same problem on Wednesday. The zip numbers were filled in but the system didn't recognize them until I went back and re-keyed them with the remote. Give that a try.

GH

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
badit11 said:
I've rekeyed in zip code, red button reset, and reset antenna setup and still 0 signal strength on all channels
Do they show up in your guide. If so, then also check and run a system test on the main menu with the right top tab. That will tell you if your OTA tuners are even getting any signal.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Do they show up in your guide. If so, then also check and run a system test on the main menu with the right top tab. That will tell you if your OTA tuners are even getting any signal.
System test sais both tuners OK,Acquired at 0%

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
Everything -- especially OTA -- already functioning pretty smoothly after the 1st Santa present. Tonight's update went smoothly > I decided to go back to square 1 and make it a "component update" and plugged back into HDMI afterwards > just to be on the safe side.

Everything still functioning as well as before. Finally experienced the temperature drop others have mentioned; though, obviously, I don't have a boatload of time on the system. Usually 122-129 > now 116 last time I checked.

Guess I'll have to grab a 10' ethernet cable, this weekend, and see what I might come up with using my Powerbook from the couch with the networking goodies. Not investing in a wireless bridge, yet > my wife and I still waiting to see what Apple's iTV will offer 1Q2007.

1 - 20 of 647 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.