Votes: 453 53.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
thekochs said:
I have a switch that my H20 and HR20 feed through so I can go back and forth to view both OTAs. My OTA antenna comes in directly and has a high quality splitter to both these settop inputs. The H20 drives about 20% better reception on average over a exact channel-channel comparison.

I'm hoping D* used the same tuners (vendor, etc.) and it is just firmware tweeks to increase receive sensitivity on the HR20 but there is most definitely a difference that is noticable enough that some channels tune and others don't.

Hope this helps.
Are you going by the strength meters or some other measurement...because I have a very similar switch setup, and I actually get virtually the same strength on both boxes. I also noticed an HR20 increase on 1 of my OTA channels after about 30 minutes of operation - it has not changed since that time...its like the guide rebuild was delaying the channel sync-up...

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
badit11 said:
just upgraded to 10B, all my OTA channels show up in guide but all are 0 signal strength. They all worked fine when antenna hooked up to built in TV tuner.
Try going to the antenna setup, and re-keying your zipcode, and then let it re-run the channel lookups. In my case, I keyed the zip in in the first place, even though it was prefilled, and all my channels came up well from the get-go.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
badit11 said:
I've rekeyed in zip code, red button reset, and reset antenna setup and still 0 signal strength on all channels
Do they show up in your guide. If so, then also check and run a system test on the main menu with the right top tab. That will tell you if your OTA tuners are even getting any signal.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
veryoldschool said:
The HR just doesn't seem to have a very sensitive OTA tuner.
Mine pulls in all the locals (12 stations, 6 in HD most of the time) with 100% singals solid on 5 of the stations and 90-92% on the other 1 station. They have been steady since the download, and I've already tested recording at least 1 program on all 6 stations (2 on a couple - all with perfect video and sound playback.

With my history using the H20 receiver, as compared with the HR20, I've learned alot about OTA - including all sorts of multipath potential problems, AMP/No AMP needs, and the key to direction being king for signal reliability. Two of my neighborhood HR20 compadres actually removed preamps on their OTA antennas to resolve multipath signals, and now get solid OTA. Another had to add one for his antenna type. This was the same thing with the H20 receivers. In short, every install for OTA is just a bit different. Splitters can further muddy the water.

There's alot involved in getting a solid OTA in addition to the HR20, and all can impact signal quality and strength - even the stations themselves. In my case, the local CBS station can have a solid HD OPTA one day, and weak the next. Luckily, even on bad days for them, I get at least an 80% signal and few problems.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
veryoldschool said:
The HD OTA tuners in most TVs seem to be better than what D* used for the HR-20, which is why I think DirecTV dropped the ball as they haven't used what seems to be "the industry standard" for the HR-20.
With local HD channels being a priority, and probably being expanded with the 2 new birds next year...my guess is at the end of the day, this is not a top priority to them.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
hasan said:
As far as I can tell that's normal and I like it. I often take a quick peek at the start of a show to see if it recorded properly, i.e., full length (it's just a habit...I've not had recording problems in the 12 weeks I've had the box). If a show is not greyed out, it means I haven't checked it yet.

I also like the fact that if I preview a show (and basically have it qued up for the start of the program), when I return to the program, even if days later, it takes up at exactly the point I left it (qued up).

So, as far as how the GUI represents a show and where shows are "revisited", I consider both outstanding features and not "bugs" or "anomalies"
Agree on all points.

The GUI is getting better and better all the time. The grayed out banding of the OTA channels in the guide is a nice feature, as (unlike the H20 receiver), you can quickly spot the OTA channels independent of the D*TV local channels.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
hasan said:
Yes, I noticed the GREY ota channels immediately and I really like it.

I hope the local affiliates get their current data to Tribune so I can see the remaining digital channels OTA...I have 4 missing, fortunately, none are major networks, but I do watch 2 of the 4 routinely.
Hope you get them soon as well.

I guess I'm lucky, as all of my locals are there and work fine. Even my multi-channel locals (like secondary OTA weather channel 11-2) work. We're also spoiled by having 2 locals with all news in HD. All streams are in the 90-100% range. OTA is super here.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
I think in general, for the 10B release (that I got via santa a bit early), it may be prudent to do a reboot once you have fully received this reelase, to make sure there are no lingering things in the HR20 from the update. In the brief few days I've recorded with 10B, all recordings of OTA HD programming, as well as regular HD and SD programming have worked without a hitch. I still continue to be able to fully view recordings going back as far as 2 months under previous releases without any troubles. I can remember that when I originally got my OTA setup a few years ago, it took some "adjusting" to get the optimum signal strengths and stable reception. Since then, to problems.

My guess is the primary remaining hiccups for anyone (if any) will range around people's OTA antenna setups, configuration,or signal strengths (in some cases causing lockups or reboots) and maybe still some HDMI issues with certain brands/models. After reviewing the most recent 100 or so posts on the 10B release and any issues, it appears that 80% fall into one of these 2 categories.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I don't seem to be the only user that had a reboot last night.
I wonder if: the national release caused my unit to start [try] to update itself.
My thinking: The unit received the update command, rebooted, found no new software, and just finished the reset. This would "explain" what I saw & also account for the other posting of the same "problem".
I believe you have stated the way the updated occured. In my case, I already had 10B (via Santa), and my unit did the same thing, as others have reported too. That would mean the guides are in "rebuild mode" during the 24-hour window.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.