• Other

Votes: 453 53.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,337 Posts
Everything -- especially OTA -- already functioning pretty smoothly after the 1st Santa present. Tonight's update went smoothly > I decided to go back to square 1 and make it a "component update" and plugged back into HDMI afterwards > just to be on the safe side.

Everything still functioning as well as before. Finally experienced the temperature drop others have mentioned; though, obviously, I don't have a boatload of time on the system. Usually 122-129 > now 116 last time I checked.

Guess I'll have to grab a 10' ethernet cable, this weekend, and see what I might come up with using my Powerbook from the couch with the networking goodies. Not investing in a wireless bridge, yet > my wife and I still waiting to see what Apple's iTV will offer 1Q2007.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,337 Posts
One of the funnier bugs I've ever seen.

Today has tons of EPL football matches recording and watching -- from 5:30 AM till mid-afternoon. Everything is running fine, so far -- three matches recorded, three to go.

So, I decide it's time to peep the To Do List and be certain everything's OK. Two 10 AM matches are OK and now recording. 1:00 PM match said everything is OK -- with the following addition:

Paraphrasing = "Partial recording because program became unavailable [13]."

It's funny because it hasn't been available to record, yet. It is listed in Guide and as I noted above, To Do shows it scheduled to record. Followed by irrational quote.

I'll check back in after recording/watching. Perhaps this is a note from the channel referencing a problem on the satellite feed from the UK earlier today -- it is a delayed telecast.

Update: Program ran just fine -- though ended up available for 15 minutes less run time than usual, they got the whole match in [on delay] with 1 minute to spare!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,337 Posts
wakajawaka said:
I think it's just a matter of time before I replace my HR10-250 and become a 2 HR20 family :)
I've already given away my HR10 and until 10B was keeping up with everything I wanted to record -- HD and SD. Not any more.

With the addition of local OTA HD smack in the middle of UK/Europe football season, I'm stuffed. If I haven't used up all my Good Guy credits w/D* -- and they get back in good supply of HR20's -- I think 1st or 2ndQ 2007 is going to see me trying to whimper another freebie from retention.

What are we ever going to do when there's a full choice of channels broadcasting in HD?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,337 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
#2) You can direct connect it to a DSL modem (since most of them are routers any way now adays), but right now... the only features enabled are home networking options.... so if you don't have your PC also connected to that same "router"/DSl modem... there really is no benefit right now.
I haven't lurched into experimenting with the ethernet port, yet -- but, I wonder -- if I did make this connection, can I then hack things around to running my browser onscreen > web surfing?

I've done this in the past > my TV supports a computer/DVI hookup and my Macs all support TV DVI in addition to monitor versions. I've been figuring on waiting for Apple's iTV -- but, could get tempted, now, to dash to the neighborhood Big Box for a wireless bridge if this was possible and simple.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,337 Posts
Rarely pad a recording; so, I don't know if the accumulation of updates, etc., in my HR20 normally does this -- but, I was able to reproduce this particular padding bug:

1 tuner record till 9 PM tonight. 1 tuner scheduled to start at 9 PM.

Went to add CSI [OTA] and CBS [local or national?] is pulling the jive stunt of scheduling the program from 8:03 to 9:03. I imagine their usual "let's frustrate folks who dare to skip commercials". So, after I added it to To Do, I went into the event to pad it to start 3 minutes early.

What I got was "Please Wait" -- forever!

I have about 25 SL's w/a half-dozen currently inactive. No overlap where the critter was faced with priority choices, anyway. Ended up with RBR to unfreeze the loop.

After the RBR, went back in > removed scheduled programs to take away any possible conflicts > tried to pad the beginning of the program, again > got same loop > RBR.

Now, I've added a manual recording for 3 minutes starting at 8 PM -- and the HR 20 seems to be taking that OK. My presumption is that CBS or the incompetents running our CBS Local have fiddled the info provided and that's what's confusing the scheduling software.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,337 Posts
I thought the problem was one of our less-than-competent locals. 3 of the 4 networks that D* will be carrying as mpeg4's still have trouble tgetting heir HD casts up regularly. The Fox/CBS channels are now owned by the same folks and screw up weekly; so, when I lost the CBS OTA HD feed altogether, I figured it was same old.

Called once. Got a non-answer.

Symptom was a black screen on that channel only -- no seeking for signal message though -- signal meter showed a strong enough signal; but, no content. Still not so unusual. I even rescanned for OTA once -- thinking something may have gone missing.

Today, idle time, thought I'd check signals, again; but, figured I'd riffle through the OTA channels. Started at the bottom/Fox/channel coming in OK > up through the mix and the top/CBS/nada. Worked back down and this time Fox was missing -- and same symptom as CBS > black screen after the banner faded and no seeking signal message. Started working back up, again > now, NBC missing > then a lockup with the whole array of what serves as background for OTA > blue screen, frame for banner; but, no banner > background images > nothing would move, everything frozen in blue including banner frame.

So, RBR, and everything is back fine > including the CBS channel that has been missing. Left the critter in standby except for a couple hours of proper football from London to repopulate the Guide a bit faster > everything recording and functioning OK, tonight, including CBS.

Just thought I'd get it noted. Never happened before. Never did a 2nd reboot after the last download which was the nat'l automatic after the Santa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.