Votes: 453 53.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 647 Posts

·
Mentor
30 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Are you going by the strength meters or some other measurement...because I have a very similar switch setup, and I actually get virtually the same strength on both boxes.
How are you checking the signal meters for the ota tuner? I only see the tests for the 4-5 D* satellites.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was hoping there would be a quick fix for the Music and Photo hanging with my Airlink 101 router in 10B. No such luck, but everything else seems to be as stable as it was.

Thanks for the opportunity Earl and "Romney" was "da man" in finding a workaround to get 10B downloaded after 3 attempts that got me 108 again and again and...well you get the idea.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
58 Posts
Got the update last night and so far, just one thing:

When we use the channel button on the remote to change channels and go fairly quick, it will bring up a Tuner Conflict Screen. I downloaded it to two boxes and they both have this happen. On one box, it lost audio via HDMI after this happened as well. On the other box it's going through TOSLINK to a receiver and I use component. On the box using HDMI, I had to reset the box to get the audio back.

Other than that, THANKS!!!

·
Legend
152 Posts
Still have the Upcoming:Title not available problem in the 700s. After downloading the new software, and a RBR, I went to bed. Looked at the 700s when I got up and BEHOLD it had the correct data. I forwarded to Sun to set up a record, but when I scrolled back, all of the channels that just had the correct data, now show Upcoming: Title not Availble.

This has been an issue ever since I got this box. You would think this would be an easy fix.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
vb-eagle said:
How are you checking the signal meters for the ota tuner? I only see the tests for the 4-5 D* satellites.
Menu > Help & Settings > Setup > Sat & Ant > Antenna Setup > Edit Off-Air Channels

Right cursor, then down cursor to Signal Meter.

Hit Select to change through your channel list, and observe signal levels on both tuners. The two tuners may show different signal levels, but not wildly different after the signal measurement settles. Mine for example:

Channel 5-1 WOIDT: 44/47 (tuner1/tuner2) ...and they reverse and change
Channel 8-1 KCCIDT: 100/100
Channel 11-1 KDINDT: 87/100
Channel 11-2 KDINDT2: 91/100
Channel 13-1 WHODT: 100/100
Channel 17-1 KDSMDT: 84/86
Channel 17-2 KDMSDT2: 84/85

These levels bounce around and reverse which one is stronger over a period of a f ew seconds.

The signal meter does not measure strength, it measures some variant of bit-error-rate (BER), which is the standard for evaluating digital signals.

Don't try to make inferences about small variations in readings...they are constantly on the move, if less than 100%.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
66 Posts
After the update I recorded two programs from OTA. Letterman on 11-1 and Great Performances on 8-1. This morning when attempting to watch Great Performances I go the "do you want to keep or delete message immediately. On Letterman I got the black screen and had to play with FF and Play to get it to go.

Noticed this in the prioritizer. Don't remember coming across the problem before.
If an entry shows no episodes scheduled you can not edit it. I had one that showed 2 episodes and I went in and changed to first run only. It then showed no episodes scheduled - there is no way to go back in and set for first run & repeat.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
HDMI Tracker
Earl, Thanks for helping make 0x10B possible. On 0x108 WMP11 was not able to connect to the HR20. I have 0x10B on both of my HR20s and WMP11 is streaming both pictures and MP3s to them beautifully. My wife and I actually got to look at some of our cruise pictures with background Calypso music, all streaming from my home server PC.

I did notce one problem and that is with the system test. When you power up the box and run system test, the OTA tuners report 0% signal. If you exit the test, select an OTA channel and then go back and rerun the test, the test now reports 100% on both tuners. It appears the HR20 needs to wake up the OTA circuit and logic before it can detect a sigall. When running the system test, it should automatically enable this function. By the way, it did the same thing on 0x108.

I also notciced the existing problem with backing up when adjusting the favorites.

Thanks for the good work you do.

azarby

·
Legend
221 Posts
OTA Problems this am in Dallas, OBS getting lots of pixelation on 13-1, when I flip in to TV tuner direct--perfect. Both antenna feeds off same splitter.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
NWAlilweaz said:
Thanks for the insight guys!! I downloaded the new update right at 10:01. went fine no hickups. as for other info:
Green Bay
I'm using a RCA powered rabbit ears thing and I've noticed that I could bring in more strength on my old h20 than with the HR20. HR20 seems touchy. Got all my locals except for WACY 32 but like I've said in another post; 32 is NBC 26's red headed stepchild so go figure. Didn't really play with the record button much yet but so far I am really satisfied. I haven't had any hickups (knock on wood) as of yet with this new rollout from last night.
Same here, I posted the same thing about channel 32 after 108. I think it's because they just switched their frequency from UHF 59 to UHF 27. D* probably still has them listed as 59, I know Antennaweb still does. I assume once D* knows they are on 27 we will be taken care of. Don't know how long that will take though!

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
First, thanks to all involved with this latest forced download. I have 010B downloaded and up and running without any issues except here in Tucson there is a OTA channel 13-2 which is not detected by the HR20 scan. I see this channel with both of my HR-10s. Any ideas?

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
Update on Closed Captioning: I am now seeing the British Pound (£) symbol, which I hadn't before, so that IS some improvement (just not what I'd hope for--I'd wanted an end to letter clipping, garbling, placement issues, etc).

·
3 Posts
Downloaded 0x10B last night. This forum was a great find. Thanks Earl and DirecTV for listening. My HR20 was setup on Thursday.

This morning I hooked up my $20 UHF antenna (sitting on a speaker) and added the locals. All went well with high signal strength. Some stations in the guide are not really my locals (or are too far out) so I removed them.

Guide->All Channels :
The ota locals I had removed are not present (as you would expect).

Guide->HD CHannels or Guide->Locals:
All ota locals show up in the guide (including those I removed).

Like I said ... very minor but figured I'd report it.

Again, very happy to have the update supporting OTA as CBS and Fox are not currently offered in HD in this market by DirecTV.

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Capmeister said:
Update on Closed Captioning: I am now seeing the British Pound (£) symbol, which I hadn't before, so that IS some improvement (just not what I'd hope for--I'd wanted an end to letter clipping, garbling, placement issues, etc).
Capmeister...I'm down south of Lansing, so if you need any testing done on the Lansing stations...I'm happy to help. I haven't ever used the CC feature. I'm getting all of the Lansing stations pretty solidly where I'm at with the exception of WLNS, which is strong, but I am experiencing some drop outs at times. So far my experience is that the HR20 is stronger then the HR10-250, however not as strong as the internal tuner in my Sony HDTV. I have a H20, but haven't tested that.

So far my experience has been good with the 10B software. I haven't seen any trouble, with the exception of a few audio dropouts on a local OTA signal that I paused, rewound and then played. On playback there were a few dropouts, but changing the channel and going back fixed it and no problems since.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
luv2fly3 said:
Capmeister...I'm down south of Lansing, so if you need any testing done on the Lansing stations...I'm happy to help. I haven't ever used the CC feature. I'm getting all of the Lansing stations pretty solidly where I'm at with the exception of WLNS, which is strong, but I am experiencing some drop outs at times. So far my experience is that the HR20 is stronger then the HR10-250, however not as strong as the internal tuner in my Sony HDTV. I have a H20, but haven't tested that.

So far my experience has been good with the 10B software. I haven't seen any trouble, with the exception of a few audio dropouts on a local OTA signal that I paused, rewound and then played. On playback there were a few dropouts, but changing the channel and going back fixed it and no problems since.
I don't have my H20 anymore, but found it to have a stronger tuner. You might as well.

I'd be interested to see how CC is on Primetime Fox with Channel 47 tonight. I'll be checking on the HR20 and my HR10.

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 647 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.