1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Software 11/21/2006
Manufacture 700 - 0xF6

Release Notes: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70588

PLEASE DON"T POST... DIDN'T GET IT, or GOT IT tracking posts in this thread, they will be deleted

Staggered Rollout Pacific Timezone first; followed by remaining timezones. It make take multiple days for everyone to receive the update. Please don't ask why you don't have the update, unless it has been a week since the release of the software

Tracking Threads We will continue with the tracking threads for problems and HDMI problems with this release (posts #2 and #3).

The more detail the better Simply put... the more detail you can provide the better the feedback.

Revision History:
Version 0xEF (11/15/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xEB (11/07/2006): Discussion Thread Note: 0xEB was never released nationally
Version 0xE3 (10/19/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xDC (10/11/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD8 (10/04/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xD1 (09/26/2006): Discussion Thread
Version 0xCC (09/16/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread
Version 0xBE (09/01/2006): Discussion Thread Issue Thread

The Original HR20 Review Thread
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=61862

Tips and Tricks Threads
Official Tips and Tricks
Unoffical Tips and Tricks

Unoffical Feature Request Survey
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=68183

Unoffical eSATA Feature Discussion
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66201

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Identified Issues as of 11/21/2006 10:50pm CST as of post 136

• Re-Occuring Pink TrickPlay Icon
  • Delay/Failure of MyPlaylist accurately reflecting a show's deletion, at the end of playback Post
  • Failed to record a show Post

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HDMI Issues as of 11/21/2006 12:00PM CST as of post 57

• Vizio L32HDTV Post

·
Legend
239 Posts
I have a couple of questions about the release notes:

1) Prioritizer ordering saved before executing a delete request: What does this mean, and how is it different than prior releases?

2) Time to tune in a channel: Does this mean the HR20 will tune the channel sooner before the a recording begins? I know that was listed as a possible cause for partial recordings.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
f300v10 said:
I have a couple of questions about the release notes:

1) Prioritizer ordering saved before executing a delete request: What does this mean, and how is it different than prior releases?

2) Time to tune in a channel: Does this mean the HR20 will tune the channel sooner before the a recording begins? I know that was listed as a possible cause for partial recordings.
For #1, this refers to the bug if you re-order your prioritizer... then delete an entry.... after deleting the entry, the unit used to reload the prioritizer from the last save point... which would lose the sorting

As for #2: I am assuming that they corrected something with how long it takes to tune the channel.... not making it tune to the channel earlier then it is supposed to.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Before we end up with 1000 posts on specific hiccups from this new release - perhaps we can try another tact.....

Some of us have not experienced any problems with the new releases, while others have.

There are a host of variables at each user's individual location, several of which may actually be the source of their particular woes. HDMI connectivity to specific displays/TVs, cabling, Dish install quality, and other variables may impact the user experience that are not necessarily attributable to the HR20 as the source of "issues".

HDMI in particular is a common problem for many other devices, in terms of compatability and connectivity. DVD players, for example, have a history of connectivity issues with certain sets, certain projectors, etc. If an HR20 works fine iwth component but not HDMI, than its highly probable where the problem lies. It's also possbile that nothing can be done on the HR20 side to address this kind of problem with a specific make/model HDTV - as the HDTV units themselves have been know to have compatibility problems with other devices as well. The introduction of HDMI, though supposedly backwards compatible, will potentially make this issue even worse in some ways from a diagnostic perspective.

I agree with Hasan's posts that the point--->counterpoint on each release has some merit, but only to a limited degree. Specific issues with specific environmental background information is the most useful tool to identify whether or not a problem is unique based on a locational characteristic or else mainstream.

Despite personally having 2 HR20s that have worked virtually flawless through all of the updated firmware releases to date, I empathize with those with issues.

That said, I think it is both too easy and non-productive to jump to the conclusion that every person or a handful of people having a negative feature experience or functional problem is only attributal to the HR20. This is sophisticated technology, and environments (cabling, dishes, switches, displays) are potentially equally sophisticated and complicated - leading to a number of potential sources of problems, maybe the HR20, maybe not.

One example of how people jump to conclusions - I had ongoing discussions with a local aquaintance who indicated he was having problems with many of the trick keys and other functions working properly, including slow channel changes, etc. He was clearly very furstrated and said he "hated" his HR20. After taking the time to visit his home and see the problems he expereienced, it became clear what was the culprit - he had a bad remote. Several buttons were not functioning at all or badly. I had brought my remote along, and all his problems disappeared. He has since ordered and gotten a remote replacement, and now says he "loves" his HR20. That's just one example.

To get to the point where everyone can enjoy what the HR20 does (or is supposed to do), we need to thoroughly and honestly first examine our own unique environments, and then make the determination of what problems we may be experiencing with the HR20 itself.

Earl has dilligently been working with everyone to help us enjoy the HR20 experience. I, for one, am grateful for all of the time he has put into this effort - despite not personally having any problems.

Milominderbinder2 has also obviously spent alot of time creating his great documents on undocumented features and tricks with the HR20. Kudos.

Perhaps detailed environment (or some form of that Earl can recommend) along with the specific problem report may help narrow the fix candidates (either the HR20 or something else).

Just a suggestion.

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Just curious, but I see a new thread each time a new release is put out but I see countless posts for folks wondering if hardware could be the problem in some cases. With that said, has anybody thought about tracking when your HR20 was manufactured? This would give you the opportunity of pinning down bad production runs if ever needed, the auto industry does it and it seems to work for them.

Maybe this has been done already and I just haven't seen it. Maybe when folks list their bugs and release # they could also include the manufacture date of the unit. Just a thought.

·
Godfather
336 Posts
Great Post, I have had very little in the way of problems (knock on wood)and I think a lot of it is because of the installation, material used and all other conditions are just right. Where as some people might have 1 bad connector and it could be throwing off their whole system. I wish we could all inspect each others installations and settings to confirm all is correct. The HR20 Buddy System.

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
I was kinda hoping there wouldn't be a new software release this week, at least not in the midwest (maybe they'll roll it out slowly). I (like many, I suspect) am traveling this week for the holidays. So I'm not there to make sure the HR20 is recording everything I want it to, and it will be my only way to watch those shows - any it misses, I miss. :(

So I hope this is an EF and not an EB! :)

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Here here, hdtvfan0001. I'd like to suggest that this thread be for detailed problem reports that the developers can use to get moving on fixes. If you're not really able to describe the problems you're having then I'd say create a new thread where we can all chime in on thoughts.

Also, I understand not everyone here can spend time testing alternate configurations (HDMI/Component, Series Link/AutoRecord, etc) but the more of us who do, the better. I hope those who are able to find good workarounds for their individual issues post them here, in detail.

One more suggestion... and I've been guilty of this too. Let's keep the OT chatter down in this thread. Plenty of other places to discuss what Earl's middle name might be.

·
Legend
219 Posts
Earl, can you expand on this one? It sounds like I can record on one channel while FF or RW on another. I thought we already had this capability.

New Features
Record key is functional during trickplay modes

·
Legend
159 Posts
For whatever reason, my HR20 went into standby after downloading this version. I never leave the unit in standby, and it wasn't in standby when I went to bed last night. I woke up to see all the lights off and feared the worst, but it did power up immediately when I pressed the front power button, and the update says it was done at 6:08am.

Any word on whether the "playback stability fixes" have anything to do with some of the partial/unwatchable bugs that have been floating around?

·
Legend
203 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Before we end up with 1000 posts on specific hiccups from this new release - perhaps we can try another tact.....

Some of us have not experienced any problems with the new releases, while others have.

There are a host of variables at each user's individual location, several of which may actually be the source of their particular woes. HDMI connectivity to specific displays/TVs, cabling, Dish install quality, and other variables may impact the user experience that are not necessarily attributable to the HR20 as the source of "issues".

HDMI in particular is a common problem for many other devices, in terms of compatability and connectivity. DVD players, for example, have a history of connectivity issues with certain sets, certain projectors, etc. If an HR20 works fine iwth component but not HDMI, than its highly probable where the problem lies. It's also possbile that nothing can be done on the HR20 side to address this kind of problem with a specific make/model HDTV - as the HDTV units themselves have been know to have compatibility problems with other devices as well. The introduction of HDMI, though supposedly backwards compatible, will potentially make this issue even worse in some ways from a diagnostic perspective.

I agree with Hasan's posts that the point--->counterpoint on each release has some merit, but only to a limited degree. Specific issues with specific environmental background information is the most useful tool to identify whether or not a problem is unique based on a locational characteristic or else mainstream.

Despite personally having 2 HR20s that have worked virtually flawless through all of the updated firmware releases to date, I empathize with those with issues.

That said, I think it is both too easy and non-productive to jump to the conclusion that every person or a handful of people having a negative feature experience or functional problem is only attributal to the HR20. This is sophisticated technology, and environments (cabling, dishes, switches, displays) are potentially equally sophisticated and complicated - leading to a number of potential sources of problems, maybe the HR20, maybe not.

One example of how people jump to conclusions - I had ongoing discussions with a local aquaintance who indicated he was having problems with many of the trick keys and other functions working properly, including slow channel changes, etc. He was clearly very furstrated and said he "hated" his HR20. After taking the time to visit his home and see the problems he expereienced, it became clear what was the culprit - he had a bad remote. Several buttons were not functioning at all or badly. I had brought my remote along, and all his problems disappeared. He has since ordered and gotten a remote replacement, and now says he "loves" his HR20. That's just one example.

To get to the point where everyone can enjoy what the HR20 does (or is supposed to do), we need to thoroughly and honestly first examine our own unique environments, and then make the determination of what problems we may be experiencing with the HR20 itself.

Earl has dilligently been working with everyone to help us enjoy the HR20 experience. I, for one, am grateful for all of the time he has put into this effort - despite not personally having any problems.

Milominderbinder2 has also obviously spent alot of time creating his great documents on undocumented features and tricks with the HR20. Kudos.

Perhaps detailed environment (or some form of that Earl can recommend) along with the specific problem report may help narrow the fix candidates (either the HR20 or something else).

Just a suggestion.
I agree that a separate section would be best for this. Although...I have owned this unit since the original firmware and have not had any issues until the last update (3 lock ups since Friday). Nothing has changed as far as cable configuration, dish setup, storms in the area etc. I definately would not want to start blaming installation, hdmi, etc and ignore the fact that it could be the firmware update along with some type of programming setup that certain individuals may have. I believe you are stating this, but just want to make sure. I have seen to many companies get the idea in their head that it is a setup issue on the users end then use this to slack off on looking for problems on their end.

Sorry...a bit frustrated today since it locked up again on me. I was like with no problems for a couple of months...then this.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I usually do not leave my system in standby either, but as luck would have it, my Daughter did leave one of my HR20s on standby. The other system was NOT on standby. The one left on standby was sill in standby and the on powered on was still powered on. I suspect that the whole LED state is now remembered through a SW update (perhaps even through a power cycle).

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
billt1111 said:
Earl, can you expand on this one? It sounds like I can record on one channel while FF or RW on another. I thought we already had this capability.

New Features
I don't have any other details on that feature addition

·
Legend
181 Posts
billt1111 said:

New Features
I think it means that you can hit Record while FFWD etc a "live" show.

·
Legend
219 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
I agree that most of the issues are self induced by a combination of totally human factors coupled with complicated technology. For some reason Chicken Little seems more believable to the masses than others who are calm and reasonable. I would be happy if the individuals with significant problems posted facts that could actually be addressed. Instead of "had to reset while watching LOST, when will this be fixed, my wife is getting mad" for the 3000th time, try to post something that can be acted upon by a remote software developer. The post then would be more enjoyable to read and informative to all.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
Earl,

Any idea if DirecTV is going to reneable the buffer while the HR20 is powered down. I miss that feature with the recent update. I really like the ability to leave the tuner on a default channel and that it will return to that channel while not actively recording--It was nice to turn to local news last thing at night and be able to turn on in the AM and rewind to catch weather/traffic/etc without haveing to wait 10 minutes or so to cycle through the other crap. Now, with no buffering while off--it stinks! I would just leave the HR20 running, but the remote shuts it off anytime you shut off the TV.

Or is there an easy solution that I am missing?

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.