DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Godfather
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got it. I'm in SoCal.

Still no OTA Antenna. Bleh. No pink square when FF or RW (CORRECTION- it's still there).

Notice anything else new?

· Mentor
49 Posts
I am assuming this will be a west coast update first. I want to thank you all for being D* test markets for the updates. Hopefully OTA will come soon b/c I missed the Buckeyes playing basketball last night. They show the game locally on their OTA digital channel.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Please continue the discussion in the main thread

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
glennb said:
Still no OTA Antenna. Bleh.

Nobody said it would have it. Bleh.

Do we have to say - no OTA every time new software comes out ?
:rolleyes:
No, but I don't think it will be an issue much longer.

· Mentor
43 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No, but I don't think it will be an issue much longer.
Earl,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Do you know if the OTA will work similar to the HR-10? It allows a primary and secondary market for OTA.

The reason I ask is where I am located we are in the Cincinnati area for locals through directv (both SD and HD mpeg4). But my house is far enough north in Cincinnati that I actually get the Dayton locals better with my attic antenna.

So I am hoping that I can pull the Dayton locals OTA with the antenna and also use the current Cincinnati locals from the MPEG4 sats from DirecTV.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
belboz said:
Earl,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Do you know if the OTA will work similar to the HR-10? It allows a primary and secondary market for OTA.

The reason I ask is where I am located we are in the Cincinnati area for locals through directv (both SD and HD mpeg4). But my house is far enough north in Cincinnati that I actually get the Dayton locals better with my attic antenna.

So I am hoping that I can pull the Dayton locals OTA with the antenna and also use the current Cincinnati locals from the MPEG4 sats from DirecTV.
Yes, it should work very similar in that manner.

· Legend
228 Posts
Rather than waste space in the main update thread - can a representative from each time zone post when received? I'm sure you all can work out who will represent each in a peaceful manner.....

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
I thought someone else not in the Pacific time zone said they had it. I'm confused too.

Nevermind. They are in NV. Didn't realize that was in the Pacific time zone.

· Banned
1,614 Posts
Once OTA gets released I'm sure some people will hook up an old rooftop antenna that hasn't been used for years, and years since way back before DIRECTV started offering local SD channels, get a crappy OTA HDTV signal strength that causes the picture on the screen to stop&start and break up all the time and they'll be coming here to say - OTA on the HR20 sucks !! The box is a POS, Why does DIRECTV refuse to acknowledge this problem, etc...

I think one thing holding up OTA being enabled is the forum storage capacity upgrade required when OTA is enabled. :)

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
glennb said:
I think one thing holding up OTA being enabled is the forum storage capacity upgrade required when OTA is enabled. :)
Wow... you are good... how did you know?

· Registered
2,158 Posts
glennb said:
Once OTA gets released I'm sure some people will hook up an old rooftop antenna that hasn't been used for years, and years since way back before DIRECTV started offering local SD channels, get a crappy OTA HDTV signal strength that causes the picture on the screen to stop&start and break up all the time and they'll be coming here to say - OTA on the HR20 sucks !! The box is a POS, Why does DIRECTV refuse to acknowledge this problem, etc...

That is so so true!

But, isn't it true that you would only need about a $50 investment in an antenna if you are like 40-50 miles away from broadcast antenna?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Vinny said:

That is so so true!

But, isn't it true that you would only need about a $50 investment in an antenna if you are like 40-50 miles away from broadcast antenna?
Roughtly $50... probably more like $75-$100 for an antenna for that kind of range. Most antennas don't include their mounting hardware...

Mine... I am 40 miles, with an attic mounted antenna, an I think I spent about $80

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Vinny said:

That is so so true!

Depends on terrain. If you are in the midwest, out in the country, (like I am), the 25 dollar Radio Shack u-71 40" yagi/corner reflector will get you excellent signals at 40 to 50 miles, as long as you don't live in a river valley. (assuming your HD stations are all on UHF, as mine are)

Go to antennaweb.org and have it tell you what you need.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.